Returning security deposits?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

mon269 wrote:I don’t do cheques, only transfers. The security deposit is paid with the balance and as Mouse, I transfer it back the day after departure. The only problem I find with this is that I need to ask for a bank account number and not everybody is happy with this.
Hi Mon

Do they pay you initially with by cheque ? If not, and you have to give them your bank details, as we do (we take all payments by transfer) then I find they don't seem to mind giving out their details too much as I've already passed across ours.

I sometimes suggest that they email me one number (like the IBAN or sort code) and then text me the other. This at least gets round any nervousness they might have about emailing all their details in the one email across the interweb. Doesn't get round the fact that they're giving them to me, but then as I've already shown them mine (!) and they've often already stayed at our place by the time they remember to forward the details, the relationship is pretty established.

Cheerio
Beanie
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

When someone asks to use the bank transfer method, I send them my bank details in image form. I use the screenshot I took of the printable RIB function my French bank offers.

I like it both because it means I'm not sending my bank numbers in text all over the web (not that I keep much money in that account, but you never know), and I also know I haven't made an error re-typing the information.
Brooke
mon269

Post by mon269 »

My account number is in the contract I send out to them, so yes, by the time I need to ask them for theirs, I have already shown mine (never get tired of this one :lol: ). So far I have not found anyone worried about sending the number over the net, mostly about giving it out. :shock:

Is sending sensitive information on an attached document safer than sending it on the email body?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Is sending sensitive information on an attached document safer than sending it on the email body?
My idea on this is probably a relic from the first few years of the web, when people would set up "sniffers" to check the text contents of e-mails whizzing across the net, and lift things like credit card and bank account numbers from them. I don't think it would matter if I attached a text file, but because it's an image that I attach, a text reader wouldn't be able to tell what was in the image. I've always thought (possibly incorrectly) that it's a bit more secure.
Brooke
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

vrooje wrote:When someone asks to use the bank transfer method, I send them my bank details in image form. I use the screenshot I took of the printable RIB function my French bank offers.

I like it both because it means I'm not sending my bank numbers in text all over the web (not that I keep much money in that account, but you never know), and I also know I haven't made an error re-typing the information.

Hi Vrooje

This is an interesting point about the image file and I too recall the initial interweb days when you needed to watch our for 'sniffers' looking for certain combination of words & numbers in email bodies. I'm sure these ... er irritating people are even more sophisticated these days so best to be cautious.

I'm sure the image file must help get round these as otherwise I wouldn't be seeing so many bleedin' spam emails come in getting past the filter due them being in image form within the email body.

Also, you make a very good point about not keeping much money in the 'public' account. We actually set up a separate savings account which guests pay into. Swiftly after the funds go in, I transfer them out so all of 5p remains at at one time :lol: (bet the bank love me). Also, it cannot have debits made from it from anyone other than the two account holders and we have to go through security etc.

I then pay the deposit back from a cheque account either by transfer or v. occasionally by cheque.

Beanie

BTW Vrooje - is your new avatar something astral ? I recall from my wading through of old threads that astromony is a huge passion of yours - you'd get on well with my OH who's about to order an 'apochromatic refractor' hmmm yes, well ... better than a motorbike I guess :wink:
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

As far as I know, there is no danger in publicising your bank details. ALL German businesses, large and small, publicise their bank account details as cheques are virtually never used here - everything is paid by bank transfer. We have had our bank details on our website for our other business since the mid 1990s and never had any problem. We don't bother for the lettings because 95% pay by credit card.