How many repeat bookings do you have?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
helene

Post by helene »

Interesting thread on repeat bookings and incentives so thanks for sharing your thoughts. To share what we do here at La Briquerie in Brittany after running for 6 proper seasons:

- We have on average about 30% return guests each year although they may not come on consecutive years (and we like them to try elsewhere). Some are up to 4 visits in 6 years.

- I agree with other postings which suggest that repeats are more likely where a personal 'relationship' can be developed and this is because we are here on site and on hand to offer those extras that different people want. Obviously personal chemistry means a great deal although we are very lucky to have lots of great people/families stay here. But hey even if they are not our sort of people they only stay 1 or 2 weeks and that is not a lifetime.

- If guests come again then we do offer them discount even in the peak times - we do this because we want them to know we appreciate their return and want them to feel treated and special. I know this can be achieved in other ways - but this seems to be the most straightforward to us. Having said that I now realise that we should have some sort of policy and am quite taken with the idea of the previous years price or 5% discount - will have to ponder that and do some research as I was not going to raise my peak season prices for next year. Previously any retuners discount has been a bit haphazard as I was fine tuning pricing which means I have lots of different rates to try and encourage bookings on less popular weeks.

- Interestingly we do not offer a welcome pack although I offer to do shopping and do offer an evening meal. Having said that we do stock the cottages with cleaning materials, dishwasher tablets, toilet rolls, paper towels, etc. Having read that thread I am going to include basics like salt and pepper, etc. from next year.

- When guests arrive they are always offered a drink, ice cream, etc. although in most cases they have not had a long journey so again I feel that somewhat negates the benefit of a welcome pack here.

- I saw LV leaves wine and beer in the fridge and we have thought about doing this. However currently we talk to the guests about any wines they like and then make some recommendations about what is available locally. We often follow this up with a glass to taste or a bottle which they either return to us if they did not like it or replace when they buy it later in the week.

regards
helene :D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Delightful properties Helene and no surprise guests keep coming back!

I decided that 5% discount was too generous in high season - we only just break even with our outgoings and ideally would like to make improvements to the house so only apply this discount to shoulder season now, as I may have already said.

BTW was happy to see that your lovely canine friends are called Sooty and Sweep; we too had a 'Sweep', a feisty little wire-haired daschshund whom we miss loads.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
helene

Post by helene »

Thanks GG :D

I have picked up lots of help and practical tips from within this forum over the years and want to contribute where I can hence my coming back after a bit of an absence.
Helene
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

We do same as you, GG - 5% off for the shoulder season and we don't tell them until after they book.
It's just a thankyou but we cannot afford to do it in peak season. Our repeat bookers have usually stayed in peak time and then rebook for a shoulder time when it's a bit cooler so it really works out well.
Have just got another from the guests who left yeasterday so my 3 bookings for next year are all repeats so far. Normally, I would guess we have about 25% repeats but we do live on site and give away free drinks and tapas at the bar quite often so maybe that's why they come back !!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hmm, yes, that is certain to generate good will FF. One of the nice memories for a guest to take home, like this one too:
enid wrote: Kevin cooks a mean meal once a week too and we always give the guests some of our own walnut wine!!!! :)
Welcome back BTW Helene!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
enid

Post by enid »

We do charge for the meal though!! - just to cover costs but there's always a great atmosphere - the wine is a gift :)
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Hi Helene.

Lovely properties. I loved the photo of Sooty and Sweep, but it occured to me, since you're talking about things for children, that the photo of Tess makes her look rather fierce! I'm sure she isn't at all, but have you got a gentler looking pic of her? Parents with nervous children might be put off.

Topcat (who still likes dogs)
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
helene

Post by helene »

Thanks Topcat :D useful to know about Tess's photo. It is perception and that is why the forum is so useful as we can only see what we see, so it needs someone else to share their perceptions - if you know what I mean. I need to get into the habit of changing photos anyway so the website looks refreshed so that can be one I target.
best wishes
Helene