Advice about trains and places to stay in Italy

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
Normandy Cow

Advice about trains and places to stay in Italy

Post by Normandy Cow »

Please see my thread about InterRail and travelling in Italy:

viewtopic.php?t=5911&highlight=

(Please add any replies to that thread, not this one, thanks!)
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hey - sorry...missed this thread until today ;-)

I've done Eurail passes around Europe before...but it really almost never, ever makes sense to do it in Italy - the point to point tickets come out cheaper. (don't know abouot the trip getting back, etc. though)

Check on www.trenitalia.it - there is an english version...be patient as it is very finicky ;-) The Italian ticket specials are a bit of a puzzle too...but basically, if you use the "family" fare, a child under 12 travels free with parents and the ther child would be 50% off (hmmm..can't remember your ids ages though - under 4 is totally free....and they would never let me buy a ticket for my son until this year - ticket agents laugeed at me trying to pay and he's 7...so there'a bit of give)

Most spots I know in Venice are holiday rentals ;-) so it may not help you...but you can try emailing Denise at http://www.venicerentals.com and ask her if she can help...she knows me as "Musetta" from another board if you want to use my "name" ;-) I have Starwood points, so we are staying at the Europa and Regina when we're there...but I have gotten really good deals before at the Dei Dogi (5* - lovely...but probably best you'll do is 200/night - they didn't charge for a roll-away though) and the Palazzo Priuli (http://www.hotelpriuli.com/en/index.htm) I LOVED it...we got a rate of under 100 euro night (!!!!!!!) on octopustravel once...but that was two years ago (and it included breakfast).

I'll let you know if I think of any others ;-) have a great trip!!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thanks Musetta, I've bookmarked those links and this thread so that I have all the info to hand. Interesting point about the train costs in Italy - I'll have to do some calculations to see about the cost.

One other question. Have you been to Venice in August? Is it going to be exceptionally hot and busy? I'm guessing that it is probably the worst time to go... :?
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

sorry...haven't spent time there in August...probably hot...probably pretty busy...but I'd still take Venice in August over no Venice at all ;-) just stay away from St. Mark's area until evening (or early am) when the day-trippers/cruise ships leave and you'll be fine ;-) there are still plenty of places there not overrun and off-the-beaten-path....sometimes you just have to wander around a bit to find them ;-)