Pain in Spain....

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Big Sis..

Pain in Spain....

Post by Big Sis.. »

Pack in 2 hours, couple told . . . then their home was bulldozed

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l ... 168519.ece

Thousands could lose place in the sun...

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l ... 168472.ece
CSE

Post by CSE »

That is the trouble here. If you purchase a new house you will never seemly know if it is legal. We have some acquaintances who have purchased new houses, all were legal, or so they thought. It seems that one part of the government outlaws the other. So if your local concello agrees to the building it seems that the Junta may not agree with that decision. It seems that the foreigners are getting it in the neck as we have not heard of many Spanish being affected by this.
Here in Galicia they have knocked down a few houses on the coast that were seemly built to different specifications to that given i.e. an extra floor or too larger footprint. Building a house like this is just greedy or very stupid)
Hopefully our house is safe as it is something like 300 years old, with extensions the last one dating back only 100 years.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Both,

Weve been lucky too[touch wood] but I also have friends whove been effected and its heartbreaking. :(
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

As an island we're suffering terribly with 'money in the back pocket' politics authorising builds which then turn out to be illegal. The developers know about this of course (and I suspect the lawyers too) - it's the poor unsuspecting buyers that don't know.
A case that comes to mind tho were someone did know is the rich musician who literally blasted away the top of a large hill to build a huge house...making a complete blot on the landscape.
He knew it was illegal, the council knew it was illegal and after 6 years of toing and froing still nothing has happened and the mayor who passed the building permission remains untouched. This only encourages others (who can afford it) to do likewise

The musician has now declared the place was giving him bad vibes (he should try living in the small village in its shadow) and moved out 2 years ago. They're still threatening to bulldoze it but are unlikely too as he's a 'celebrity'.

Closer to home one block, of 3 blocks of apartments, was built too near to an ajacent house on the coast (owned by Franco's doctor as it happens!). The developer again knew what he was doing as he'd already had to move the building site back 12ft when originally work on the foundation of the 1st block was going on. Anyway - the apartments are all sold and being lived in and the Doctor finally got his day sceduled in court. Just before he was due to go...the mayor approved a planning application to build another block of apartments on his land (he has a front line villa)...again this was illegal as no-one can now build so close to the coast...but that didn't seem to matter.

Now - this would have been another mass of concrete on a beautiful coastline but it would have saved people who had bought the apartments from having them bulldozed - so do 2 wrongs make a right? Meanwhile the Doctor would make a fortune selling his land to the developer who would also make a fortune building and selling more apartments (front line this time).

The mayor was voted out of office 1 week later and the green party has pursued the case through the courts. Now the Mayors 2nd illegal decision has been overturned and so the Doctor no longer having the opportunity to make money has continued with his case and won. So the whole block of apartments has to come down.

These situations are an awful mix of power and greed and unfortunately in the main it's the purchasers who suffer rather than the developers and Mayors who make the money.
There are so many cases like this in Ibiza at the moment that it's being dubbed 'little marbella' luckily most are still in development so unsold.

Thankfully the new mayor in San Jose has stopped approving building licences until all current and future works have been completely checked out. So it's hopefully a safer future.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
polly

Post by polly »

I owned a Villa in Almeria, but fortunately sold it last year. I believe that this part of the Spain is worse than others for illegal house building.

I feel really sorry for those that have bought illegal properties in good faith. There should be something done. :(
My Villa in Campoverde Spain