Leysin snow report

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Mountain Goat

Leysin snow report

Post by Mountain Goat »

Snowfall trailing off this morning (15nov07) but fantastic start to the season and hooves crossed for lifts opening this weekend.....

Village level (1250m) - 50cms

On the slopes (1700m) - 70cms

Temps -3C today -2C tomorrow OC Sat +4C Sun +9/10C Mon/Tues/Wed

7-day Leysin forecast Metcheck

6-10 day Leysin forecast Accuweather

Today's Swiss Avalanche warnings Davos Institute

Today's Leysin weather commentary and pics: Meteo-Leysin

Leysin's snow stats from 1953 by month/depth: Bilan neige

60 or so Webcams Léman Region:
Region du Léman

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We've got 60cm+ on the slopes and our mountain is only 1456m. Ski season opens this weekend. If only a few punters could be persuaded to come out before Christmas. Snowing all day to day. Due a week's break but not sure it will happen.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Correction, just announced: 1 metre on the slopes!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Not very relevant, but about 0.3mm of snow in Provence (Vaucluse) today, which was a surprise.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
CSE

Post by CSE »

paolo wrote:Not very relevant, but about 0.3mm of snow in Provence (Vaucluse) today, which was a surprise.
wish we had some too, even that little bit.
In truth we need some rain, it is all so dry here.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Hi - good post MG, thanks for the links as I hadn't come across that 15-day forecast website or the avalanche report.

Where to you pick up your snow level reports by the way ?

We seem to have 80cm on the slopes and 143cm on the glacier - looks flippin freezin' out there as well !

Seems our lifts are opening next weekend but I'm trying to find out if that's just for the weekends or staying open going forward.

We had some guests take a punt a book with us for the week before Christmas, for which we reduced the rate down considerably as the lifts were originally opening a week later this season on 22/12. I did tell them this before taking the booking but they said they just wanted a pre-Xmas break and some snow-shoeing and weren't really bothered. They'll be delighted if the lifts are now open and they've got a good deal ! :lol:

Beanie
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

PS - MG - meant to say I think your last link is repeating to the penultimate website. I'd be interested in the web cam link if you have a chance to re-post it.

Ta.

Beanie
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Hi Beanie, thanks for spotting that webcam link, it's repaired now.

Most of the snow-depth outfits haven't caught up yet, and and still cleaning out summer spiders from their measuring pots, but these might help:

Télé-Villars gives separate snow depth reports for each of your areas.

For instance, and which lifts are running.

SLF gives a good overview of accumulated snow depth throughout Switzerland

Nice clean 'n' fresh Swiss snow in last 3 days

J2ski gives a reasonable forecast, but their depth link (bottom right) is useless at the moment. They will send you a weekly email report as a freebie, for two resorts.

Igluski is another one, but they get their feed from the Ski Club, I think, and their data is useless at the moment.

Our pooch is a junior member of the Ski Club of GB but won't give me the password for their site until I come up with a fresh bone - will let you know when he releases it, as it's got some good stuff (saving on annual membership well worth it) although they haven't wound it up properly yet. The resort summary for punters can be useful, though sometimes out-of-date until their reps arrive.

MG
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Hi MG

Yes, have come across Tele Vilars-Gryon (which is where I got those measurements I posted from), but not the others, so thanks again.

This is undoubtedly thread creep but I was going to post up if anyone here was a Ski Club of Gt Britain member and whether they found it useful. We used to when we skied in different resorts (used the guides, the discounts on ski hire etc), but now we have our place and own skis - £70 odd for the 2 of us seems rather excessive. The only reason I hang onto it is when they do get going with the snow reporting it's usually pretty good (there - managed to get it back on topic re. weather :lol: )

Am heading out tomorrow to our place for work - have a whole bunch of UK delivery guys emailing me furiously wondering how on earth they're going to get their vans up the single-track road in the snow. None of us were expecting this snow-fall in November. I've advised snow-chains, towing eyes and Neals Yard Rescue Remedy !

Me - well, I've bought special fingerless gloves with a flap-over thingmy so that I can work on a building site with no heating etc in -8 degrees .... :roll:

Beanie