When should I start?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Jenroy

Post by Jenroy »

Thanks TP & LOL - I have immediately taken your advice reference photos and was unaware that you were able to do such things as cloning!! Poor first effort at same, but as we are out again in two weeks we will be able to choose some better shots. Shooting photos will take on a totally new perspective from now on!!!

I will provide more detailed details of what the villa will be like, as the descriptions are a bit stark.

I have had feedback from someone who is currently letting in the same area and their comments are that we are undervaluing the property and could charge more. Now I know you only recently started how did you come around to pricing and did you get it right first time. We did not want to price ourselves out of the market, but on the other hand if we are too cheap could that have an adverse effect?
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I checked out the listing sites for similar properties and slapped ours just underneath the average, but I was somewhat overtaken by events and booked up very quickly, so will increase my prices for next year.
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

tree-peony wrote:I checked out the listing sites for similar properties and slapped ours just underneath the average, but I was somewhat overtaken by events and booked up very quickly, so will increase my prices for next year.
I thing that this is good policy. This might seem to be giving money away but a good first year is very comforting and your first flush of guests will give good reports to their friends and neighbours as well as returning themselves. Just push the prices up over the next couple of years until you get the balance right.

John
Maro

Post by Maro »

Pricing, what a headache. I spent a lot of time checking other peoples pricing prior to setting mine last summer which was our first season letting. The problem is we have no pool and the nearest public one is 15 minutes drive away, so I reduced my price to compete with "better" properties. The feedback I got from guests was that we were very cheap, I think I over compensated for the lack of pool.
This year I am charging 20% extra and it has not affected bookings one bit. I think people do assume if it's cheap there must be something wrong with it.
Maro
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

honestly, I think it's best to under-price at first than overprice...especially until yiou have proper furnishings and photos ;-)

I also don't know how correct your fried is....do they rent to Italians? Tropea certainly is super popular with Italians...but don't know how it is going for the rest of the world yet :-) (although those in the UK may be more in-the-know than the Americans who have still barely heard of Calabria ;-) )! Your prices certainly don't seem way low...OR way high :-) - at least on HLettings where you are really in the "southern italy" group since they haave so few in tropea...I'd wait and see how the bookings go before you try to up things. I would also think you should peek at the Amalfi Coast and Gargano Coasat properties too...I think people looking for a beach vacation in Italy may be looking at a lot of options - so just be in line with other ocean-views and I'm sure you'll book up! There aren't a lot of large villas near the beach...so I would think if you are marketing to that group you should and will be able to price accordingly :-)
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hey Jenna - just being nosey I guess :-) but is that your villa on the ownersdirect site as well (the www in your profile/signature)? just confused becasue it looked different than the HL one.
Jenroy

Post by Jenroy »

Hi Musetta,

Yes it is the same villa, but it looks totally different if viewed from above or below. The below shot shows both floors, but on the owners direct site it looks as though there is one large building, but in fact there are two. They have had to put in a retaining wall. We were not too pleased, but they will eventually clad the area between the two villas - so they will at least look separated.

Perhaps I should remove that shot as guests might be disappointed if they only get the right hand part :roll: