Still having photo problems

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Chianti

Still having photo problems

Post by Chianti »

After my computer was returned to me, you may remember I had great difficulties with every aspect of my photos, but was helped to sort out some of them

I now can't download from my Canon camera into PowerShot, but luckily I can from my printer. It starts to download but won't finish.

Most frustrating is the fact that when I try to rename my photos, it changes them from Jpeg to either a file or a bitmap and they won't download. What on God's earth is happening? It is not any of Microsoft's business if I want to rename my photos, why the problem? How do I change them back and stop this happening again?

Any help will be gratefully received and the drinks are on me :!:

Chianti
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti wrote:Most frustrating is the fact that when I try to rename my photos, it changes them from Jpeg to either a file or a bitmap and they won't download. What on God's earth is happening? It is not any of Microsoft's business if I want to rename my photos, why the problem? How do I change them back and stop this happening again?
You don’t make it clear but when you say “It is not any of Microsoft's business if I want to rename my photos� I suspect you are renaming your photos in Windows Explorer. This will not do, I think you should open each one in a “photo� program of some sort and then “Save As� using the extension of your choice.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Alan

I'm joking about Microsoft. Let me try to explain: I like to view my pics in my Picture folder and have always been able to re-name them with no difficulties. I've not had to save them or do anything else, just change the name. When my computer was returned, I couldn't do the same things I did before. I was helped to be able to use my Picture folder as before, but still have the problem of them changing variety or file type, when I rename them. I need to return them to jpeg files and insure that Bill Gate's software or any one else's doesn't interfere.

I've just checked and it's in Microsoft Photo Editor, which is
what I think I was told to use to get rid of the other problems.

What do you suggest?

Added

I've just tried to work on them in Picasa2 and can't find any way of changing them so I'm now going to try Canon ZoomBrowser

Chianti
Last edited by Chianti on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti wrote:Alan

I'm joking about Microsoft. Let me try to explain: I like to view my pics in my Picture folder and have always been able to re-name them with no difficulties. I've not had to save them or do anything else, just change the name. When my computer was returned, I couldn't do the same things I did before. I was helped to be able to use my Picture folder as before, but still have the problem of them changing variety or file type, when I rename them. I need to return them to jpeg files and insure that Bill Gate's software or any one else's doesn't interfere.

I've just checked and it's in Microsoft Photo Editor, which is what I think I was told to use to get rid of the other problems.

What do you suggest?

Chianti
I know nothing about MS Photo Editor so I have no idea. If it’s anything like MS Picture Manager I wouldn’t bother with it. I would use something like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro; they support and save in just about every file format known to man. They’ll also enable you to change your existing pictures back from bitmaps or metafiles or whatever to the jpeg format you want.

If you don’t have Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro and would be happy with a cheaper or even a free alternative then go to http://www.download.com/ or http://www.shareware.com/ and browse around.

Alan
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Alan

That's interesting. Presumably I can do the same in Picasa or Canon Zoombrowser. I have a feeling I tried and it didn't work. I would rather not download more programmes if I can avoid it.

Do you think I can do it in the above and what should I be looking for in which to perform the task? If not then I'll download one that you have kindly listed

Thanks

Chianti
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

That's interesting. Presumably I can do the same in Picasa or Canon Zoombrowser. I have a feeling I tried and it didn't work. I would rather not download more programmes if I can avoid it.

Do you think I can do it in the above and what should I be looking for in which to perform the task? If not then I'll download one that you have kindly listed

Thanks

Chianti
Please don’t ask me questions about Picasa or Canon Zoombrowser; you might as well ask me questions about the Outer Mongolian language - I have no idea.

My Fujifilm digital camera similarly came with all sorts of software which all immediately went into the rubbish bin. When I plug my camera into a USB socket it becomes my “H� drive and I use either Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to access my “H� drive.

I then use either Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to rename and save the pictures to my “C� drive in whatever format I select. I’d suggest you do likewise even if it is by using a downloaded shareware program.

Within MS Windows, if you set your “File Associations� properly, any e.g. jpeg file will automatically open in the program of your choice.

Am I helping or just adding to the confusion? Am I speaking English or Outer Mongolian?

Alan
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Alan

Inner Mongolia. No, actually, I was able to follow. What I'm going to do now that you have mentioned file associations, is to see if I can change them using my Microsoft programme because I'm used to it. If that fails, then I'm going to download one of the programmes you have listed.

It's so frustrating, I've downloaded hundreds of photos with no difficulties, my computer crashed and has been returned with photographic difficulties which waste so much time. If I had more technical knowledge I suppose it wouldn't have been a problem, ahh well.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for spending so much time trying to find a solution.

Chianti
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Alan

I'm not sure how I did it, but I've changed it back to a jpeg file. I was in my photo file, opened the photo, opened properties and kept changing the package to use. Eventually it changed it back to jpeg and instead of using the renaming option in my Picture Tasks which is where and when it gets changed, I used Save As, which you suggested.

The other photo had been changed into a document file and that could not be retrieved. Lord knows how a photo can be changed to a doc, but it was. I've just thought, the photo I lost may be OK on my backup disk, if I ever need to use it.

From now on I shall use the Save As option, instead of the re-naming one.

This story had a happy ending. :lol: Thanks so much for your help and the hint on how to insure that it doesn't happen again.

Have a drink on me. Italian, of course

Chianti
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti,

If I was able to point you in the right direction then I am pleased.

Would it be OK if I patted myself on the back with a bottle of something styled “Super Tuscan�? I always use “save as� and there’s one lurking in the cellar labelled “saved as�.

Alan
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Alan

Yes pat yourself on the back, I learned a good lesson from your instructions & Super Tuscan is fine, red?

:wink:

Chianti
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Yes pat yourself on the back, I learned a good lesson from your instructions & Super Tuscan is fine, red?

:wink:

Chianti
Yes, it is very red and I'm sure it will be very lovely.

Alan