<FX> Puts on helmet and awaits incoming<\FX>

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Windy

Post by Windy »

A nice little map showing the ROUTE to the lake would be very useful, tbh if I had searched on windermere, once I realised it was 3 miles away i would have to be convinced it was still worthwhile.
If I thought people might believe that the only reason for coming to the Lake District was to visit Windermere I'd never have chosen that name for the lodge! That's not to say that Windermere isn't lovely in itself, but thankfully quite a few people are aware that Bowness isn't the be all and end all of life in the Lakes. :wink:

PS I have just realise that you are "weardale beka" and not "weird Al Ebeka" ( think "Jancowic") as I read it the first few times :lol:

EDIT -
tbh if I had searched on windermere
Ah - are you saying that if you had only come across the site by searching for "Windermere" in the first place Weardalebeka ? I suppose I can see what you mean in that case.

We do have a location map that shows pretty clearly where we are in relation to Windermere (and given the extent of the LD we are quite close!) http://www.windermerelodge.co.uk/html/our_location.html

The problem is knowing what each individual will see as important and thus what should be on, say, the front page, and what you think you can leave for people to discover if they are interested enough to look further.

Best wishes

John
Last edited by Windy on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Actually, though, this isn't really the right thread... this is the Windermere Lodge review thread. Shall I split off the other posts into a new thread, or would you prefer to leave the subject be until you're ready to start in earnest?
What a super idea :lol:
Garri

Post by Garri »

Actually, though, this isn't really the right thread... this is the Windermere Lodge review thread
Is that the same Windermere Lodge review thread where nothing actually happens, no advice is taken because what's the point as "the website is doing the business anyway" ?
Shall I split off the other posts into a new thread
No, just delete them :twisted:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Okay, I thought it might be that... so we'll just drop that topic until a later time.
Is that the same Windermere Lodge review thread where nothing actually happens, no advice is taken because what's the point as "the website is doing the business anyway" ?
Surely you didn't give the advice (interesting F-shape article, by the way) under condition that it must be taken.
Brooke
Windy

Post by Windy »

Is that the same Windermere Lodge review thread where nothing actually happens, no advice is taken because what's the point as "the website is doing the business anyway" ? ?
Yes Garri that's obviously the one - Sigh :roll:

As previously stated I have in fact made a considerable number of changes to my site as a result of the feedback I have received here, and am very grateful for most of it, and for the constructive comments made by most of the contributors.

I have even implemented some (but obviously not all) of your suggestions.

Garri - how can I put this without appearing too offensive?
I think that while you obviously know a lot, you are rude and your attitude is aggressive.

I have no intention of getting into a flame war with you so I'd appreciate it if you would simply stop posting on this thread. I do appreciate that that means that I will have to do without your valuable advice, but as you believe that I pay no attention to it anyway that shouldn't be of too much concern to you I am sure :wink:
Surely you didn't give the advice ... under condition that it must be taken.
That would appear to be the implication :roll:

Best wishes

John
Last edited by Windy on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Windermere Lodge wrote:The problem is knowing what each individual will see as important and thus what should be on, say, the front page, and what you think you can leave for people to discover if they are interested enough to look further.
That applies equally to the rates - I was surprised when I read your comment Vrooje as we don't have a price range on our website home page I have to admit. But it takes just one additional click to find it. Our rates range from £900 to £1700 anyway, a statement which, on its own (ie without an actual table) would be pretty well meaningless. :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Garri

Post by Garri »

Surely you didn't give the advice (interesting F-shape article, by the way) under condition that it must be taken.
Of course not! But it's great advice. It's free, he's done all the work for you, you haven't had to pay a penny for that. Priceless really.

John, no offence taken. It's true, I can be rude and aggressive but I can also be cute and passive. Take your pick.

The title of your thread implies you expected, or anticipated, you'd be in for some stick. Well, you got it. In terms of your website, deservedly so.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Garri wrote:It's true, I can be rude and aggressive but I can also be cute and passive.
I'd agree with that John - but this wasn't one of his cute and passive days. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Windy

Post by Windy »

Quote Garrri
- If I was getting 2500 uniques a month with a site like this I'd leave it alone!
Quote Garri
Is that the same Windermere Lodge review thread where nothing actually happens, no advice is taken because what's the point as "the website is doing the business anyway" ? ?
Quote Garri
The title of your thread implies you expected, or anticipated, you'd be in for some stick. Well, you got it. In terms of your website, deservedly so.
Sigh :roll: (again)
I can be rude and aggressive but I can also be cute and passive.
I don't think you should really be quite so pleased with yourself about that Garri
paolo

Post by paolo »

Let's just discuss the website here, folks.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Garri

Post by Garri »

Quote:
I can be rude and aggressive but I can also be cute and passive.

I don't think you should really be quite so pleased with yourself about that Garri
OK John, I'll drop the cute and passive from now on ;-)

Paolo, this website has been discussed over 4 pages yet it still suffers from fundamental problems: the navigation system and the whole thing is a dog's dinner.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Garri,

You should consider that not everybody is going to take on board your ideas on what a website should look like. An older audience, which may be the key market in this case, could actually be alienated by a slicker rendering. My own websites are pretty hopeless efforts, design from circa 1998, but you would be surprised at how many people in their 60s tell me they are the best sites they have ever seen. I am more interested in what people in their 60s think about my sites than anyone else, because they don't come only in school holidays, they treat my places with respect, and they come back. That is why, I tell myself, I have not bothered to modernise anything on my sites.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Windy

Post by Windy »

Garri

Unfortunately a lot of those 4 pages seem to have been you dumping your issues here and discussing your other "projects" so the "Teacher teacher he's wasting paper" whinge to Paolo was a bit unjustified :wink:

I'm sorry you find my navigation system so incomprehensible - my 9 year old son can follow it, but then he's not a web designer so he doesn't know how how "bad" it is - he just gets on with it - as do the many people who book via my site.

And no, before you jump up and down and start shouting "Witch! Witch! Kill the Witch!" I don't mean my site is so good that I'll just ignore you - I'm actually ignoring you now because you are being obnoxious which is a totally different thing.

As you really can't fail to be aware I have made multiple changes to the navigation because several people said that they found it confusing. It's not perfect and it may be a dog's dinner as far as you are concerned, but I simply don't have the time to start again from scratch so I've just done the best I can given the software I am using and the feedback I received. There really is no need for you to feel so personally affronted by all this you know.

I think you need to take a long step back and take a few metaphorical deep breaths before you continue posting on this thread.

As I said before you know a lot, we all know you know a lot, but you really don't have to try quite so hard to make sure we know you know a lot.

Best wishes

John
Garri

Post by Garri »

Paolo, you've opened up an interesting philosophical debate on the demographics of people visiting and using rental sites. People in their 60's now, won't always be in their 60's. People in their 30's now will be in their 60's one day. People in the 40's and 50's, with more internet experience perhaps, are not far off their 60's.

People in their 60's, and certainly people in their 40's and 50's, will have expectations of how a website works and how easy it is to find information. It's not even a question of taste because the most boring looking sites actually work, vrbo.com and my fave del.icio.us spring to mind here.

Your site Paolo, works because it doesn't have a flaky navigation system. Its style is sympathetic to both the region and properties. I can find all the info I need and the typography you've used helps direct users throughout your site. Also, and this is key in your case, you're selling the area and all it has to offer. Informative and inspiring and that will always stand you in good stead, regardless (or because of) the style you've chosen.

You will be amazed how many people come nowhere close to doing this but it's a fundamental driver, in my opinion, on converting people into renters.

I see so many private rental sites and travel sites, hundreds per month, and just recently came across a yurt site where the front page doesn't actually tell you where it is, not even the title in the browser. I had to click their 'directions' page to find it was actually in Wales ;-)

I'm not saying how a website should look, I'm more concerned about how it should work. There's a difference, as you well know.
Garri

Post by Garri »

John, just so you know, it's not my advice you're ignoring, it's Jakob Neilsen's, who knows a helluva lot more than me.

http://www.useit.com

There's no need to bring your child into the argument, that's actually quite sad :cry: