Anoher Noise Dilemma

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I was thinking that, too, Helen. If the guests already live in Switzerland, they will hopefully be more accepting of the noise, SB - I hope so, for your sake. This kind of thing is a big headache. Perhaps the builders aren't there too late in the afternoon/evening, at least?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I agree about early start times being the norm - around here (also affected by snow in winter), we have had work starting before 7am but everyone understands - we have been responsible for some of it ourselves! I agree that it would be a good idea to warn guests if it really is a disturbance - but you are not actually responsible for what other people do. Our refuse collection is often around 7am too and the snow clearing machines come round at 3am and 6am in winter - can't stop that!

And it isn't that continentals are workaholics - far from it! If they start early, they leave early - many people will finish work at 4pm and at lunchtime on Friday in return for that early start. (And our builders will always finish a job, even one lasting weeks, on exactly the day they promised even if it means putting in extra hours.)
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

margaret wrote:(And our builders will always finish a job, even one lasting weeks, on exactly the day they promised even if it means putting in extra hours.)
Yes, I have to say there are moments when I do miss the Germanic sense of dependability and professionalism - although there are plenty of other compensations in SW France, of course :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Beanie,

I do sympathise, its a difficult problem isnt it :roll: .

Youve had some good advice and I do think Jus suggestion of a phone call is a good option.
Try and keep it light though, as you dont want to scare them off.
I've emailed the architect asking if it would be at all possible to start the hammering after 9am, which I feel is more reasonable, and he sounded agreeable, saying he'd see what can be done.

You could say this to them as well ,because its true.

Maybe they wont be on such a crucial part in November and he will start later, especially if hes had other complaints.[which would seem likely I would think]

As was also said, If they live in Switzerland they will be used to their work culture. and know that the day starts early there.

There is a lot of building work that goes on in Spain and I think they start about 7-30am.
[whether they are supposed to Im not too sure]

You seem to be doing all you can do which Im sure they will appreciate.

Good Luck!! and keep us posted as to what happens... :wink [/quote]
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

This is a tricky one. I know I recently lost a valuable shoulder booking by doing what I thought was being completely honest, but clearly she thought I was understating the case and it would be awful.

This was a phone call, where, if you're at all like me, you might have a tendency to say too much. What clinched it was - she asked me if there was any building work going on, and I said that the place next door was just on the finishing touches so it was mostly painting and a few finishing touches but no pile driving or any significant banging. Then I went and said "You might hear the occasional Spanish builder calling to his mates" and that did it. "Oh dear," she said, "thank you for your honesty" and put the phone down. On an e-mail I wouldn't have made that stupid quip!

And in the event, we were there that week ourselves, and hardly noticed anything.

So if it's not too late, I'd suggest you think your response through very carefully. I was caught on the hop by a phone call, and I always run the risk of putting in that bit of levity which isn't always understood. It's a bit like that episode in Friends, where Phoebe tells Chandler to just be himself at a job interview, and he does and makes a prat of himself. That could be me!

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Beanie, it's happening a lot here, as everyone's trying to get their roof on before the snow hits, and the hours stretch like elastic at each end of the working day. Having got the roof on, owners can (and do) camp inside for Christmas and the ski season.

How about being totally upfront with the punters, explain the situation, and offer them a short notice freebie (week or long weekend) next year if there is a problem with noise on this visit? They don't have to mess around with expensive last-minute flights, they're just an hour or so away, you'd rather have someone in the chalet than not and you've hooked them as long-term punters with your honesty/generosity etc.

In our experience, talking with architects (who very often are managing the building team on tight budgets) doesn't work - they are trying to grab every working hour before the winter, even using helicopters to shave vital time off deliveries from the valley - they're an unwelcome noise as well.

MG