Heating in August?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I still do not think it is right to charge extra for heating. Try doing this in a ski resort in winter and you would be very short of visitors.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Charging extra for heating, air conditioning or indeed giving an allowance and then charging over that is very common in Ibiza. And it doesn't depend on the property price...many houses at the top end of the market will charge extra.

Although heating isn't an issue with me, A/C is. I decided that instead of factoring in a cost on the rental I would give people the option to choose or not. Therefore they pay if they want it and don't if they don't.

I think as long as people are aware of what you're doing then that's the best solution all round.
I can understand the concerns over guests racking up bills (I've seen enough evidence of people having A/C on 24/7 with windows and doors open :D ) - we all should take account of our outgoings when working out the price of the rental and anything that effects that longterm would I suppose be a concern.
Luckily this seems to be a short term issue and a very unusual occurance, in an otherwise warm area, that may not happen again for many years.

Personally I can see I'm in the minority on this issue as I would expect to pay a little extra for heating in summer or be given an allowence (on the basis that surely it would never have been factored into the price) for instance I'm holidaying in Mallorca at the end of October and haven't considered heating in the house, I'm taking jumpers! However I would expect to have full heating if I was holidaying in the winter time somewhere I would expect to be cold.

Horses for courses I suppose! No-ones right or wrong - it's all opinions at the end of the day! The trick, surely, is to ensure you meet your clients expectations :wink:

Anyway motefarm...I hope the bad weather doesn't continue for too long and that it hasn't prevented your guests from enjoying themselves :D

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

we've just put a card meter on the A/C and heating circuit, which cost me about £80. 100 x 10 euro cards was about £9 and we'll leave 4 in the apartment in an "honesty box" and if the guests need more they will be able to get them from the agent. Hopefully this will cover all bases and it's expalined fully in the info pack I send out when I get enquiries :)

We also provide fans in case people prefer to use these, but not heaters.
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
remote

Post by remote »

Thank you Mousie. Have you ever thought of joining the diplomatic service? You'd get to sample many different cheeses.
Mandy :)
A turkey is not just for Christmas
Leo2

Post by Leo2 »

Hi Mandy ,I am posting again because unfortunately you are still missing the point!
Your website says central heating! therefore it is a feature of the property!

Before you gave them the all clear to use the heating (adding that they use it sparingly)
you checked the weather forecast and asked for advice on the forum ,
asking if you should charge extra money,

Kind regards,
Leo
ps
edited ,as not to cause offence
Leo
Last edited by Leo2 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Did you know that ,a ----Murphy 17 inch -----was a television set!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

motefarm wrote:Thank you Mousie. Have you ever thought of joining the diplomatic service? You'd get to sample many different cheeses.
Mandy :)
now there's the thing....apart from feta and goats cheese I really prefer English cheese! :oops: I love a wee nibble of Wendsleydale...or Cheshire :D

There......my secrets out! :lol:

Mousie
x
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Leo I think it's perhaps time to leave this one alone, as we seem to have covered all angles of the debate.
I say A/C on my website - but guests don't automatically get it as part of the deal.

I also feel (in my humble opinion) that with this statement;
on a booking producing £1200. pounds you say leave them 1 bottle of wine
(cost 2-5 euros) and your your house sleeps 8 ! Many people would not regard that as complimentary
you have got very close to abusing rule no. 1 of this forum.

I don't believe that any poster on this forum should be put in the position where they have to justify the price they charge for rentals. We all operate in differently priced markets.

Mousie
x
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

motefarm wrote:Hi Leo
You're absolutely right, it's just that I'd invisaged that guests in September might need to make use of it, not August.
I might be wrong but i think Leo is trying to say you are charging 1200 pounds for August and only 800 pounds for september, when guests just might need to put the heating on.

However i been told september and October is going to be bloody HOT!!! :lol:
Nessie
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Sorry Mousie
must have posted at the same time
Nessie
Leo2

Post by Leo2 »

Mouse wrote:Leo I think it's perhaps time to leave this one alone, as we seem to have covered all angles of the debate.
I say A/C on my website - but guests don't automatically get it as part of the deal.

I also feel (in my humble opinion) that with this statement;
on a booking producing £1200. pounds you say leave them 1 bottle of wine
(cost 2-5 euros) and your your house sleeps 8 ! Many people would not regard that as complimentary
you have got very close to abusing rule no. 1 of this forum.

I don't believe that any poster on this forum should be put in the position where they have to justify the price they charge for rentals. We all operate in differently priced markets.

Mousie
x
I did not question the rental price at all!just that 1 bottle of wine between 8 is inadequate ,considering that they are paying guests.
Leo

Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Then as a suggestion perhaps you needn't have mentioned the rental price at all?

Perhaps you meant to say;

I notice you mention on your website that you leave a complimentary bottle of wine - which I'm assuming means 1 bottle between 8, could I suggest that 2 bottles might be better received by your guests?

that sounds much better & no mention of rental price which could be thought (at least by little ol' me) to have been antagonistic :wink: :D

Mousie
x
Leo2

Post by Leo2 »

Mouse wrote:Then as a suggestion perhaps you needn't have mentioned the rental price at all?

Perhaps you meant to say;

I notice you mention on your website that you leave a complimentary bottle of wine - which I'm assuming means 1 bottle between 8, could I suggest that 2 bottles might be better received by your guests?

that sounds much better & no mention of rental price which could be thought (at least by little ol' me) to have been antagonistic :wink: :D

Mousie
HI Mousie,

x

Hi Mousie,
Thank you, point taken
Kind regards,
Leo

Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

motefarm wrote:
Thank you Mousie. Have you ever thought of joining the diplomatic service? You'd get to sample many different cheeses.
Mandy

now there's the thing....apart from feta and goats cheese I really prefer English cheese! I love a wee nibble of Wendsleydale...or Cheshire

There......my secrets out!
Hi Mousie must agree with Mandys post :!: :wink:
and of course as we all know Mouses like a little nibble of cheese..and wine to go with it Im sure :D
gh

Post by gh »

However i been told september and October is going to be bloody HOT!!!
Wow hopefully Nessie, the weather is all topsy turvy this year.

Helen
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Quote:
However i been told september and October is going to be bloody HOT!!!
Lets hope so Nessie :!:
[and also that this prediction wasnt from the same[relable :roll: ] source that said the UK was going to have a heatwave this summer :roll: :(