When your guests don't listen!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
cottageguru

When your guests don't listen!

Post by cottageguru »

We had a big snowstorm on Friday. We knew it was coming and informed the guests who were going into our cottage on Saturday that, depending on the depth of snow, the road may be impassable until the township got around to ploughing it out. We have a section explaining this on our rental agreement called 'Renting in Winter' which says at certain times the road may be closed or only accessible with a 4WD.

So, we emailed them on Wednesday with a warning of the impending storm, and again on Friday to say we'd had a foot of snow and the road was only accessible with a 4WD vehicle. The only response we had was a note to say they would be arriving around 2pm on Saturday afternoon.

At 4pm Saturday we get a phone call to say they are stuck on the first hill on the road up to the cottage and what should they do? Can they walk in? Since it's another 3km and three more hills to negotiate, and they have a baby and two dogs, plus all their luggage, we suggest perhaps not. We end up taking them + baby/dogs etc in the pick-up, leaving their minivan (no winter tyres) at the side of the road.

Their comment, "We didn't think it would be as bad as you said".

In our Terms and Conditions we offer money back for days when the road is impassable, or they can reschedule the booking for another low season period. Could we do any more? Does anyone else encounter this type of situation?
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Heather we do, as we're in a ski resort with a very high mountain pass at one end. However, perhaps skiers expect the worst, as only one or two guests have had a delay or diversion. One family didn't read my email and had a 12 hour detour as a result (it was also Feb half-term), the others just abandined the journey and stayed in a hotel until next morming. We always remind them about snowchains and winter tyres, and Mel our manager texts them on the day of arrival if the Col is closed.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi CG,

Oh no! What a silly and potentially dangerous situation your guests put themselves into. I sympathise with you - I think most of us have experienced the same I'm-talking-to-a-brick-wall vibes at some time or other! :roll:

Your concern is obvious - 2 warning emails, and plenty of advance notice. If only your guests had phoned on Saturday, before setting out. And why come in a minivan with no winter tyres when you clearly say the road is only accessible by 4WD? With a baby, as well.

Thank goodness you were at hand to pick them up - I hope they appreciated your efforts, at least.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Hi Heather,

How frustrating for you! I suspect that people sometimes think that you're exaggerating to make sure that you're covered in this eventuality. Lucky for them that you are close by, as it could be dangerous - especially with a baby :/

Perhaps you need to word your warnings a little more strongly....Would it perhaps help to keep a couple of sets of snow chains that you could lend people? Or at least tell them that they really do need them? Is there a local place where guests could buy them?

This is actually the main reason that we didn't buy further up the valley, as the road does close every so often, and sometimes it's due to avalanche risk so there's no possibility of getting to the higher villages. They always remain accessible via train (it's in a tunnel) but as we're not on site, we felt it was too big a problem for us.

How long is it generally inaccessible for?

BTW your blog looks very interesting! Do you have a link to the cottage? I'd love to see it :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Chains are illegal in Ontario - the majority of sensible road users have winter tyres and the roads are so well ploughed and sanded that they are unnecessary. Cottage roads tend to be gravelled and are either privately ploughed (funded by the residents), or cleared by the township like ours is. We have the only year round property on the road which is done last. So after a heavy snowfall it could be several days before they get to it.

Yes, they are fortunate we live close by. They'd had a five hour drive and to me it would be unimaginable to leave in those conditions without adequate preparation and appropriate equipment. It beggars belief sometimes how unprepared people are here for a winter that is so predictable.

Thanks for the comment on my blog firebug - my cottage is listed here: http://www.clrm.ca/cottages_haliburton_ ... ttage.html

CLRM is my company as well so we manage around 100 properties. Managing the winter rentals is a challenge!!
Heather

www.cottageblogger.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

WE have to carry chains by law in France during the winter, and use them if requested by gendarmes, we do have winter tyres (not studded ones though), and a 4x4 so rarely get asked to put them on. We still need to carry them though.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

We don't get the snow that you do in Canada or the French alps, but it means when it does snow, it can be chaotic (as only the Brits know how :roll: ).

We have had snow over the last few days accompanied by strong winds. We rang everyone who was coming to stay this weekend to warn them about the conditions and to advise which route to take (eg, not over Kirkstone Pass which would no doubt be closed anyway). Most listened; one B&B lot cancelled, saying they didn't want to take the risk, and all arrived safely.

We tend to have more road/access problems because of flooding. And unlike snow, most people think this won't affect them.

We put a warning in our directions about winter conditions on Kirkstone Pass and tell people to ring us before they set off if they want any more info .... but it comes down to the perenial problem of how to get people to read the info you send them. Maybe we need to include a photo of a 4x4 stranded in a snow drift!
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Christine - I love the idea of a photo, but think I might lurk around one of the hills and get a video of some idiot trying to get their little sedan up the ice covered surface. Then I'll add it as an attachment when I'm sending my warning mails.

I love winter here because we know we'll have five months of snow and all the activities that go with it, but it does have its challenges.
Heather

www.cottageblogger.com
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

I had to add to this as it is growing into a bit of a saga here.

The cottage road was ploughed out yesterday and we are forecast temps above freezing and rain today, hence the next snowstorm coming in tomorrow will freeze all that water and make the road even more treacherous. This is the first winter we've had such weird weather so haven't experienced this yoyo effect before.

Anyway, we had a call from the township yesterday to say the renters had moved their van up to the cottage despite being warned by the township rep that they would be unlikely to get out again without 4WD, once the road ices up again.

Since they told the rep 'We'll just risk it', my feelings are that if they get stuck trying to get out, that is their issue and they can source a tow without our help. The only thing is, if they can't get out they'll be in the cottage using the heating/creating more cost, for free.

It's a bit of a dilemma. Any thoughts?
Heather

www.cottageblogger.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Charge them for the return tow.
Wol

Post by Wol »

I think some of the problem is that people think the warnings about road conditions are exagerated or aimed at the lowest common denominator. It never occurs to them that they might be that LCD either. People like that always assume that someone will rescue them if they get into trouble and are so focused on what they want to be doing they can't envisage rearranging their life even for one minute. I've seen it often enough in central Australia - people don't believe how much water and fuel they need to take to be safe, or that the roads can be bad enough to literally shake your vehicle to pieces.
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/