From the guest point of view

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
e-richard

From the guest point of view

Post by e-richard »

I came across this discussion on another forum populated mostly by holidaymakers themselves.

It was quite interesting to read the fears and trepidations of the booking process and the whole relationship from "the other side".

The discussion opened with (implied warning)
I have found a lovely villa to rent via ownersdirect web site. However you may know that you deal with the owners direct through this site.
Hmmm, I thought there may have been a clue in the name of the website, but it does go to show that many folks out there still think of holiday bookings being the sole domain of holiday COMPANIES.

The thread wanders into many other areas that we have discussed here on LMH, but from the other side of the fence. There's nothing really revolutionary, but its a pleasing read.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Richard :)
Thanks for posting the thread..As you say it made interesting reading.....
Im trying to book somewhere for my neice at the moment and it is interesting to be the other side as you say...!!!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

That was a good read!

I was particularly interested in the sentiments of a few members who said that they wouldn't post a deposit out of the UK. That worries me, since I'm not in the UK! I wonder, do a lot of people feel that way? Is my potential market smaller because of it?

Food for thought (even though there's really nothing I can do about it, except perhaps try to open a UK bank account without having any ties to the UK whatsoever). Thanks!
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Interesting too about the mobile phone numer thing. I have recently been advised to remove my landline number, as we were getting a lot of unsolicited calls. despite being registered with the telephone preference service. I can't give anything else for a daytime number.
t
janny

Post by janny »

This is where the US system of information access comes in handy for us owners in the USA -You can log onto the appropriate county website and fine out whether the person saying they own a property actually does as you can all up their property tax records.Mind you it also gives you all sort of other info but it does show your name and address which goes some way to putting prospective guests minds at rest.I have often given these details to hesitant first timers as it is a big leap of faith if it is their first time but I also point out that the trust has to be a 2 way thing.
cc

Post by cc »

vrooje wrote:That was a good read!

Food for thought (even though there's really nothing I can do about it, except perhaps try to open a UK bank account without having any ties to the UK whatsoever). Thanks!
I don't think you can open a bank account in the UK if you do not live there, I tried a few years ago. You need to be on the electoral register and have other ID to prove you live at the address. Luckily I had an old account I barely used and I now use that for deposits from most UK guests as the UK banks charge a fortune now for euro transfers.
You don't have to write something on every thread, do you?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

casa caleta,
I don't think you can open a bank account in the UK if you do not live there.
I haven't looked into the details of it but you can certainly open a LloydsTSB Internet bank account if you live overseas.

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I am reticent about giving out information over the phone to someone I don't know ! Isn't it interesting to see the flip side of the coin :roll: I would never give out previous guests details to a complete stranger !
Martha

Post by Martha »

It's a very interesting read - always useful to see things like thi, thanks.

Before we had the chalet we rented apartments on occasion -
and I never worried about it being not as good as it looked in the pictures - plenty of hotels aren't, and my experience of private rentals was that they generally looked a lot better in real life, as few people get professional photographers in.

What did put me off a few times is transferring money into a foreign account - never rented a flat where you have to do this, as I was a bit worried about it.

It actually never occured to me that the house might not be there at all, until I was asked to make a bank transfer. If you pay by credit card, you have some comeback if there's a problem, so I always chose places where you could do this.

The other thing that put me off is that whenever I've transferred money overseas, it's been a long, dull business filling in forms at the bank and I was charged £30 to do it.

Is this always the case? If not, maybe a bit of reassurance that it's a simple process might help?
Or do most people post cheques? We're always too last minute for this...

I agree with Fraise about the references, that's a very strange idea, I think.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I have had 3 lots of guests who I've spoken to about providing references for me (i.e. I give out their email to enquirer) but I don't publicise this or infact, mention it during any pre-booking chats :oops:

Food for thought

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think asking for references is a natural precaution to take. But you shouldn't give out a previous renter's details without their permission. Better to ask a few if they wouldn't mind dropping the enquirer a line to say the house is as advertised on the internet.
Paolo
Lay My Hat