Frustrated newcomer no bookings 2007 - 2008

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

casamireya wrote: To answer Paulos question, I had around 15 enquiries from HR last year 3 of which i turned down due to size of party, the others did not materialise. I would say that most of the enquirers tried to get the price down.
Casamireya, I know nothing about the Spanish holiday property market either, but this is irrelevant because the laws of economics apply anywhere!

Looking at what you said in the above quote, I believe you have answered your own question concerning lack of bookings and the answer is... PRICE!

15 enquiries is good going. The fact that these people contacted you tells me that:
1. There is nothing wrong with the advert.
2. They liked your villa and the location.
3. They wanted to book a holiday with you.
4. They thought that you were too expensive.

If I cast my mind back, my old economics teacher, Mr Davies, told us that 10 units @ £5 each is a lot more profitable than 2 units @ £8 each, (there is a whole lot more about price elasticity of demand which I won't bore you with, you get my point).

No doubt there are things about your advert which can be improved. I would suggest that calling a villa in a built up area a hideaway is likely to be counter productive - those that are looking for a 'hideaway' will follow the headline and be disappointed, and those who don't want a 'hideaway' will not bother to follow the link.

I would advise you to set your rates lower than everyone else to start off with, and then raise them after your first year to the level of your competitors.

I would also suggest advertising with 3 or 4 companies for your first year, and then only renew with those that have brought in bookings.

Good luck, Martin.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think those last three points in the post above are very good advice.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I agree that you need to 'follow' the market when you start up, not lead it. If you get fully booked very early at certain times of the year it is a good indicator that you can put your prices up. Starting with high prices and having lots of availability close to popular periods of the year, is not a good indicator for people looking to book.
casamireya

Post by casamireya »

Thanks for taking the time to post additional advice, regarding Martins comment and another that had been made earlier regarding the use of the word Hideaway. I have removed that word, however had included it initially as It is defined as describing a place to retreat and (hideaway).

As Martin said that he thought using this word to describe a villa in a built up area was counterproductive, it occurred that I had obviously NOT made it clear that in fact the property was located within a 360 hectare tranquil, natural and protected estate having the lowest build density on the coast ( however admittedly it is within the Pueblo of this estate which is very exclusive and quiet rather than being a stand alone villa) so the word has gone and been replaced by retreat. however I may remove that and leave it blank as those not wanting to retreat............
No doubt there are things about your advert which can be improved. I would suggest that calling a villa in a built up area a hideaway is likely to be counter productive - those that are looking for a 'hideaway' will follow the headline and be disappointed, and those who don't want a 'hideaway' will not bother to follow the link.
I would advise you to set your rates lower than everyone else to start off with, and then raise them after your first year to the level of your competitors.
My rates were already lower than competitors but are now lower again.

Again Thankyou all for the comments - I have now added that the property sits within what has been voted " Best development in Spain" - In the international property awards - The Worlds most Prestigious Property Awards. Hope this may increase bookings.

However judging from some other posts on this site in Feb, I think some of us are finding it a little quiet - but anyway working all the time to improve.

Casamireya.[/quote]
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

I'm not having any luck either. I had 3 bookings last year, after a very late start, but nothing at all this year. We are planning to improve our photos very soon, and really not looking to do much because of planned building work, but say in our advert there is scope for some bargains, particularly later in the peak season.

Sorry to hijack the thread, and if people think I should start my own thread on this then shout me down, and I will.

Also, forgot to say I am in Italy, so maybe I should move my posting there.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I imagine the stuff about the building work could put people off, although I would have thought plenty would be interested in the deals.

I do think your photos are the problem - I don't mean to offend you but they make the place look quite bare and unloved and don't really make it look appealing. I was especially put off by the shiny bed covers, the lack of rugs and pictures and the man sitting beside what looks like a large brown box? Presumably you are investing a huge amount of money in the pool and you say will be raising your prices a lot. I really do think you need to give the interior a makeover - if you have already explained all this and I have forgotten, please do ignore my comments. I say all this, because I found the photos so offputting that I would not bother to enquire.

Have you thought of actually showing the much lower prices for this year?
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

We've already decided the shiny bedcovers have to go,and to put up some pictures. We already do have pictures on some of the walls, which were put up after these photos were taken.

New photos are our top priority, but thank you for confirming what we had already thought.
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

I am sorry but I have to agree with Margaret.

I am an interior decorator and the villa really does look very spartan. I'm glad you have put some more pictures up but think you could also do with some rugs and cushions and more accessories and cover those bed legs!.

If it makes you feel better, I am having some new photos done as well, I may be a decorator but I am a terrible photographer!! :D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's a really lovely apartment and the pics you've got on the walls look very nice. The extra dressing need not cost a lot. Cushions on the sofas (4 on each) - and do they need to be side by side BTW? Is there room to have them at right angles? Some rugs just to break up the floor area a little, plus livening up the beds somehow - again, with a cushion each or a contrasting colour throw folded longitudinally across the foot.

Inclined to leave photos of people out of interior shots too ..
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Foxy & GG, isn't this thread nearly a year old ?
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: :lol: Well spotted Party! No flies on this bird! The shiny bedcovers are still there, so that threw me off the scent. Oh well, perhaps the advice might still be welcomed ...

I also hadn't noticed that the thread was started by Casamireya!

I hope they're both happier this year with enquiries and bookings.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be