URGENT KEYBOARD PROBLEM !!!!!!

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Chianti

URGENT KEYBOARD PROBLEM !!!!!!

Post by Chianti »

Hello Techies

My computer has just been returned after having been repaired. The technician has changed my Compaq keyboard so the at symbol doesn't work. I've tried everything I can think of and looked at various websites all with no luck. My keyboard is at least 4 years old & it's the simply no frills kind with cord.

Please can someone rescue me because I can't work without this key.

Thanks

Chianti

Drinks are on me :roll:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Is your keyboard set to a different language e,g, American jeyboard as opposed to English? I'm trying to remember how to alter it. Does pressing shift+2 give you @ or "?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Open Windows Help menu, type in keyboard layout and follow the instructions.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

If not you'll probably find the " above the 2 will work as the @. It does on my sisters.

If you get really stuck cut and paste one in from an email or this post!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Have you called the technician and asked about it? Could be that s/he changed the language and forgot to change it back. If so, Helen's suggestion should work.

If not, the technician should fix it for you as it seems to be a problem that occurred while they were working.

If all else fails, keyboards are inexpensive! :)
Brooke
Chianti

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT @@@@@@@@@

Post by Chianti »

How do you like that, it worked, shift & 2. I haven't the foggiest whether my keyboard is English English or American English & the Mircrosoft Help wasn't helpful either.

I couldn't reach the technician, hence why I asked on the forum.

Mama Mia, I can stop reading the Daily Mail and get on with my work now. I have to reset everything, what a bore, but my computer works now, which is more than a blessing.

I can't thank you all enough for your very kind and quick response.

:lol: :lol: :D

Chianti

As I said, the drinks are on me !!!!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

:lol: Yr welcome!

I must sort my sis's keyboard out next time I'm up. She's been using Shift 2 for ages! Probably has defaulted into another language.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Chianti, when I'm on a real keyboard tomorrow and not my laptop, I'll try and work it out. Usually a little icon in the taskbar.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

OK, try this,

Control Panel ->Regional and Language Options
on the language tab, under Text Services and input Languages , click Details. Then click Language bar and select the option to show on desktop or taskbar. Then I think you should be able to change to Uk English.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Chianti,

If the @ symbol is above the 2 then it's been reconfigured as an American keyboard. (I assume you have a british english qwerty keybd with " above the 2 on the key?)

To reconfigure, go to the Control Panel and click on the Regional and Language Options icon. Then open the Languages Tab and click on Details. Under Installed Services you'll see the keyboard config and you can change it back to UK English so it matches the keys.

You'll find that restores your £ sign as well...
good luck!
Lounging on the lily pad...
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

ooh Helen - snap!! We were clearly doing that at the same time :lol:
Lounging on the lily pad...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

:lol: :lol: . I had to nip off and sort out a booking in mid-post too.
Marks

Post by Marks »

My keyboard occasionally decides to swap around the symbols so shift 3 becomes # rather than £ etc etc.

Good old switch off, wait 2 minutes and reboot does the trick (and to think some people are paid fortunes for that advice :lol: )
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

On the desktop at work now. Left-click on EN symbol in the taskbar, then double-click UK english. If you don't have the symbol in the task bar, use the instructions above.
Chianti

HOLY WHAT'S IT !!!!!!!!!!

Post by Chianti »

Helen, Mark, everyone

I did just as you said & holy you know what, I have my @ button working again. I don't know why the tecnician changed it, but I'm back where I started, so all is well.

You have super skills & I'm so grateful for you sharing them. I'm now trying to re-configure my headset in order to use Skype. I only did it a couple of months ago, but this time I'm having a hell of a time with it.

Thank you all so much. Pressing the arrow & the 2 button was more than my fingers could stand.

Anyone want to help do my ironing?

It's time for a drink. Have one yourselves, on me.

:lol: :lol: :D

Chianti