Opinions please - borderline??

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

It looks like it wasn't a scam. I recieved the right amount of money through Western Union today. It's a good service if you're receiving the money but it pricey to send it. I'd use them again for sure.

Cheers
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Pheww - we can all sleep easy in our beds tonight! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

GG :lol: :lol:
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Out of interest, what damage can a stranger do if they have your account details? Can they actually debit funds?

When I viewed the Western Union website only 2 weeks ago, it appeared as if it could only be used by families sending funds to each other and stated that they would have to have the same surname. I thought it most odd and from what you're saying it seems to be incorrect too. Help :x

Chianti
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Chianti, when I went to collect the money a few weeks ago, they gave me a form to fill in asking me my name, address, etc. and the sender's name and address (the guests) This was all the information I had given to the guests to sent the money anyway. I also had to show my passport as ID and put my passport number on the form.

All they then did was check that the details I had given matched those given by the sender and gave me the cash. It's very simple. In my case, we definitely didn't need the same surname.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Kersh

That's how I thought it worked. I'm going to try to find the Western Union page which I read, which stated that it was only for families to send payments between each other.

It did state that the collection process was as you said. If it's as easy as that, then to my mind, it's one of the best forms of quick payment, with the total charges being paid by the client. No fuss about when the money, and if the money will go into ones bank account.

I'm going to make further enquiries.

Thank you so much for the information.

Chianti
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I found this thread by searching for 'Moneygram', a leaflet for which I had picked up in the Post Office here in Cambridge this afternoon. For 'third world' countries, the rates are lower, and it looks as if it costs just a bit more than an international bank transer does. Judging from people's experiences on LMH, it sounds as if US bank transfers can be problematic at times anyway, so Moneygram is possibly another alternative to Paypal or credit card payments at least to/from the States.

This assumes you've worked hard to secure the trust of your renter first though! Paul had a point!

www.moneygram.co.uk

Anyone got more comments before I give it a whirl? :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be