What do you think? I can't tell with this one.

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Musetta

What do you think? I can't tell with this one.

Post by Musetta »

"Hello, We are writting to make enquiries, if there is vacancy from 15th January to 2nd February 2008, we are getting married on 10th January, 2008. We have planned to spend our Honey moon at your Cottage/Vacation place, kindly get back to me with the total cost, and let me know if the total money includes all the utility, get back to us asap"

listed a US phone number...obviously not American nor native English speakers...but that's not too odd...and I really don't know if my place is a honeymoon destination...but figured who knows-

got back to them with the price (and thhata's really it since they didn't ask any questions didn't really spend any time telling them anything else)...and got this today:

"Thanks for getting back, to me and can you confirm the total price and let me know forms of payment you require, we will make our payment with a check, confirm if you accept and send us the name you want on the check and the post address."

I guess it's not odd to take a check?? (never done it...but don't see why not if it's a us check - weird though that he didn't even ask how much in USD since my priceds are in Euros)

just get a funny feeeling...am I being way too cynical? guess it can't do any harm to take a check since there's enough time for it to clear??

what do you think?
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

depends if you have a US bank account otherwise the charges will be crippling AND it could bounce months after it's paid in :(
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

scam 100%
Cheers
PC
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

scam 99.9%

MG
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

yes...actually...for me...that would be the best and cheapest way for them to pay (!!) but don't think they'd have known that...no one has offered to pay by check before! all have requested credit card or bank transfer. (but I hadn't even gotten there with them - didn't give them payment options or any booking details at all...just basic...yes...dates are free...that would come to xyz euros and utilities are indeed included)

it was from a free (or free trial - have to check) site (directholidaylets) - but I've gotten bookings from them before, so that part seems ok too.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

You know whats coming next:

A check for more than the cost of the holiday.

I can understand you hoping that its not the case, but... you do know really, don't you :roll: :cry: :?:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hahahaha. yes. you're right. I think I will trust my gut - have a very bad feeling about it.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Think about it. Would you really book your honeymoon - the holiday of a lifetime - somewhere without finding out any details?????

I don't think so.

SCAM. I woudn't bother replying.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

no way!
thanks for confirming what I really was thinking!
paolo

Post by paolo »

The cheque may also be for the right amount but completely rubberised. You would then be asked to send back some or all of the money because there has been a terrible accident. This would happen before the cheque has bounced.

Your bank can accept the cheque and credit your account. It is when the dodgy check is presented back to the issuing bank that the problem is noticed.

I think it is a scam but if you go ahead I would insist on a wire transfer.
Paolo
Lay My Hat