What do you serve for Breakfast?

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Our Continental Breakfast is left in our Guest Room fridges the night before so we do not see how much is actually eaten then or at Breakfast - know some definitely have the Croissants, Ham and Cheese instead of an Evening Meal!

We tell people that all food will be removed from their room fridges when I do the rooms each morning. Very rarely find any leftovers and am sure some is taken for lunchtime picnics.

The ones that annoy me somewhat are the ones who blatantly sit on the terrace eating Breakfast food at lunchtime with a bottle of wine they haven't purchased from us - each room has an Honesty Bar and our decent House Wine is little dearer than in the shops - then leave the pots on the table for us to wash!
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

The French just love to picnic, and will think nothing of going to the shops and buying food to eat around the pool of a lunch time, but I have never had a problem with the rubbish, we also offer the use of the BBQ and offers plates etc and all wash them up and clean the BBQ no problems so far on that score.

When I first started I had an honesty bar but then found out that it was against the law, as in France we need a licence to serve any kind of drink even water with your breakfast. Mine only allows me to serve wine with the meal but I can not charge extra for that
Nessie
The Moles Mother

Post by The Moles Mother »

Ours is continental-style buffet with fruit juices, cereals, yoghurt, croissants, bread, fresh fruit and tea/coffee. We also have what we have christened the "knit your own museli kit" with oats, a selection of dried fruits and seeds to pick n' mix. We make our own jam, which goes down a treat for the guests. If there are kids in we provide kiddy cereals and hot chocolate (if requested).

Some guests do forage a bit for their lunch (mostly the bread, fruit and the yoghurts) but we don't mind too much.

We have very few guests who bring their own food in the evenings. Most of them go out to restaurants if not eating with us.

MM
A vegetarian oasis in the heart of Boeuf Bourguignonne country
http://www.lesbattees.com/
Cassis

Re: What do you serve for breakfast

Post by Cassis »

pepsipuss wrote:We do much as everyone else who has posted but we find the question of cooked breakfast a tricky one. We do offer it and it is sometimes taken up (usually just the man/men). We do not charge extra for it although I feel perhaps we should as it is costly and (perhaps more to the point) involves getting up at least half an hour earlier, perhaps just for one person.

I feel uncomfortable charging for it, but would prefer to do so rather than increase prices for everyone. Anyone got any thoughts on whether and how much?
If you're going to do cooked breakfast as an option, why not charge extra for it? Like you say, it's more work for you. It's a business.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I think B&B in Spain must be very different to France. Cava for breakfast?

We insist nobody leaves the table before they drink their litre of calvados. Including the kids.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Cassis wrote:

We insist nobody leaves the table before they drink their litre of calvados. Including the kids.
Book me a room :lol:
Nessie
brenda

Post by brenda »

Yes - Cava for Breakfast goes down very well with our Guests. If they don't want it at Breakfast time they can have it later in the day but most do have it - often as a Bucks Fizz if going out for the day - with Breakfast.

We also give a complimentary Bottle of Cava to anyone staying for 3 nights or more, and a Bottle of Cava plus Box of Chocolates to anyone celebrating a special occasion during their stay.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Meant to add the Cava is served at Breakfasttime in many Spanish Hotels too so we are not totally weird in providing this.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Wow! Is it just the Brits and north Europeans who like cava for breakfast? Or is it a common Spanish thing?

Occasionally you come across a bloke with a big red nose in a bar having a cognac with his coffee. But anyone who has booze with their breakfast coffee is an oddity and generally regarded as, well, a p***-head. On very special occasions like fêtes and comices then tripes and muscadet may be served for breakfast (ugh!!!!) but it's not a regular thing.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Wow! Is it just the Brits and north Europeans who like cava for breakfast?
When I worked in northern France in the 90's, all the locals on their way to work used to have pastis with their bread or croissants at about 6.30 in the morning. Wow! Mind you, a lot of them had big red noses!

Jim
brenda

Post by brenda »

Our Spanish friends - and us too - only have Cava for Breakfast on Special Occasions such as Birthdays and Wedding Anniversaries.

Visitors from all over the World seem to enjoy it when on holiday though - probably because it is a novelty. We serve it to make our Guests stay here seem a little bit more special - and comments left in our Visitors Books show that it really is appreciated.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The Menorcans have gin for breakfast
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

People have beer for breakfast on the morning ferries to France.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004