<FX> Puts on helmet and awaits incoming<\FX>

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Windy

Post by Windy »

There's no need to bring your child into the argument, that's actually quite sad
Nope, actually it's quite relevant given that he's even younger than the generation that you refer to in your "philosophical" debate with Paolo.

"People " who are10 " now will be in their 60's one day" too you know :wink: or hadn't that occurred to you?
paolo

Post by paolo »

Garri wrote:People in their 60's now, won't always be in their 60's. People in their 30's now will be in their 60's one day.
I'm not saying we should not change with the times over the next 30 years. But people in their 60s now are what I am targeting. If I changed my site so it appealed to people in their 30s I might lose business until they reached the age of my target market. People in their 30s are not going to book two weeks in February. They are more likely to ask me in June if I happen to have any availability in July.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Garri

Post by Garri »

"People " who are10 " now will be in their 60's one day" too you know Wink or hadn't that occurred to you?
Yeah and people not even born yet will be in their 60's one day :twisted:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Erm, I'm a person in my can't-bring-self-to-type-it, (splutter) "third age". I expect some here might think our website could do with a bit of a facelift too! In fact a rather too blunt Aussie website designer I made contact with when we were looking to take the previous site out of frames, seeing dollars dancing before her eyes, also suggested it needed to be 'brought into the 21st century'.

Notwithstanding, it gets very positive feedback - and our market is across the board age-wise. I haven't had the time to explore Windermere Lodge's website properly yet, but just going by the overall look, I wouldn't be daunted. If I were planning a walking holiday, or simply a break in a beautiful part of the country and wanted to self cater, all the info I could possibly need and more is there. I'll put the navigation to the test later. I think the home page (as far as I've penetrated to date) is pleasing to the eye, and not necessarily dated at all in the way it presents. But then, I would!

The only gripe I have with that home page is the main photo and banner. They're not sharp enough or bright enough. And although the central image was taken because you wanted to show the lodge in its entirety John, I'd have been inclined to have compromised on that and simply captured it at its prettiest angle.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Windy

Post by Windy »

And although the main image was taken because you wanted to show the lodge in its entirety John, I'd have been inclined to have compromised on that and simply captured it at its prettiest angle.And although the main image was taken because you wanted to show the lodge in its entirety John, I'd have been inclined to have compromised on that and simply captured it at its prettiest angle
Thanks GG. I blush to say that I thought I had got the prettiest angle!!!! :oops:

Actually there's a bit of a problem with walls and things in the way that means that that may be best angle, but I will ceratinly take a look when I am next up there on a sunny day.

I also want to try out that dawn dusk thing I read about here.

Is there an angle that you think would obviously be better / more attractive. I'm not very good with framing photos etc - I'm more of a point and click merchant I am afraid

As regards the banner, someone else commented on it being to dark and it's on my to do list. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to replace it with. Whatever I use has to fit in with the colour scheme, unless I change that too. Do you think that just a wide picture of the fells in sunlight might be better?

Best wishes

John
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

John,

If I was looking for a suitable property for my family’s holiday I couldn’t care less if the owner has a “normal” web site or one based on a blog. I would want to find the pertinent information as easily as possible and I think your web site delivers that.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Windermere Lodge wrote:Is there an angle that you think would obviously be better / more attractive.
Difficult to answer without having been to the site so maybe you've done the best you can as you say John. Ideally I might have swung the camera round just a fraction more to the right, to take in less of the length of the lodge - but it rather depends on what else the lens would pick up if you did that.

Even the same image, retaken so that it's sharper, and the sky is blue (it's almost white on my screen - perhaps the sun was in the wrong position, hence the haze effect) would be better - and I'd be tempted to stick a potted geranium on that outside table!
As regards the banner, someone else commented on it being to dark and it's on my to do list. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to replace it with. Whatever I use has to fit in with the colour scheme, unless I change that too. Do you think that just a wide picture of the fells in sunlight might be better?
Yes, it's fine but again, just needs re-taking so that it's sharper and brighter. Otherwise one of the fells in the sunlight would be great - either!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks Alan and GG

At least I don't feel quite so inadequate now :?

I will get onto those photo issues as soon as I can. (I like the geranium idea btw) Interesting that I hadn't even noticed the whiteness of the sky - It was actually blue that day and I was so pleased to have caught the lodge in the full midday sun during what was a very wet year.

Out of interest how big a sin do people think it would it be to change the colour a bit in the meantime using a photo edit programme

(And you should see the picture that I had to use for the first six months - taken in mid December 2006 before the decking was stained)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Windermere Lodge wrote: At least I don't feel quite so inadequate now :?
You shouldn't anyway! :)

Returning to the central photo, I realise (doh!) that one of the most important things you wanted to show was that beautiful backdrop - so if you just stand in the same spot and re-take it, that's certainly the best solution.

As for experimenting with a different colour scheme John, I like the present one, but can you play with some options on a temporary site and point interested LMHers to it for feedback? Then one could see both side by side ...
Windy

Post by Windy »

Yes I could do that I think as I have domain name or two that are parked at the moment that I could use.

I will have a play and see what I can do. OTOH it might be easiest to just make the changes you suggest and ask if you think I've hit the spot or not.

I don't really want to change too much from the green / blue theme as I think it chimes in well with the countryside idea that the lodge is about, but I take your points about the individual components and will see what I can find in my photo archive that might improve things.

Out of interest, do you think that there is a good time of day for getting blue sky not to wash out in pictures ?

Thanks again for the positive comments!

Best wishes

John
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Basically I think Jimbo would say that the sun needs to be behind you - or you should try to position yourself so that any glare is cut out by a tree or somesuch!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Windermere Lodge wrote:Out of interest how big a sin do people think it would it be to change the colour a bit in the meantime using a photo edit programme
Absolutely not. I don't think there is a single picture on my website that has not been tampered with in some way. The sin is when you misrepresent something - like removing trees to enhance a view or inserting a lake that does not exist :)
Windermere Lodge wrote:Out of interest, do you think that there is a good time of day for getting blue sky not to wash out in pictures ?
Those with more photographic expertese than I have suggested that either end of the day are best for colour. However, I have found problems with long shadows if you are not careful.

Thats why I have been known to take a picture from the same angle at 9am and again at noon, superimposing the sky from 9am onto the noon photo. I do not believe this is misrepresentation, its merely compensating for a lack of skill in understanding color balance and the trickeries in camera settings.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

John, apologies, I misread your question re changing the colour - thought you were referring to the website and not the images. Agree with e-Richard re the usefulness of a photo application. Could that image be sharpened BTW? I guess you may only find out by trying.

You might even be able to add the geraniums without having to go out and buy some! :lol:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Windermere Lodge wrote:
Is there an angle that you think would obviously be better / more attractive.
Bing Crosby sang:
You've got to accentuate the positive. Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative. Don't mess with Mister In-Between
It's difficult to be too specific without knowing your site's layout but, if it's possible, I'd suggest going back and up. 'Back' because you wouldn't need such a wide lens and your cabin's foreground/background would then be rendered more in proportion and 'up' because you'd lift yourself above the foreground fence and see into the recreation area inside (which you could nicely 'dress'). At present, the fence dominates about 20% of the picture but contributes little apart from suggesting 'security' for small children. I'd try to shoot when the sun is illuminating the front of your cabin but it doesn't need to be directly over your shoulder, cross-lit would be OK. This will probably take care of getting some colour into the sky but watch where your shadows fall with all that tree cover around and note what might now become visible in the background because you're higher up.

NOTE TO JOHN: This is my opinion but it's only an opinion. Please feel free to make use of my suggestions or ignore them (and me) as you see fit. I won't be offended because I make use of information and advice offered by other members and my postings are an attempt to add a little to the pot in return.

Jim
paolo

Post by paolo »

On the blue sky thing, I find it best to aim slightly high, centring the shot on the lowest blue sky. This will make the sky deep blue and everything below it a little dark. You can then lighten everything in a photo editor without losing all the blue from the sky. If you centre on the house, the sky tends to wash out to white. Depends on the camera and shooter of course.
Paolo
Lay My Hat