Long Term let Headache

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi Enid,

Just catching up with this post now. You poor thing! Sounds very upsetting.

I had a similar - almost identical :!: - experience last winter with my only long-term lets. At the time I had neither a phone nor internet connection and didn't advertise either. Nowhere in their incredibly lengthy email correspondence before arrival did they mention either. Yet they were deeply upset when there was none. I foolishly mentioned it was on order (it was - it took Free 6 mths to sort it out :cry: ) so they just kept badgering me about it. And, like with you, it's as though it sparked off a whole array of other complaints. At least I wasn't just across the garden, although I am near enough that they thought I should keep dropping everything to to tend to their whims. :x
Perhaps they're related??! :lol:

All I can advise is: breathe deeply and try not to let it upset you. And I suppose if you have guests in the future who specifically ask about wifi you might want to warn them it's erratic, in case it really is vital to them.

Here's to peace and harmony being restored... :lol:
Lounging on the lily pad...
firstgreen

Post by firstgreen »

You may find the following useful "10 tips for improving your wireless network"
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredon ... stips.mspx

I have the following in our t/c to cover our backs "The internet connection is available (at no extra cost) subject to technical availability"
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Firstgreen, I like your entry in your t&cs. I think I'll put in something similar, as a precaution.
Lounging on the lily pad...
enid

Post by enid »

I like that too - can I copy it :)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

firstgreen wrote:You may find the following useful "10 tips for improving your wireless network"
Thank you, an excellent link.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

Update as promised - Kevin has spoken to them today ( they have been away for a week) and they told him that they had found somewhere else and would be leaving on the 7th - they said that while they had been in the Uk there had been mice in the gite and they weren't happy. No thank you for lighting a fire for their return of course. Kevin said that he too felt like their servant and it would be the best thing all round just to let them go.

So that's it - no more long lets for me! Thanks for letting me get it all out and the good advice about the advertising for the internet connection. Re the mice - not sure what to do.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Re the mice - not sure what to do.
Well Enid, If your thinking of letting them stay ask for references :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, I think its a result!! When Kevin came home I thought, this will get things sorted one way or another[and it has]
It'll be nice to get your home back to yourselves[and the mice of course] Id give em as much cheese as they can eat!! :D
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Enid, you missed this thread: read my posts - a solution is at hand!
viewtopic.php?t=2755&postdays=0&postord ... e&start=15

I hope the following link works: scroll down - it's the 4-pack we use and we swear by them. They are better (we believe) than the French equivalent, which we were told is faintly audible to the human ear.

You will need UK adaptor for each, and we put one in every room. Occasionally the adaptors grow legs, so keep some spares!

http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/ult ... ontrol.htm
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
enid

Post by enid »

Thank you GG - I'll order a pack and get them delivered to K in the Isle of Man and he can bring them home next visit.

I have learned lots of lessons from this experience - not least that things are better when my hubbie is here!!! :) [/i]
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It can be hard work on your own, believe me I'm an expert! A problem shared is definitely a problem halved. I'm so pleased for you that they are going elsewhere. It also goes to show that although many gite owners dream of a steady, income guaranteed long term let in the winter, it isn't always a straightforward money earner.
enid

Post by enid »

On another thread a question was posed on whether people do this for a living. I fall into an in between category - I need an income from the gites to top up othert sources of income, I don't need to make a fortune or a real living wage. That's why I don't usually open in the winter. I need a rest and time for our own holiday and time to do any maintenance etc. I only said yes this time as they had been here earlier in the year. What really has bothered me is having someone here on site who makes me feel uncomfortable in my own home - doesn't matter who is right or wrong that's how I feel. Holiday lets are 2 weeks max and then you say au revoir.

In my opinion for what you can charge it's not worth it - I'd rather put some energy into getting a few more holiday weeks booked.
enid

Post by enid »

They left yesterday - I went to clean the gite e couple of examples from the shower room:

The soap dish Image

I do expect stray hairs when I lift the cover of the drain but this must be a record!

[/img]Image

In fact looking at it I still can't believe it - and here it is when I had fished it out:
[/img] Thank goodness they didn't stay all winter!!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Enid-YUK!!! One of the reasons I didn't get a soap dish, and leave liquid handwash by the sinks. As for the hair, Julian cleaned out our shower trap last week (in France), and it was far better than that after three months. (Ours has a springy-up plug thing, so has to be dismantled to clean it out properly)
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

oh yuk yuk yukety YUK
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I hope you are going to take some money from their deposit for the extra cleaning! Another of the joys of long term lets. I let a house for 2 months once and it took 3 times as long to clean it than usual.