Saying no politely!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
la vache!

Saying no politely!

Post by la vache! »

I've had an enquiry for August 2009, one week, all 3 cottages together. I don't want to accept it as a) it is only a week and b) I'd prefer not to have all three booked together in August as there will be 2 full changeovers and I know the one after the booking could take longer than normal as it invariably does after all the cottages are booked. It is obvious I haven't got any other bookings, so how do I say no politely? Just say I'm only taking 2 week bookings despite the fact I don't say that on my website?
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

You could say that's your plan for 2009, to only take 2 week bookings. You could explain the reason? That you can't/don't want to handle changeovers in all 3 cottages on the same day?

Could you charge a bit more if all 3 are booked then get someone in to help for that day?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
J&J

Post by J&J »

I had one of those last week.
(I suppose we could have accepted it as it won't be our problem next year but i couldn't do that to our really nice purchasers!).

I just told them the truth as follows. . .

Although we do currently have availability for that week, I'm afraid we no longer accept bookings for larger groups requiring more than one of our properties during the peak season. We have found, from previous experience, that the additional work this entails makes it not worthwhile for us

It did the trick but didn't stop me receiving the following reply:

I am rather surprised that you are unwilling to let properties to a family group. I could understand it if we were youngsters but we are Great Grandparents, Grandparents, Parents and children. Our group includes a School Advisor, Headteacher, Nurse, Pharmacist, Area Manager, Quantity Surveyor, Prison Officer, Electrical Engineer etc

I resisted the temptation of replying ! In fact one of our worst guests to date was a Vice Chancellor of a leading UK university so I'm not sure why she thought boasting about their professions would help!!

I won't publish the name of our enquirer here but the surname started in H and ended in d. Perhaps it's the same person ?
Stu

Post by Stu »

You don't necessarily have to have letters after your name, or a posh job title to disqualify you from being a dickhead.

It's your business, your home. You make the rules to suit your needs/situation.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

No, I don't think it is the same person (although it could be someone in the same group). I just hate getting replies through such as that and I know whatever I reply I will probably get one too. (I'm such a COWard when it comes to this sort of thing!)
I think in future I'll put a disclaimer on the website that multi property bookings are not accepted mid July to end August.
Kathy, I have enough cleaners, it isn't just the extra work and finding things in the wrong house, but when big groups are here they completely take over and I don't feel 'chez moi' at all and usually lock myself away for a week. I'm happy to take big groups out of peak (along with a big security deposit), but when we easily get fully booked in Peak, I don't think it is worth the extra hassle and cleaning/tidying costs. Although I'm not planning on being here in 2009 anyway....
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Stu wrote:You don't necessarily have to have letters after your name, or a posh job title to disqualify you from being a dickhead.

It's your business, your home. You make the rules to suit your needs/situation.
Absolutely!
LV wrote:......but when big groups are here they completely take over and I don't feel 'chez moi' at all and usually lock myself away for a week.
Well definitely don't take them then LV - it's your home after all.
LV wrote:Although I'm not planning on being here in 2009 anyway....
Wow, what are you up to?? :shock: That might be a good reason to give them though, tell 'em you're selling up....
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

At least there aren't any vicars amongst them

viewtopic.php?t=4460&highlight=vicar
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LV, where are you planning to be in 2009? I am intrigued............
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

HelenB wrote:LV, where are you planning to be in 2009? I am intrigued............
Still in France, hopefully still in holiday lettings in some way, but I need a new challenge :shock: and having done my time of 5 years on site, I'd ideally like to be out of door knocking distance!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Stu wrote:You don't necessarily have to have letters after your name, or a posh job title to disqualify you from being a dickhead.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(LV - I too am intrigued!!!).
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Stu :lol: :lol: :lol:

LV, thought you were planning something more dramatic. I must admit I never really fancied living 'on site' myself. I would love to live closer though.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

On a similar vein of 'saying no nicely' I had an enquiry for someone wanting to rent my place for a month, with kids and nanny whilst he 'looked for somewhere permanent'.

I replied quite politely but declined saying that I couldn't do this because if he couldn't find somewhere within that time and 'unable' to move on (ie. outstayed his welcome) at the end of the booked time, this would cause me problems if I have a follow on booking. I said he might be better to approach estate agents dealing in rentals, rather than owners of holiday rental properties.

I got quite a snide reply saying

"Thank you for your concern but.....even at the end of 1 month i have not secure an accommodation i guess you will NEVER and EVER allowed me to live there free, of course i have to pay my dear, nothing is free "

Which wasn't really the point, I don't WANT someone outstaying their time no matter what they are paying!!! And nor do I want someone living there, it's a short let property not a long let one...

...I didn't bother replying again; just repeated my mantra to myself....

I make the rules and I decide who stays here....or not....

the point is, no matter how nice you are, some people just don't want to hear 'NO'.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Nightowl wrote:"Thank you for your concern but.....even at the end of 1 month i have not secure an accommodation i guess you will NEVER and EVER allowed me to live there free, of course i have to pay my dear, nothing is free "
Very strange terminology. Are you sure he wasn't a Nigerian scammer in the first place?
Stu

Post by Stu »

You're better off out of it Nightowl!
Fil

Post by Fil »

I used to have a sentence saying "We reserve the right to refuse any reservation requests at our own discretion" (btw I had to copy this from a listing that previously copied it, among other things, from mine).

I deleted it because I now believe it is obvious and useless and therefore unecessary. Either you don't answer (scams and similar) or you say no (difficult and also gets an irritated reply back) or you need to give a satisfation (better).

Nowadays I have "Reservations may be refused if staff is unavailable for changeover days (sundays and holidays)." which allows me to give a decent explanation in cases like yours.