Forum software

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
sazzleevans

Forum software

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

I have started a forum to try and increase my apartment bookings eyeonislacanela.com and its already crashed. Its been up and running for two weeks today. My web man is on to it but I have a funny feeling its because I havent purchase the software?

You can download the software and use it for free but you have adverts on it...but then you have the option to buy the licence and these are removed.

In 2 weeks I have had over 200 posting which is fantastic but not if the system keeps crashing. Like this forum all the messages are valuable source of information which helps other uisers of the forum.

Do you think I am right that it might be a tactic by toastforums.com or am I thinking too much?

I have looked at Paolos software with PHBB which looks very good. Do you think even if the system does come back on line that I should change just in case this problem happens again.

I have no technical insight and am waiting for my web man to come back to me but I thought someone might have a view about this that could help?

Sarah :cry:
charles

Post by charles »

Personally I prefer simplemachines.org/ as a forum. Piece of cake to install/use etc. and it is free.

example running here: ecusb.net

Cheers
charles

ps. your boards appear to be back up!

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi Charles

Thanks for the info. The board looks ok but when you click on a topic heading the error message appears. Do you think the company that supplied the software which cause this error on purpose?

Sarah
charles

Post by charles »

Hi,

I doubt it very much - it just looks like a breakdown between the board software and the database which holds all the info.

If it was me I would backup the database (there must be an online tool on the server) + re-install the board server to a different database file and then import the old stuff into the new database file.

I'm not familiar with Windows servers but looking on toast's own forum there are some hints as to what could be happening here:

toastforums.com/toast.asp?action=posts&sub=search&fid=-1&author=&subject=-2147467259&message=&dayprune=-1&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

hth
Charles

Post by jacmgr »

Sarah,

I agree with charles, but before you do that have your web guy check this (from the toast support forums):
This may means that your database needs full write permissions. You may need to contact your host and ask them to set your data.mdb file to have full write permissions. You should also give config.asp write permissions while you are at it.
Sometimes during the system failure and restore often the permissions of files get screwed up and need to be manually reset. If that doesn't work then do what Charles said with re-install.

I wouldn't give up on the toast forums yet. You have spent some time getting to know how to administer them, and the problem you are having could happen with ANY forum system. This may just be part of your learning curve to becoming the greatest islaclena web resource!

John
John and Hyonmi Del Ferro
http://www.vacationrentalworkshop.com
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

Yes, hes managed to get it back up and running. Thanks for your advise.

As you can tell I have am a bit uneasy with some web software. But your right it works now. Thanks!!

Sarah