Outlook problem

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
helen

Outlook problem

Post by helen »

Can anyone help with a problem I am having with OUtlook.
When I type into an email using an apostrophe in the text, it shows as an apostrophe, but when I send the email it shows to the recipient as a little square, and if they reply to the email and it comes back to me again, it also shows as a little square!!
Any suggestions!!

Helen :?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

usually those symbols are a substitutions if a character isn't availabe in the chosen font, are you using a run of the mill font such as Ariel, Times etc?
helen

Post by helen »

Hi Soodyer
Nope it doesnt matter what font I type it in - tried a number of different ones inc TImes , arial etc.!!
Helen
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Does it depend on who you send it to?

I went into my preferences and specified that I wanted to send and receive only plain text e-mails. That fixed a similar problem I had. It also means I'm less susceptible to certain e-mail spam tricks!

Cheers!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Helen,

I do get this, and no I don't have a solution. I don't use Outlook but it happens when I paste a Word document into both Eudora and Hotmail.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
helen

Post by helen »

Brilliant! Sorted!
Vrooje-much appreciated - it was the 'Plain text' thing!
How come these flippin' programmes just change their settings without any instruction?!
Many thanks
Helen
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Helen,

Trouble is I think that "plain text" is the ugliest and clumsiest format. For example look how messages and replies are displayed. I use HTML style in Outlook and don't have the substitution of characters problem.

Brooke,

What "certain e-mail spam tricks" do you have in mind? Clearly I should keep an eye out for them.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I never use Outlook for that and many other reasons -- I like to customize everything and you can only do so much!

I think that problem has to do with the "smart" quotation marks that various fonts insert -- they're angled left or right depending on where in the word they fall. But not all programs can display it. At least, I think it's something like that.

Cheers -- glad I could help!
Brooke