Anoher Noise Dilemma

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Beanie

Anoher Noise Dilemma

Post by Beanie »

I know this kind of thing has been discussed before but I'd be very interested in your opinions on quite which way to go on this one as I'm scratching my head.

We have a property being built not too far from ours and needless to say, the bl**dy efficient Swiss have to start their cranes and hammering at 7.30am each morning.

We've been here for the past few weeks, and had guests stay, and it's been a mild pain to say the least, but at least we weren't paying guests. In the daytime, you're not really aware of the noise.

I've emailed the architect asking if it would be at all possible to start the hammering after 9am, which I feel is more reasonable, and he sounded agreeable, saying he'd see what can be done. However, they're also rushing to get the roof on before the snow comes. Hence, there's been no change to their start time and not wanting to sour our break with neighbour-wars, I've left it.

We have paying guests coming for a week in early November and I really feel I should say something to them before they arrive as if it were me, I'd be very annoyed if I'd come along to the Alps for a peaceful tranquil time and found there was a building site kicking off extremely early.

They're 2 weeks away from coming and looking at the site the work will definitely still be going on (the architect has said the crane won't be down before the end of Nov).

It's one thing to have the great ugly crane spoiling our lovely views, but the noise is, I feel, quite intrusive to wake up to.

The guests are Brits living in Switzerland, not too far from us towards Geneva and have been lovely in all their communications so far. We really want them to enjoy their week in November as they've already booked to return in January and could turn out to be nice local regulars.

So, should I:-

a) email and explain this is here but say I hope it won't cause any problems and they should let me know by email if it does
(then if so, email the architect again, which will probably be pointless, but have to consider giving them some compensation ...)

Don't want to unduly worry them though that it's a huge noise, as it's not, but by pre-warning, they might cancel.

b) wait until nearer the time and then email a neighbour to see if it's still noisy in the morning (as it does depend on what phase of the building they're on), but then it's too late for them to re-schedule their plans if that's what they'd rather do.

c) doing / saying nothing isn't an option for me as I just don't think that's fair.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Beanie
enid

Post by enid »

Being me I'd go for A - MOH would do B or C!!!!
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I'd go for A.

I was so disappointed this summer when I went on holiday to escape our builders and found I was faced with building going on right outside the apartment. If they had emailed to let me know we probably would still have gone but wouldn't have been disappointed to the point of tears,on arrival.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I'd definitely email them and be honest about what you experienced.

So you might mention the early starts but say that you have asked the architect to delay any noisy work until after 9 am and he was sympathetic! (wouldn't say at this stage that nothing has changed!)

Also mention that during the day you didn't really notice anything except that the crane is clearly visible and you're not sure whether it will still be on site when they arrive.

You could perhaps say that you don't want to unduly worry them but feel that they should be warned.

You might find that the guests are completely understanding as mine were in the summer when a villa was built next door to ours. In fact some guests said they were completely fascinated at the building techniques and how many workmen turned up some days and asked me to send a photo when the house is finished!!!

Either way you will have done your best!
Martha

Post by Martha »

Aaargh! Why is it always so bloody early!?

I'd go for A - but can you email the architect and explain the situation, and say it's no problem apart from that one week - can they at least hold off on the early morning hammering then?

Also perhaps check on what phase he expects the building to be into by then?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Ju

Post by Ju »

Personally I would phone them rather than e-mailing. I think it would be easier to explain over the phone how intrusive or not the noise is.

Ju
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Ju wrote:Personally I would phone them rather than e-mailing. I think it would be easier to explain over the phone how intrusive or not the noise is.

Ju
Actually Ju, you have a point - I did phone my guests and it is more personal and firendly!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

fire bug wrote:Aaargh! Why is it always so bloody early!?
It is a luxury for me to be able to sleep in until 7.30am :( - it wouldn't bother me at all. But I agree, you must warn them in advance - and don't mention the 'c' word, either.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I'm with Ju on phoning them, but there is one aspect which I think has been missed. In most EU countries there are controls on the hours in which building noise is permitted. My guess is that it is not allowed before 8:00 or 8:30am. I would try to record it when it starts at 7:30am with a clock or cell phone in front of you by way of proof, then ring your local council for advice. Then, if this is correct, perhaps another chat with the architect letting him know that they will be liable for damages if it effects your rental.

Builders with break all of the rules they can, but only if you allow them to.

I do wish you the best of luck, it's a difficult problem and must be stressful.

Chianti
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

This is in Switzerland though, not the EU, certainly no work started before 8am at my place in France.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Daaaaaaa

They must have similar regulations, it's worth a try, while I brush up on my geography.

Chianti
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

:D
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Unfortunately, Chianti, from my experience of living in Switzerland, I think 7.30 would be considered (locally) as a reasonable start time. The Swiss start bright and early - some office staff are behind their desks by 6.30 / 7.00 in the morning..yawn!!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

How sad :!: :twisted:

What's early for the Swiss then?

Chianti
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If that is the case, and they live in Switzerland, it may well be less of a problem than you think.