Deducting from the Security Deposit

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
J&J

Post by J&J »

So sorry for you, Beanie. The extra cleaning is one thing, but not reporting the damage done is something else.
Over the Christmas period I scorched a cream marble fireplace with a candle in someone's rental property, (I am normally so very, very careful, but the bottom cracked in the jar.) Straightaway we went round all the fireplace shops for advice and ended up getting a quote to repair the hearth from a stonemason but couldn't proceed as it was New Year. We sent a letter explaining the problem, along with a cheque for the amount to the owners, who have been very understanding and whose first comment was "many people would have left without saying anything."
We were mindful of the fact that repairs are not just expensive, but cause hassle and upset to the owner which is what you are experiencing. Why can't people ever put themselves in the owner's shoes and show respect?

Judith
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

fibi wrote:TP - photos with date stamps don't work- you can set digital cameras to whatever date you want(as I was told by my recent guests from hell!).
well how about including a newspaper in the shot?

We take £200 deposit as our insurance excess is £150
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

J&J sometimes in Brit wrote:Why can't people ever put themselves in the owner's shoes and show respect?
You'll be remembered with gratitude for this J&J - that owner is probably like the rest of us, and taken aback when anyone owns up to causing damage, it's so rare!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Hello All,

Firstly, thanks so much for the lovely comments made about the chalet and website. I think that everyone has stunning properties on this site that I could quite happily spend the rest of my days working my way around all of them (hey, now there's a fun challenge :D ).

Fibi - not that's it's any of my business, but I do think you should perhaps consider taking a security/damage deposit for your holiday homes. I know what you mean about the risk-factor, but anyone who is reluctant to pay a reasonable damage deposit is surely a dubious creature ? (take poor Helen B's example on another thread). I'm sure people wouldn't balk at the idea at all. I do think it (usually) helps focus the mind.

I felt quite pathetic posting about my minor happenings when I recall the debacle you had to tolerate over Hottub-gate (which way did you go with the new dressing gown by the way ? :lol: )

Strangely, I've still not heard a peep from the grubby guests since my email sent last night. I'm wondering if it was a work email and perhaps he's taken the Monday off. We shall see tomorrow. In the meantime, the guests who came in on Saturday have gone out and bought more toboggans sooner than my caretaker could replace them so we'll reimburse them (Martha - I think that reinforces the theory that our Alpine visitors like a toboggan or two ...)

Judith - you sound like the ideal guest and I'm sure your hosts were thrilled that you took such initiative. We had a guest once who reported that they'd broken the antique bed (we didn't like to enquire as to how although they insisted they'd just sat down on it to change socks !). Fortunately they run a boatyard in Pembrokeshire so he was very handy with a piece of wood. He trotted down to the caretaker's chalet, asked to borrow his tools and did a very good repair job ! They told us about it straight away, were very apologetic and have gone on to be lovely repeat guests each year since.

I shall let you know if / when we hear back from the grubby guests.

It would be interesting to conduct a poll on what the percentage split is on those who require a damage/security deposit and those who don't.

If anyone has a clue on how to do one of those clever polls-thigmies I would be fascinated to see that stats.

Beanie
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Beanie, poll done.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

...where, Helen? An old thread?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Ros! :)