<FX> Puts on helmet and awaits incoming<\FX>

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Windy

Post by Windy »

GG / Jimbo / Paolo

There's a whole load of photography related stuff there that never occurred to me and which I will have to digest and practice on! In reality I am going to be constrained by the position of walls, other lodges, position of the fells as a backdrop and of course, in the Lake District, the incidence of cloud and rain! I will have fun trying though!

As a result it may be some time before any changes get made, but I am grateful for the very interesting feedback. I imagine it will be very useful to others too.

Best wishes

John
Windy

Post by Windy »

Blue skies over Windermere Lodge :lol:

Hopefully a bit sharper too.

Not 100% sure about the colour tone - any comments?

J
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Perfick! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Looks perfectly natural John!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Not 100% sure about the colour tone - any comments?
It's fine for your purpose, John, but I'd know instantly that it wasn't 'as shot'. That may be because I'm working with photographs 24/7. Photoshop has a whole bag of tricks to replace skies and many snappers keep a file full of assorted 'sky shots' for this purpose. Getting the sandwich to look realistic, however, is a real art that isn't easily achieved and overly-tweaked skies often cause submissions to stock agencies to be rejected.

Jim
paolo

Post by paolo »

It looks fake to me as a blue sky, but it looks more real as a cloud heavy with water. It's too uniform.

Brooke, your patio_view_2_sm looks like it may have had some help, and perhaps house_across_river? Neither looks fake though.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Windy

Post by Windy »

It looks fake to me as a blue sky
Hmm that's what I thought :cry:
but it looks more real as a cloud heavy with water
AAAGHH!

Well it IS the Lake Disrtict :lol:

Fortunately a kind LMHer has offered to touch it up for me (oo er missus) so I hope to be able to show some real "sky" real soon now!

What a lovely place this is.

J
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Perhaps it's a good thing few of our website visitors are likely to be photo application junkies! (I plan to be one of 'em BTW - looks like fun!)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I split my rude (sorry) thread hijacking to a new thread; so now we're back on topic.

I noticed one other thing, John, about your main photo -- there is a gap in the leaves of the tree at the top right of the photo where some sky shows through, and it looks like a different color compared to the added sky. Perhaps the color palette for the new sky should be taken from that little visible patch?

P.S. - I also find that it's much easier to capture a blue sky in a photo if there is at least one cloud in the sky. The cloud being much closer to white means that it's harder for the camera to wash out the sky color itself.
Brooke
Windy

Post by Windy »

No need to apologise - I was enjoying THAT bit :lol:

It seems that the sky is too washed out for a normal remedy, so
I think I'll try doing a bit of sky cloning from another picture - I had a bash earlier but even with sky taken within the same hour (but in a different direction) it sill looks odd.

On the other hand I have a scratch on my car that I know is there and which irks the heck out of me, but I bet you wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out! Maybe I'll just play until I think it looks a bit more normal. At least witha abit of cloned cloud it won't all look so uniform :lol:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks to all who posted comments here. As always it's good to hear the good and the bad things people have to say. Sorry if I didn't always implement every idea ( I did consider them all though!).

Anyway I wanted to say a big thank you to all of you who helped me here.

I was chuffed this morning to get a phone call telling me that my site has been put on the shortlist of 3 for this year's Cumbria Tourism Web Site of The Year award. They haven't published the names of the other finalists yet so I don't know what the competition is like. Still even if I come third I'm still pretty pleased!

Wish me luck!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Cumbria Tourism Web Site of The Year award.
OOh Windy :D Well Done You :D

Im not surprised your Website[and your property] are really impressive!

Good For You!!!!!!! :D .Good Luck in the Final!!
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Well, I've not posted anything on this thread yet, but it's certainly made v. interesting reading.

Suffice to say that it just goes to show what CAN be acheived when a website is reviewed, the owner takes on board the constructive criticism of those reviewing it and not too many toys are thrown out of the pram along the way.

I would like to say well done and congrats to, not only John, but to all of you who have helped John along the way in this thread.

I'm sure we all wish you the very best in the final John.

Keep us "posted" :D
Ray
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Ooh well done John, how exciting! Best of luck in the final, do you get to know the other two before they make a decision?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Windy

Post by Windy »

They will publish the addresses of those on the shortlist soon

I'll let you now and then you can have a sweepstake :lol: