How guilty should I feel??

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

How guilty should I feel??

Post by Sue Dyer »

I came back from a weekend in London with a horrible cold, :cry: earache, sore throat and the whole spectrum of cold symptoms so I pulled a sickie today. First one ever at this job in 17 month. My head is still pounding I feel awful, high temperature etc so why do I feel so guilty at not going in??

What's your take on going to work with cold?? I think you're in a no win situation as if you stay off colleagues can comment "huh, just has cold" and always make a point of saying how ill they were but they came in. If you go in they moan at you for coming to work and spreading your germs around.

Anyway, I've had a day in my sickbed with lots of tea, lemsip, tv remote, my laptop and a novel. I may cook myself a suitable "weak person with cold" meal shortly.... Any sympathy gratefully received. :)

p.s 5 years ago I broke my hand, the doc immediately offered me a five week sick note. I saw it gleaming there like a winning lottery ticket cos I hated the job I was in. I turned it down though and went in, typed with one hand and was no better thought of!!!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

The last job I had in London we would be sent home if we had a hint of a cold! why get the work place sick!
Cheers
PC
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Sometimes it depends on how you see your career at the company you work with - would you be able to get up a few rungs if you impressed your bosses by going to work when you were sick, and would you want to stay with that comapny? If the answer to either is yes, then probably people would go to work. If the answer to both is no, then people probably wouldn't bother.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

RD - totally love my job, no promotion prospects but I'm happy with that. My last job I was in charge of budgets and the whole admin dept and was stressed to hell. This one is for a charity and very much more laid back atmosphere. I'm not letting anyone down though, I'll just catch up when I get back. I hate folk who dump on their workmates if things aren't going well.

I've already impressed my boss - He once said "Sue is so groovy, she not only knows Sean Hughes but her dad gets cheap Kit Kats - what more do you need from an office manager???"!!! :)
(Dad used to work at Nestle's and still has a factory shop card)
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I don't get it!! Why make everyone else sick to make out you are a martyr? If your boss has a brain he would think that with just one worker off sick we will be ok! Frankly my attitude would be you are risking my business by infecting the other workers and therefore potentially risking losing me money, And your job.
Cheers
PC
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

okay Paul - I'm staying off tomorrow too! :)
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

soodyer, you are too easily convinced!

But anyway, just think of the additional time to work on your website :D
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

RD!! :) I've been listing some stuff on ebay for my friend and reading/snoozing. Better today but not 100%, will go in tomorrow :)