European Emergency Number 112

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Normandy Cow

European Emergency Number 112

Post by Normandy Cow »

Has anyone ever used this?

I presume that they would speak English, but does anyone know where they are based? I don't want to call them to ask, as it would not be an emergency and I would hate to clog up the phone lines, but I'd like to learn a little more.

Last night at 9.30pm (GMT), our guests called from France because the woman had cystitis and didn't know what to do. In the end, we directed her to the nearest hospital (30 minutes away) and she saw a doctor. But I've since been told that she should have called 15 and they would have referred her to the hospital. But she doesn't speak French, so wouldn't have been able to explain. But if she'd have called 112, would they have enough local knowledge to know which hospital to send her to?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Don't you have the telephone number of your GP NC? They have out of hours cover and I would have contacted them in that case, cystitis is hardly life threatening. Cranberry juice is very effective.
The Urgences at the nearest hospital would have sorted her out.
In France, if you phone 15, they will decide if your case is serious or not, if it isn't they won't come, you will get the pompiers, if it is even less serious, they won't come, you will have to get a taxi/ambulance to the hospital yourself.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

No, I agree that cystitis doesn't warrant calling an ambulance, however I do know what agony it can be without medication.

So I just wanted to know whether calling the European Emergency number would have been helpful. Not expecting them to send someone out, but could they have directed her to the best place to get treatment at that time of night? I would be surprised if our local GP's out of hours service would speak English, but then again, maybe if it is a central number, they would.

I know about Cranberry juice, but do they sell it in France?

Finally, I was amazed to find out that after seeing a doctor at the hospital, he gave her a prescription to take to the chemist in Gaillefontaine which is a very very small town. And although the chemist was shut, they had to ring the bell, and the pharmacist eventually answered the intercom and told them to wait 10 minutes because he lived 12 kms away! How amazing is that!!! 12.30am and he still came out and opened his shop to serve her!!!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

They do sell cranberry juice in France, I always have to get some in when my Mum visits. Sorry, I don't know about 112, never even heard of it, I just know the French emergency numbers.
I know it is easy for me to say as I live on site and take care of this myself, but it is possible to make yourself understood with a doctor even if you don't speak the language as many medical conditions have similar names and you can always point. Many doctors speak a little English and there is always an on duty pharmacie available in the area, it is listed in your local paper.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

La Vache wrote:there is always an on duty pharmacie available in the area, it is listed in your local paper.
Ah, that explains it! I couldn't work out why the doctor in the hospital in the larger town of Neufchatel sent them to the chemist in Gaillefontaine - he must have been that day's duty pharmacist...
It all makes sense now. And I will look out for Cranberry juice in the shops and get a supply of that too.
La Vache wrote:Sorry, I don't know about 112, never even heard of it
I've just done some more research, and it would appear that you're not alone:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6336099.stm

So... Has anyone ever called it, and what was the response?
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Normandy

I posted on your other thread. I'm sure that there is always a local pharmacy on call 24 hours a day, which is why they came out for her.

I would find the number of a doctor who will take emergency calls from tourists and find out their charges. In actual fact, it may be free if they carry the new medical card.

I also feel that all of the emergency services will be able to handle a bit of English, as everyone below a certain age has studied it and yes they will know where the nearest hospital is, but it's good to list it in your notes.

The one juice which you can't find here is cranberry, boo hoo.

Chianti
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

NC
There is always a duty pharmacist which will open 24 hours in every area.Its normal for you local pharmacist to post on the door who is the duty one for that evening or sunday you go along and if not open ring the bell and they come down in the middle of the night or will drive out if they are not on hand.
Nessie
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

How spooky is that, I just had one of those round robin e-mails through tonight, here it is:

A bit of useful advice - verified by the Dorset Police ..
The number does work from a mobile. This actually happened to someone's daughter.

Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college. This story takes place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on.
Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc So Lauren remembered her parents' advice, and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone. This connected her to the police dispatcher she told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area.
The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way. Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.
One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground...... ..the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes. I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car.
Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did.
Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal). This is good information that I did not know!
Please pass on to all your family and friends, especially any females.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Partridge

That's spooky and a lesson to us all. When we grew up one never had to consider these things, but the world has changed and it's important to tread carefully.

Thank you for sharing that story.

Chianti
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

My understanding has always been that the 112 number simply takes you through to the usual emergency services i.e. in the UK, what you get when you dial 999. The idea is to have the same number for getting through to local emergency services in each country so that people travelling around Europe do not have to remember a different emergency number in each country.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi folks,

ooh goodie, I can report that we have the 112 number displayed prominently on our first page of notes (scuse me, back in a sec, must polish halo...), but I must admit I have never checked whether it actually works (wouldn't dare!). My understanding is that it is a free number to the local emergency services, which should work from all mobile phones anywhere in Europe...
paolo

Post by paolo »

That email sounds like one of those urban myths, remember the one about the girl in her car in the woods with the strange thumping noise on the roof?

If your phone has no signal, how can it connect to 112? Is it a magic number?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

paolo wrote:If your phone has no signal, how can it connect to 112? Is it a magic number?
Baffling, isn't it? But that is, I think, exactly what it is supposed to do....
Ju

Post by Ju »

We knew about the 112 number - and I have taught it to my children (so much easier for them to remember one number rather than 4 different ones). I believe that you can get English speaking help through this number.

I certainly wouldn't call it for cyctitis (would you call 999??) but there is another number which is similar to NHS direct which I have called at weekends etc and they put you in touch with a doctor. I'll check if it works though-out France before I post the number.

Ju
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Just found this... http://www.sos112.info/
paolo wrote:
If your phone has no signal, how can it connect to 112? Is it a magic number?
I wonder if what was meant is that you can phone it from a mobile even without any 'credit' on your phone..as you can dial 999 in England?