How many repeat bookings do you have?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

You people are ruining my website counter statistics! :)
Anyway, you are also being helpful in focussing on our repeat visitors. If a couple of outstanding enquiries come off, then 15 out of 167 families/groups who have visited in the last 15 months will have booked at least one repeat visit, which wasn't seeming all that great to me.

We never expected to get any repeat bookings because we are in such an obscure, out of the way place, we thought we would only get people who search out a different holiday location each year.

So it would be interesting to know what sort of percentage of repeat visits other people get? If you have been checking out our website, I would also be interested to know how our guest book entries (100% genuine) compare with other people's. People really do tell us that we have the best accommodation they have ever stayed in and we are the only 5 star apartments for miles around. But I'd still like more autumn and spring bookings...... not to mention spending less money on advertising.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Margaret, I'm going to split this off into a separate topic, as it's certainly an interesting one, and doesn't just apply to 2009 bookings! :)

We don't have a huge percentage of repeat customers, though we do have some. I've always wondered what we could do better to attract repeat guests. For those of you that have a lot of repeat bookings (for example, if I'm not mistaken I believe Alan has a high fraction of repeat clients), what's your secret -- if you have one other than high standards and a high level of service?
Brooke
enid

Post by enid »

Just come back from having an aperitif with the guests - one family has booked two weeks for next year. I think 30% of our bookings are repeat bookings. I don't really know why but they are increasing year on year. Also bookings from recommendations go up each year. This is very gratifying. We have huge competion here and are very rural and in a relatively unknown department so we are very pleased to be building a good reputation. Kevin cooks a mean meal once a week too and we always give the guests some of our own walnut wine!!!! :)

P.S. The hens and the dogs are a hit too. The other family that are here with their 4 year old aren't in a position to have a dog in the UK and the parents aren't into dogs but their little girl loves them and they told me thay have pretended that the dogs were theirs for the week. Fresh eggs from freeerange hesn is a bonus :)
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

167 families or groups in 15 months! wow thats a lot ... I need to go and look at your website now to see what you offer, sorry will change your web stats again!

:D :shock:
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

In the three seasons that we have been renting I have only had two return guests.

Reading that may lead us to think that our guests are not happy with our 'service or standards', but the feedback that we get suggests otherwise, our guests all say that they have had a wonderful time and the Questionaires all look good.

I think maybe the people who book a holiday in a beach resort in Cyprus are probably the type who like to try different resort holidays every year, perhaps visiting Cyprus one year, then Tenerife, then Florida, etc. etc. Just a different market I think. Before we had our holiday home, I would never have considered going to the same place twice.

Ruth
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Our third winter season is coming up, and our second summer one coming to a close. We have had a total of 31 separate bookings , 5 of which are repeats, one from the summer season and four from the winter. I had another family of 5 wishing to rebook but I have reduced the occupancy to 4 plus child under 12 and they were all over 16. One family wish to book each half-term week in February for the foreseaable future. I have agreed to retain their damage deposit as a down-payment for the next year provided they still wish to book, and have left the apartment in a satisfactory condition. I probably wouldn't bother charging them the deposit, but they asked me if I would do it like this.
Last edited by Hells Bells on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ju

Post by Ju »

We get about 20% repeat bookings. It would be higher but we book summer far in advance so sometimes the would be repeaters loose out.

I don't know the secret - I think some of it comes down to personality, especially for those on site. If the guests get on well with us, and their children get on with ours then they often come back. We get more repeaters to the property on site, any those that stay in the other properties first often come back to the on site one.

Ju
kteee

Post by kteee »

This year, approximately 55% of my bookings were repeats or recommends
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but I'm curious to know if people give a discount to repeat / regular guests as a kind of 'loyalty' gesture.

I guess this could have quite a dent on income if your percentages are up as high as Margaret's.

I wonder if repeat / regular guests even expect it ?

We're only in our 2nd year of renting and are quite chuffed that we're having guests return from last year or book to return to try it in a different season.

The first time it happened, we were so thrilled that we offered a 10% discount, but in hindsight, feel that might have been a little much given that it was in peak time. They were great guests though. Since then, we've had others re-book and I've stayed schtumm - now feel a little mean.

Beanie
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We've given a 5% discount, but only if the price has not already been reduced (such as a late booking), and not for a short stay. Our repeat winter guests got it at the same rate as last year (which worked out at 5%). They will be charged this years rate for next years half term if they still want it.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

We get around 20% repeats & referrals, would be more if we didn't get booked up so early. I give discounts as and when I feel it is appropriate or depending on how much I liked the guests and if I really want them to come back. I don't have a definite discount policy, repeat bookers on the whole often leave the house in an increasingly messy state, so it isn't worth giving a discount every time.
brenda

Post by brenda »

This year we have had about 50% repeat bookings.

We don't give returning guests a discount on the price but offer them a free Evening Meal - this doesn't cost us a great deal and generally, once they have eaten here, they book in for Dinner several more times during their stay: several have ended up eating here every night of their stay which really helps the kitty!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I have a high return booking rate. Most of the returners seem to book very soon after their vist. If everyone returned who said they would i'd never need another listing site.

New thread alert!

Perks for repeat bookers....
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Firstly, an apology. It's not 167 in 15 months. The time period should be 2 years 3 months. Sorry about that. We had one apartment in the 1st year, 3 in the 2nd year and 5 this year (having bought a neighbouring house last summer because we were booked out).

Sounds like I was right about our percentage not being particularly high.

I would definitely agree that being on site and offering a personal service makes a big difference. We try to offer most guests a free schnaps tasting evening and also a barbecue, especially when we have all 5 apartments full, for which we charge Euros 5 per person for food and tell them to bring their own drinks and glasses. We usually have virtually 100% turnout for those, except maybe for some of the kids who disappear to watch DVDs!

The interesting thing is that we provide huge amounts of information in the apartment, on everything available in the 2 houses, prices for things we charge for etc. so that people can cope well even when we are not there. If you read our guest book, it is impossible to tell which entries are from people who came when we were not there and the rest. So maybe that contradicts the previous paragraph.

I do agree about some people wanting to rebook and not being able to because we were already full when they tried. I don't know if that also applies to potential 'word of mouth' guests. Still don't understood why we don't get those, although there is a huge amount of ignorance and prejudice about Germany as a holiday destination.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

We get around 20% repeats & referrals, would be more if we didn't get booked up so early.
Ditto Sue..
The family who were there in July wanted to book next October but its already gone :roll:
I dont always give discounts either....It depends as you say..
I dont know about repeaters leaving the place in more of a state I will have to check with Paula...
As also Mine are usually booked bty large groups there very often one off occasions birthdays/anniversaries etc.
But I have had people who have come with a group... book up just for themselves the next year as they liked the place so thats nice..