Wouldn't it be nice ...

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
enid

Post by enid »

For others, the cards fall differently and it’s not always their fault.
So true . The children I worked with in inner city schools had so much stacked against them that I was always amazed at how well they managed at school where values were so different - like living in two worlds for some of them. Then the school would be judged on academic standards and my kids would seem not to have worked hard at all and I still get soooooo mad!!!!

When my daughter was a baby she was losing weight and the clinic nurse told me to stop fussing and wouldn't let me see a health visitor - that night my baby was in hospital. Next time I saw that nurse I was doing some supply teaching and she was the nit nurse - Oh it's you she said - you should have told me you were a teacher - I was livid - when I was int he clinic I was a first time mum purely and simply.

Rant over!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Oh it's you she said - you should have told me you were a teacher - I was livid - when I was int he clinic I was a first time mum purely and simply.
Oh Enid :evil: you shoulda said ''You should have told me you were a 'nit'''
I so agree with you. I like you have mixed with lots of young Mums and some are really struggling to do the best for their children. and to give them a better chance than they might have had....I always encouraged them and its surprising how much a few well chosen words can make a difference.Lots of them have never been given any praise or encouragement.

Jimbo.
Lots of what you said rung true with me, and not everyone has had the same opportunities, we have had...though I do think in a lot of cases you make your own luck.I never expect things to be easy[and Im not usually disappointed :roll: ] but Ive found the harder youve worked and battled for something the more you appreciate it.
I find if you treat people with respect you get it back. Whatever job theyre doing, treating them with courtesy costs nothing and usually you get it back multiplied.
Ive had Bus drivers, Ive got to know, taking a different route to drop me off nearer my house in the pouring rain,because Ive always been pleasant to them.
When I helped my friend in her cafe a few years back and we had buffets to do, when I was serving the food I felt invisible many times, no eye contact or even an acknowledgement that you existed ,as you were only waiting on them so didnt merit it...
I always say thank you when Im being served..
[I even say no thank you to the Big Issue Sellers....I think its only fair to acknowledge them even if you dont want the magazine]and they are usually polite back.
enid

Post by enid »

And actually thinking about how people serving us must feel if we don't thank them and acknowledge them and treat them as our servants - that just happened to me with my last guests and I didn't like the feeling at all.

I agree with Ros - treat people well and you get it back most of the time.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I am with you both on this. It hit a cord with me. I notice how ill mannered many of the teenagers are here in Italy. It costs nothing to say good morning and good bye or thank you to the driver, especially when he waits for someone after he has started to pull away and so often they don't even thank him. arggggg

The postman where I used to live in London was such a lovely, friendly chap that those on his route gave him a huge party on the 25th anniversary of his service on their route. He was showered with presents and money. Even Paul Smith turned up in the middle of Fashion Week to congratulate him. He got back what he gave to others.

I don't for 1 minute imagine his life was any easier than any one elses, it's just that he put the effort in, always smiled and went out of his way to help others. I'm quite certain he bent the rules, but what a contribution he made to everyone on his route.

I will never forget him, yet in over all terms, he was a very small part of my life, but a very enriching part.

Chianti
DarrenC

Post by DarrenC »

It doesn't take two seconds to say 'thank you'

I have the same problem when I receive an email asking for travel advice. I take the time to reply to all emails but very few email back and say thanks.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

An interesting thread, GG.

We now work with a number of local cottages so that we all know who has got availability and when. On the whole it works very well, but must admit that you don't always know if your referrals have worked (despite the polite "Please let them/cottage*** know that we gave you their details").

But then again, it is pleasing when the enquirer comes back to say that they have booked your recommendation. You just hope they'll remember you for next time! And we know that we get the occasional booking/enquiry from others so we reckon it's working. And a quiet thank you/bottle of wine works wonders :lol:
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

A couple of hours ago I sent an enquiry to a German chap regarding his apartment in Sardinia. He sent me a lovely reply so naturally I replied thanking him and also saying that I would be back in touch should I decide to book. Quick as a flash he sent me another reply thanking me ever ever so much for thanking him! It was lovely to have helped make someones day. :D

Eileen

Holiday Villa Rental in Arillas, Corfu,
Greece
ballamboy

Am I being churlish?

Post by ballamboy »

I'm not a regular poster but dip in for useful advice occasionally - thanks to those who post more regularly.

I've been renting out my villa in Turkey for a couple of years so have got used to seldom receiving replies from email enquiries. I haven't looked at it scientifically, but I guess less than 1 in 10 converts to a booking.

I had an enquiry a week ago from a woman who wanted to know price/availability, would it be suitable for her 85 year old father, were there sea views etc etc. I spent about 20 mins putting together a 4 or 5 paragraph reply....

A week later and nothing heard. I sometimes send a second polite email asking if they received the first, maybe it was caught up in a spam filter (yes, I know that it doesn't make sense - if they didn't receive the first they are unlikely to have received the second - but it makes me feel better, and sometimes elicits a reply!)

This morning I've sent the following......

Dear XXXX,

You enquired about the availability of our villa, and asked a few particular questions. I replied with the information that you requested.

I would have appreciated a reply to let me know that you had at least received the email. Nobody expects every enquiry to turn into a booking but a one line reply that you were booking elsewhere or whatever would have been appreciated.

Regards.

XXXXXXXXXXX

Am I being over-sensitive? I don't expect a reply but it's made me feel better.....at least the recipient will have to read it!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Personally, I think that is the sort of reply that you should draft (to make you feel better) and then delete without sending. The enquirier may have had perfectly good reasons for not replying or may have just forgotten or may just not have thought it was necessary to reply. How willing is that person going to be to consider booking with you in the future after receiving your email - after all, you are effectively telling them they have bad manners, or many would see it that way.

I don't expect people to reply to my replies to their enquiries because it is a fact of life that very few people do (of those who are not going to book I mean). I do send a gentle follow up to people I thought were serious, just asking if I can help them with any more information.

I want those people who don't book this year to remember how helpful I was and consider booking at some time in the future.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Am I being over-sensitive?
Probably... yes.

From my perspective, we are in the business of replying to enquiries. We don't have a right to expect thanks or replies.

Sometimes when I have given up all hope of hearing back from an enquirer, I get an email out of the blue to book. Potential guests have all sorts of things to contend with - arranging travel, booking leave from work, coordinating with other bookings, etc.

The danger of your email is that it may be counter-productive. By appearing pushy, you might just lose a potential guest, or get crossed off their short-list for next year.

It might make you feel better, but is it good business practice?
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I'm sorry but I think it's not at all suitable to send such an email. When people enquire about anything, new car, clothes, insurance, package holiday, you name it, it's just an enquiry, no one comes chasing after you because you enquired. After you have responded in a polite and helpful manner, then you should leave it at that. Call it window shopping if you like.

I totally agree with the others on this.

Our conversion rate is high, I believe because: we offer full details in our listings, probably because our rental is only for 2 people and many enquirers are decisive people, who have made their minds up before emailing. Many don't even bother to view our website, there's no need with a full listing with a good listing company.

Chianti
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Slight variation on the question is what to do when someone actually does respond with "Thanks, but we have found elsewhere..."

I have often been tempted to reply with "Thanks for letting me know and have a great holiday", but what's really to be gained and when does this cycle stop ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Hi Richard

Thats what I do, if they have taken the trouble to let me know I thank them for that! They might have found somewhere else for all sorts of reasons so I also add' maybe bookmark me for next time!'

I doubt anything is gained from it though!!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Slight variation on the question is what to do when someone actually does respond with "Thanks, but we have found elsewhere..."

I have often been tempted to reply with "Thanks for letting me know and have a great holiday", but what's really to be gained and when does this cycle stop ?
Hi Richard :D
Thats actually much of what I do say...whats to be gained??
Im not surem
but im always pleasantly surprised when people bother with such niceties........so Im polite back..

Whats to be gained im not sure........... :roll:

but i did get a booking for this year, cos someone said I was so helpful and pleasant, when they enquired the year before..............what does it cost??
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Big Sis..

You're so right, it costs nothing and it leave others with the knowledge that you are helpful and polite.

Chianti