Translating option in Gmail

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
KathyG

Translating option in Gmail

Post by KathyG »

Just found a nifty little Gmail tool, though it may work with other ISPs.

There's a translating option whereby every word you hover over is instantly translated into whichever language you've chosen - very handy! :D

On the Gmail toolbar go into Settings (top right, green button) then into Options, click the little box next to Translator Settings then choose your language.

Bit like Babelfish in that you really need some knowledge of the language though - on the French option for example if I hover over 'Let' in 'Let me see' it comes up with 'louer' which means to let/rent out so be careful!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Could not find this when I logged into my gmail account until I realised it's on the Google toolbar.

V nifty, thanks.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Thats quite cool, but this is a Google Toolbar feature and not a Gmail (only) feature, so it works on all web pages all the time. Could be really useful, but only a very limited set of languages so far - and does not include Portuguese :(
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

e-richard wrote:Thats quite cool, but this is a Google Toolbar feature and not a Gmail (only) feature(
Of course, thanks Richard :oops:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."