Trying to get started - official headaches

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Border Tart

Trying to get started - official headaches

Post by Border Tart »

I am a new member in need of help! I'll try to be brief...
We own one property which used to be a house with an adjacent cafe/shop, till the previous owner decided to make it a holiday cottage. We bought the whole thing with my parents and they lived in the 'house' with us in the cottage. Now we've lost them both we wish to move 'next door' and rent out the cottage. The properties are linked internally by a doorway through an old external stone wall (3' thick). It's all one property for Council Tax purposes.
Planning Officer has no problem with us renting out the cottage. Building Control Officer has lots of problems - to his mind it is a new use and needs us to move walls and widen corridors etc for wheelchair access. He also requires us to build up the connecting doorway completely to form two separate houses, with all the new thermal calculations that requires . We particularly don't understand the logic of this latter requirement - don't flats just have fire doors, for example? Has anyone experience of this sort of stuff? :cry:
fibi

Post by fibi »

Planning regs have been tighten up enormously - in 2 main areas, access for all and thermal regs. There is no way round these regs if you want a building warrant/planning cert. You could do the alterations/ rent out without following the regs and face the problems when you sell or make a virtue out of it and advertise a disable friendly warm cosy cottage!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi BT,[welcome BTW :wink: ]

Fibi is right there are lots more Regs now.[We rent out in the UK as well] and we've also renovated a lot of houses.

Though some of these things do seem a bit extreme.

Are these just his 'suggestions' or has he actually turned nown your plans.

There is lots you can do :)
Try and make him your friend[unless its got past that] asking his advice etc and thanking him for his helpful suggestions,but also offering him other alternatives.

It might be complicating it as the houses seem to be being viewed as one house could this be altered easily.

If all else fails you can appeal and if its turned down again,
go to committee[which is usually made up of 'normal people'..well sorta 'normal' :roll: local councillors in the main part... who, I feel might view it more favourably]

This all takes time and you should use this to do your homework
and see if other houses have had to do this sort of work.
Or if there are other things you could do.

Also find out who your local councillor is and ask him round to get his advice.[He and his colleagues will be mostly who the committee will be made up of,
and so it will be helpful to get him/them onside].

As you might guess Ive had dealings a lot with Building inspectors.
I also have a friend whose a recently retired one and if you give me more details,
I could ask his advice for you.'confidentially' of course.

Feel free to pm me.

Can I just stress that you shouldnt compromise any safety issues of course!!!
but sometimes theyre are ways round most of these things without doing that.
Maybe even getting what you both want.[but in a different way].

As a lot of these things are 'New' Regulations a lot of the Planning officers are still a bit 'new' on how to interpret them.

Good Luck!!!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Big Sis wrote:
As a lot of these things are 'New' Regulations a lot of the Planning officers are still a bit 'new' on how to interpret them.
Terrific - and typically generous - post from BS offering carefully targeted advice to a complete stranger drawn from her own considerable experience and, if that wasn't enough, is prepared to go further privately.

Bis Sis rocks!

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:D Yes - great input! I'm just amazed at all the bureaucracy you've experienced though, Border Tart. What if you had approached the planners without stating your intention to let the property, but simply to create two separate dwellings? Obviously this would have entailed your being prepared to close up the connecting door in a proper manner, but would they have imposed all these other conditions, one wonders?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Border Tart

Great help!

Post by Border Tart »

Thanks for all the helpful comments - it's early days yet with the Building Control officer but I am hopeful of some leeway, at least on the smaller items. And there is, of course, a good argument for biting the bullet and ending up with a disabled-friendly property. I think Big Sis's suggestions are particularly helpful and thorough and I'll collar our local councillor at the next opportunity.
enid

Post by enid »

post from BS offering carefully targeted advice to a complete stranger drawn from her own considerable experience and, if that wasn't enough, is prepared to go further privately.
I agree and typical of everybody who posts regularly here. I know I would have been lost without the support from the forum many times. There is so much expertise here and so many willing tio share it - LMH rocks!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All,

Thanks Jimbo[and Enid and GG] how nice was that :) really appreciate it.

Hope Border tart does find it helpful.

As an aside.
Our latest skirmish with the Planning dept has been on our recently finished kitchen in our OWN house.
[got to committee] and I had got my councillor on board.
which is why I recommend this route to BT.

.He spoke to all of the others on the committee before it had got to the meeting and took photos etc. very useful and effective.!!

But interestingly there was a new Planning chap who I dealt with early on, and he said quite a lot of stuff he probably wished he hadnt later[see I do know when to shut up]sometimes.

There's new Goverment Guidlines.
Once youve submitted your plans initially.
You have to have a response from the Planning Dept within a certain time [4 weeks I think it was] .
If not they can get into trouble ,not meeting their targets etc.

But he said what we do if we are busy is say 'NO' cos thats a response. [Im smiling and nodding.]
Most times we havent even looked at 'em. :shock:

If people are really bothered they will resubmit again later so everyones happy[well no not quite :roll: ]

So if any of you have had plans turned down ,please chase up the reason and dont just accept it!!!!

Enid said,
I agree and typical of everybody who posts regularly here.....LMH rocks!
Too right Enid!!
I like you have had so much help from people on here.[and will continue to hopefully.]
Any small contribution I can make is nothing compared to that!!

Take Carexx
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

Are you sure it`s seen as a new use, around here that only applies if it wasn`t residential previously, or if it`s being built with letting in mind. If it was previously a house there shouldn`t be a problem, also how old is it and is it listed.
Border Tart

Post by Border Tart »

Thanks for the ongoing interest. Yup, I am sure the Planning Authority have taken this opportunity to brand it a new use because the last time they were aware of the property it had been a tearoom. Although it ceased to be one and was then a residential property no change of use was applied for (all this before we ever owned it). So they have grabbed this chance to call it a conversion, which they treat as new, and to apply the latest regs.
We have paid the fees, submitted all the applications and await the protracted decisions. That said, we have come to terms with both the inevitable delay and the fact that we end up with a property that we can let to 'assisted disabled'.
One day I'll have some visible progress to report...!
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

Out of interest, how many years was it `lived in` after being a tearoom.
Border Tart

Post by Border Tart »

Hmm, I think 12 years.
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

Interesting, and worth looking into. With planning, if you build something and after 4 years it`s still uncontested (or undiscovered), planning permission is automatically granted, just like the farmer who recently built a bungalow in his barn was trying to do, only he was discovered. Worth finding out, unless Scotland is different. Good luck :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/6432575.stm
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

Border Tart

Post by Border Tart »