Frustrated newcomer no bookings 2007 - 2008

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
casamireya

Frustrated newcomer no bookings 2007 - 2008

Post by casamireya »

Hello

Have been following this site for a while with interest and have been trying to pick up some tips.

I really would appreciate any advice regarding my property which I have recently listed on 4 sites, having been listed on HR with no bookings since March 2007.

FRUSTRATION would be the understatement.

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Spain/ ... p76340.htm

The house is lovely, the furniture all hand made, top quality linens and furnishing fabrics, very well equipped, beautiful location and cheap. There are some negatives which I wont point out myself - but I still dont get it. Could a market not exist or has everybody already visited Spain ?

I am completely open to suggestions for improvement.
Thanks
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I am not a 'Spain' person so probably not the best person to comment, but I will anyway!

I did have some problems with the photos on your website. The view of the pool made the properties there look as though they are on a development where there is little space between. And the sitting room photo looks very dark and heavy - not the kind of furniture I would expect to see in a hot, sunny country. I realise you can't do much about that, but I would have some light and colourful cushions and angle the photos for maximum light and minimum view of the furniture. It looks like leather furniture and I would expect to stick to that in hot weather!?

I think your text also needs some looking at. It seems a bit jumbled in some places. More punctuation needed and some words missing?

Listing on one site is always dodgy. Some sites are great for some people and a waste of time for others so hopefully expanding the number of listing sites will help identify some which work.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I would check how well your chosen listing sites do on Google by using this method:

How to find the best listing sites

And also check your prices are in line with the competition, if they are higher that would seem the most logical reason for no bookings.

How many enquiries have you had?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
brenda

Post by brenda »

What 4 sites are you listed on?

We used to be on Owners Direct and Perfect Places but found over the past 2 years that interest from these has plummetted. However www.homelidays.com brings in good results.

Spain still gets many visitors but, with so many rental properties now available, pricing has to be so competitive - yours seem a little high to me.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Sorry - I didn't word that very well. Meant to say that your prices are high for round here but they may well be comparable with similar properties in your area. Also meant to say that we are currently with OD but, due to a great frcrease in interest from this site, we will not be renewing.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't know the Spanish market at all, but your prices do seem a little on the high side for the area. I've done a search and found
a private villa with private pool for £850 in peak season
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p87802
in Torremolinos, but as I said, I really don't know anything about Spain, so feel free to ignore me!
brenda

Post by brenda »

I feel that people prepared to pay your high season rental charge would expect a private pool for their money rather than a communal one.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Also you ad says that one of your highlights is daily maid service - but on the inside page it seems you have to pay extra for this. Maybe I am misreading your ad but I would expect a listed highlight to be included in the rental cost.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Hi casamireya

First of all let me say I'm also finding enquiries really slow this year and actual bookings even slower!

With that in mind, here's my initial thoughts:

I regularly fly into Malaga airport and drive south down the Toll Road and I'm always struck by the amount of huge urbanisations springing up either side of the motorway. It leads me to think that competition must be very fierce and getting worse all the time. In fact on HR alone there currently 2230 properties listed in the Malaga province.

Perhaps supply far outstrips demand and I have to agree with others that on that basis your prices do seem high. The average DIY holidaymaker is very canny these days and they know how to find a good deal and are prepared to look for it.

Also I think your lead heading is misleading. Hideaway to me says privacy and off the beaten track, not on an urbanisation with lots of immediate neighbours.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with your property or it's location, just that maybe you're not playing to it's strengths. It's no good implying guests will find peace and quiet if it's quite clear that there'll be 50 properties sharing the pool in August

That said there are potential guests out there who would die at the thought of peace and quiet and what lots of company etc.

Think about who is likely to want to holiday in your area, golfers, families, singles? maybe you're missing out because you're aiming at the wrong group?

Also think about what will set your house apart from your neighbours? why should someone book yours rather than the one across the road.

If you're not sure what your strengths are, ask friends and family who have already visited - what did they like etc and then make sure your advertising spells it out!

Hope things turn around for you soon!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LaLuz, excellent advice.
casamireya

Post by casamireya »

Thankyou all for your comments.

This property was not really purchased with the purpose of letting out, if it had been I would have purchased differently but this is something I have decided to do and become frustrated by.

Clearly it would be a lot easier with the property having 4 beds to let if there were a private pool. This is being planned. In the meantime it does not exist.

As far as price is concerned this is a bit sticky, It has been interesting to hear all the comments about the property appearing expensive, property in this part of the world, particularly in the upmarket developments a little back from the coast and beachfront is expensive with a decent size townhouse costing almost 1 million Euros. That would buy 2 Brittany farmhouses maybe, which after a quick look on HR let out for around the same price, and get the bookings if they are nice ( have not looked at that example in depth just in case I upset a Brittany farmhouse owner ) Clearly one issue is that rental prices cannot be set relative to property values ( which should reflect the quality, size and location of the house but not necessarily its holiday rental potential) but have to be set considering the European competition where property can be purchased and let out a lot cheaper elsewhere, so elsewhere an OK 4 bed villa with pool can be had for a weeks rental at the same price.

In my case a comparison with other 4 beds around Marbella also looks favourable with a very similar property at 1600 GBP high season in comparison to my 1175 ( however they dont have any bookings )

I did not mean to answer my own question here but the pricing issue has been food for thought and i,m just trying to understand it.

On the issue of Hideaway, this property is within a 360 acre area which is its own valley where there are around 50 other properties that make up the Andalucian village 95% of these properties are second homes which are not let out, there are also very large villas dotted around and its very very tranquil, however yes the hideaway bit may require a rethink, not sure what the replacement would be.

To answer Paulos question, I had around 15 enquiries from HR last year 3 of which i turned down due to size of party, the others did not materialise. I would say that most of the enquirers tried to get the price down.

In the past weeks I have signed up to OD ChooseSpain villarenters and I sure will try your search tips.

Thanks so much to all for taking the time to give your opinions, I dont want to single anybody out. If there are any additional ones please let me know, I am happy to hear from you!!!!

Thanks again
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

Casa, as a new owner myself, can I suggest that you try and find similar properties to yours that do have bookings and see how their prices compare? That's how I set my prices :) It's really got very little to do with value of the property and much more to do with what people are willing to pay.
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
casamireya

Post by casamireya »

Tree peony you are right, seems like i have to look at this in a different way and not calculate returns in my normal way.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

tree-peony wrote:Casa, as a new owner myself, can I suggest that you try and find similar properties to yours that do have bookings and see how their prices compare? That's how I set my prices :) It's really got very little to do with value of the property and much more to do with what people are willing to pay.
TP is quite right. The holiday rental market here in Brittany is completely different to where you are and so are the property prices. You can only compare with prices within your area.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I'm a bit further back than you, Casamireya, in Alhaurin de la Torre, a rural destination with mountain and sea views - very quiet - no neighbours- just a donkey ! We are about 15 mins from nearest beach. We are about 35 mins from each other I think.
I have to hit a market that wishes for peace and quiet, with the golf course next door, private pool, gardens, very traditional Andaluz houses - they have to hire cars - so we only appeal to certain few, but we have two villas which targets those wanting to bring three families.
If you find your market - you are much closer to the beaches than me, in a fairly expensive area, Marbella and its delights, no need for a car, nearby eateries, shops etc., golf ( I can do that one but you have better courses and more of them ) - all the things I cannot offer my guests, and bring your prices down a little to compete equally with the neighbours, I think you will find increased enquiries.
Out of high season, I often have to let my houses singly because there are not hoardes of children and the 13 places I can offer are not required. When I take a single let, it is very difficult to put someone next door in the other house because each group want the pool to themselves. So, I take a drop in income and let them have it to themselves. I can rarely double up because we have a lot of competition in the Malaga area.
My point is this, I have a private pool and jacuzzi and my clients won't share, unless maybe I have a business man in who doesn't mind because he doesn't want to use the facilities. Ideally, I would lease my two villas together all year.
I have to get around the problem by saying, in high season, it has to be a two villa booking and I always sell out. I am not sure you can charge quite so much if the pool is shared, I am trying to put this delicately not to give offence.
I know a lot of LMH members have shared pools and it need not be a problem, if the price reflects that.
Shared pools are subject to rules and limitations of the urbanisation. private pools are just that - our guests stay up half the night in it sometimes.