availability in La Manche

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
tansy

availability in La Manche

Post by tansy »

When I worked in Hotel & Catering many many years ago - one thing we used to do every evening was do a ring round of all the hotels in the area to check their availability so we could either send them overbookings, chance (walk ins) or take from them if we were underbooked.

I was wondering if in La Manche perhaps we could set up the same sort of information - for example I had an enquiry today for July just 2 nights - no good for me but could suit someone else with a gite, B&B whatever...I have sent the enquiry to maisy but if she is booked I'm then unable to recommend anywhere else...anyone up for sharing info?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,

Over the years we have tried this, partly as a joint effort to secure bookings and partly to help potential holidaymakers find accommodation. To an extent it has been successful. Some neighbours thank us for referals, let us know the outcome and refer enquiries to us. Others simply take a referal without a word of thanks and never refer anyone to us.

We have finished up with a short list of neighbours with whom we cross-refer. We know each others' properties and are happy to recommend them all.

We have also finished up with a somewhat longer list of neighbours with whom we do not cross-refer. In some cases, knowing the nature of the people and the quality of their properties nor would we want to!

Add-on services like this can generate a lot of goodwill. To quote from a recent e-mail - "We've rented often in France but have never had this courtesy extended. It's much appreciated."

To sum up. It's a good idea and can work to the benefit of all concerned.

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

This could work in all areas but it's just finding like- minded people/properties. I'd be interested for the southern Charente Maritime? 8) Up to 27 C here yesterday!! Yippee!
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

As I still only have 3 weeks booked, I would love to have your cast-offs Tansy! Similarly, if I get inundated suddenly, I can refer people to you. Seriously though, you do inevitably get people enquiring for the same weeks.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I've sent music monkey the details by pm...I agree Alan there is quite a few places I wouldn't recommend my cat to stay in never mind holiday makers!

Nowt queer as folk - but I have been asked in the past if I can recommend somewhere down south - I don't think all folk know their geography that well!

So maybe we should start a thread of cross referencing across the whole of France! Suggestions Paolo please.

I am asking self employed folk to leave their publicity in the house - you never know...looks like some Americans are possibly booking a canal boat holiday in the UK - the proprietors stayed in our Utah Beach house!
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

I have sent a PM to Tansy thanking her for passing on these details. Unfortunately, we are unable to help as we don't allow pets and these people have a dog.

I think it is a great idea to use this forum to pass on enquiries that you are unable to fulfill for many reasons not just because you are booked but maybe you can't accommodate babies or the disabled, etc.

What do others think?
tansy

Post by tansy »

May I ask why you don't take dogs...do you suffer from allergy or similar?

The reason I ask is that we positively welcome dogs I think consequently have attracted some fabulous people...perhaps you are closing doors on a market...folk that have taken the trouble for a pet passport and are prepared to travel (but not too far), with their beloved pet, we have found are delightful well educated folk that I welcome with open arms...I personally would take dogs before children...now... that possibly has put the cat amongst the pigeons! :twisted:
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

Yes in fact my son does suffer from allergy to some animal fur/hair, though that is not the only reason. We thought of the extra wear and tear, the 'waste' and the fact that our garden is not securely fenced sufficiently for dogs.

I'd be interested to know what others think though!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I would say I have to agree with Tansy on the accepting animals - its especially important if you want to attract the French market, as nearly all of them want to bring a dog or some other domestic animal with them. Last week I had a lovely young couple from Paris who bought a mouse (in a cage) and a cat with them - they left the cottage immaculate (as do most French people, unlike some of the English guests who stay with us!). Like Tansy said, animal owners tend to be on the whole very nice, responsible, interesting people,although as I have 2 dogs and 2 cats myself, I would say that.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Tansy,

Personally I don't have or dislike children ( but I couldn't eat a whole one). But I have to say they do seem to cause the most damage and some of the parents attitude to this is 'well he/she is only a child!'
Cheers
PC
Maisy

Post by Maisy »

Susan,
Reading your post reminded me of my first French family. They viewed the house the day before, as they were already staying in the area, and wanted to stay on for a few more days. The mother asked if it was ok to bring two dogs....no, not a problem. They all arrived following morning Mother, young couple plus a few teenagers - the couple then asked if they could bring some more animals that were in a cage.... 'Yes', I said, innocently...... They brought in two large cages, two rats in one, and two ferrets in the other... every morning they took the ferrets on a lead for a walk in the garden much to the bemusement of my Lurcher!
They left the house immaculate.
Infact, people who bring dogs have always been very considerate, even to the extent of bringing a pair of curtains to put over the furniture.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Maisy, lucky they weren't travelling to you by National Express coach. My Tulsa friend Bob booked a ticket recently and was sent a list of no no's for carrying on the coach:

Any weapons
Drugs or solvents (other than medicines)
Live or dead animals
Fish or insects

Battery powered wheelchairs/disabled scooters
Surfboards
Prams
Non folding pushchairs
Non folding bicycles

He forwarded to me and said "darn, there goes my dead badger collection"!! (I love the vision of trying to get some of those things on a bus anyway...)

hmmm, I'm a bit of a W.C Fields with children and dogs but I often find the dog owners more responsible ......