My last guests nicked the towels!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Kersh

My last guests nicked the towels!

Post by Kersh »

Morning everyone ...

Can I have some advice please. I had an e-mail this morning from the guest who left last Friday saying that they have taken the towels with them. I have never asked for a security deposit so cannot recoup the cost that way.

Has anyone ever persued costs from a previous guest before and how have you gone about it? This is the first time we've ever had anything taken from the apartment and while the cost is not a great deal, I am determined to at least send them an e-mail/letter asking for the towels to either be returned, or them pay the cost of some new ones.

Any tips before I write this e-mail? Should I threaten to give their details to the local Police? I know that the Police wouldn't do anything over a few towels ... I just want to add some weight to the e-mail.

I'm considering a taking security deposit from guests in future now.

Thanks
Kersh
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Kersh, ask them to post them back to you, or send them an invoice for their replacement.
Fil

Post by Fil »

And why did they email saying they had taken the towels ? Did you ask them ? Do they have an explanation ?

In any case, just ask them back or, if they are damaged, the replacement price.
centime

Post by centime »

Was the guest nice about it as you said that they emailed you and told you they had taken the towels? Was it just a packing oversight? If so I am sure if you send a nice email that they will send you the money for replacement ones as this may be easier for them than packing them up and posting the towels now they have got so attached to them :wink: . How many towels did they take, were they driving or did they have a huge flight baggage allowance?? I expect you will get more out of them if you are nice about it, than going in full guns blazing :evil: .

I had a delightful family from Rome last spring - the darlings even brought their own espresso machine although we have a coffee filter machine. They had managed to leave one of my teaspoons from my nice set in their coffee jar by mistake and I got a little padded bag in the post with it a week or so later. I don't remember if the maid even told me it was missing. Lets hope your problem get sorted out this easily, just don't get mad as it just gives YOU stress you don't need in the long run.
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Oh sorry, I should have read my original post. It was my manager who told me the guests had taken the towels. Sorry :oops:

I've not heard form the guests since they left.

They took 5 towels in total and i'm sure they drove to the apartment. I think it was a packing oversight.
centime

Post by centime »

All 5 towels can't be a packing oversight :o , were they French as they expect to bring all their linen and towels with them? I would still try and contact them and explain, or maybe they would like you to provide paper towels the next time :roll: - I know you can buy disposable sheets! I would still try and not get mad but get your point across to these selfish guests. Best of luck keep and us posted about the outcome.
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

centime wrote: I expect you will get more out of them if you are nice about it, than going in full guns blazing :evil: .
I think that's generally pretty good advice. I would ascertain all the facts, first and then have a think about what you need to do. Your guests might have opened their suitcases at home and been mortified to find your towels staring them in the face. It is annoying, though, especially if it leaves you short of towels for other guests.
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Rocket Rab, unfortunately it has left us short of towels for the apartment which is problem. Whether or not they return them or pay for them, we must buy some new ones this week so we can give them to next week's guests.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Kersh, I don't think 'considering' taking a damage deposit is appropriate, you should be 'definitely' taking one.
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

HelenB, i've always tried to avoid taking a security deposit because it never seams to go down well with my guests. Trying to get them to pay before they arrive caused one guest from Holland last year to call me spitting feathers. English people seam to accept it no problems but others not so well.

I've sent a nice gentle e-mail to the guests asking them where the towels are. I'll keep you posted.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No-one has questioned paying it, although a couple of French guests asked about payment on arrival.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Ahh yes you should definitely take a deposit, I've never had a problem with people paying it either. What if someone took something more expensive than towels, that could cause you a big problem with no deposit.

Someone has nicked a double sheet from my studio not sure why they would do that or who it was as its only just been discovered, very strange!

I hope you get the towels back or at least payment for them! What a pain.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've got someone booked in the Spring who refused to pay the security deposit, because they've already paid a deposit for the rental :shock: and they've never paid one anywhere before. They've also e mailed me to confirm the dates as they've forgotten and whether there are 2 or 3 pin sockets in France. Why have I got bad feeling about this one???
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I can possibly see why people like Fibi don't normally take a deposit, as they are on site, and it should be much easier to sort out, but esp if you are an absent owner, you need some form of security against guests damaging your place. Call it a form of trust if you like, if they are willing to cough up they are reasonably likely to leave the place in good nick, as they will want their money back. If they don't want to pay a damage deposit, I am not sure I would want to take the booking.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Kersh

Five towels didn't go missing by accident, unless the children did the packing, what a nuisance. unless your towels were absolutely amasing I can't understand anyone even wanting to carry them home, especially dirty, possibly wet ones. Just thought, maybe they damaged them, so got rid of them thinking you wouldn't notice.

There seems to be a run on bad guests this week and oddly enough, neither of you charge a security deposit.

I'm glad you emailed them and asked politely what happened to the towels. If they agree to post them, do insure it's by recorded delivery.

I do wish you luck.

Chianti