Nationality of guests

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Partridge

Nationality of guests

Post by Partridge »

I was chatting to my Dad last night and he was recounting some of the stories about the people who stayed in a nearby bed and breakfast. My Mum had a little job there and when the owners went on holiday Mum and Dad moved in and looked after it for them. It was a lovely tudor place by the forest and most of the guests were business people. Anyway, Dad mentioned that the Americans tended to need the most hand holding but seeing as he only speaks English the chances are he never spoke to the foreign guests anyway :lol:

It just got me thinking about whether any of you peeps who have a mixed nationality customer base have any particular observations about different nationalities, be it with regard to friendliness, cleanliness or anything at all.

Dealing with only British I haven't got anything to add, maybe there are things that tend to be 'known with Brits' but possibly I'm too close to notice. Of course, there is the Spanish tendency to 'cram'em in' which I have heard mentioned a few times.

Please don't think I am after a nationality bashing thread, positive comments are welcome also, I am just curious.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
kteee

Post by kteee »

We often hear that the Dutch are the cleanest, followed by German - then Brits :oops:

Spanish and Portuguese tend to want to have 8 people in a 2 bed apartment, but those that stick to the occupancy rules are usually very clean and no problem.

OT, the northern Portuguese are not very popular in the Algarve, all the local restaurant/shop owners are sighing with relief that they have all gone back up north again :?
J&J

Post by J&J »

French are the cleanest, Australians never sit in the mid day sun and cover up, Americans leave gifts. That's how it goes here.
Sara

Post by Sara »

For me I dread it if the Brits are coming in. Always complaining about the least little thing. I ALWAYS get a call regarding some little point when they are there. On the other hand I hear nothing at all when the Scandinavians or Dutch are in.

By far the cleanest are the French, the dirtiest are the British, and the most complimentary the Americans.

Sara
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm sure we've discussed this before but I can't remember where...

Can't contribute much else, we've been lucky with guests of all nationalities so far. :)
Brooke
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Yes Brooke, I thought so too but couldn't find it.

Well, so far, the 'clean sheet' so to speak goes to the French, Dutch, German (cleanliness) and the Americans (generous).

Looks like the Brits are either v.clean or v. dirty :?

I think this was what made me curious, as most owners will have differing experiences but I wondered if there would be one nationality that constantly came up trumps for...well anything really.

Where's Deb, being in a city and on site, she would I think have some interesting additions.

brenda

Post by brenda »

Cleanest - French although they do insist on storing food in wardrobes despite being asked not to due to the risk of ants.

Least Clean - Belgians

Most demanding - Americans + Canadians

And why oh why do all my female British guests have to dye their hair whilst here - even if staying for just 1 night!!! Seem to always have to clean up hair dye bottle stains during their stays.
Marks

Post by Marks »

In my experience Scandinavians are the cleanest and never complain, the Brits whinge about the smallest of things and the Irish are the dirtiest.

One lot of Brits complained that no-one told them where the bus stops were so didn't go anywhere for two weeks. When I told them that the nearest bus stop was 100 meters away on the main road and that they walked past it on their way to the supermarket I got an ear full of abuse :shock:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

That is odd as you generalise and think of the British as a race of none complainers who just put up with stuff.

I wonder if it is where folk are? I'm in the UK and my guest base is almost all from here. I hardly hear a squeek! (touch MDI chest of drawers next to me). I've said on other threads about a recent guest going out and replacing the toaster which blew up with their own cash, folk leaving additions to my "museum". Is it when Brits are out of their comfort zone maybe? i.e different language and culture = frustration?

My guests mostly want to enjoy walks in the countryside with their dogs, visit castles and beaches. I think the fact they can have their dogs with them they stay very happy!

(My Canadian guests didn't clean the bath :D )
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue Dyer wrote:I wonder if it is where folk are?
If by that you mean where the self-catering property is located I think you might be a valid point.

I am firmly of the belief that my properties in rural South-West France attract an entirely different sort of person from those who are attracted by properties on e.g. the Costa’s and I think they bring an entirely different set of values with them. I wonder if Enid who is also in rural South-West France has similar thoughts about her guests.

As a generalisation, I can’t differentiate between my guests on the basis of nationality, occupation, race or religion because they all behave equally well and they all show the same respect for me and for my properties.

Alan
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I wonder if it is where folk are? I'm in the UK and my guest base is almost all from here. I hardly hear a squeek!
Me neither Sue I dont really think its nationalities you can have Awkward/Rude/Arrogant people in all nationalities and I havent had many problems from English or other Nationalities....
Maybe Ive been lucky..I think if you give people respect you get it back!!
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Alan,

Possibly the key word here is 'rural'.

Bobby
mon269

Post by mon269 »

I can’t really comment on this as most of our guests have been Spanish. We’ve had the best and the worst but thankfully most are on the good side. Only a small number of French, Portuguese and German guests and all of them have been excellent. If I was to tell a bad story it would have to be about Spanish guests, but this is only down to statistics.

Where I find a big difference is in the communication side of things. I have had many emails back and forth with every single non-Spanish guest. I find they like to get to know me a bit before arriving to the property. This does not happen with Spanish guests and I think is a shame because it is nice to build some rapport and knowing a bit more about the guests. It must also be nice from a guest’s point of view as they would feel more “at home�.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Good word Bobby 'rural' yes and let's please not go down the 'where your property is' route. If in your experience you find that you can to some extent generalise about a particular nationality (just nationality) then I'm all ears.

Brenda, looks like I've been lucky having just had my first set of 'hair dye' experience and you had the same experience regarding Americans as my Dad, they're off the clean sheet then.

So, that leaves French, Dutch, German and Scandanavian (does Scandanavian cover Dutch and German). I won't include the Australians yet as other than keeping out of the sun, nothing has been mentioned.

Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I find they like to get to know me a bit before arriving to the property. This does not happen with Spanish guests and I think is a shame because it is nice to build some rapport and knowing a bit more about the guests. It must also be nice from a guest’s point of view as they would feel more “at home�.
Thats True Mons I exchange quite a few emails from my guests and a few still email me and have a chat[even though there hols are long gone....]It is nice to build up a relationship I think.
But I did have some Icelandic guests in the summer and got loads of emails from them too[but theyre English was really good]
I just think as in all things its wrong to generalise
..theres good and bad everywhere..... :)