a question about en suites

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
catherinedonegal

a question about en suites

Post by catherinedonegal »

hi all.

ok. still planning here but i need some input from all you in the know.

the old house we are renovating is a 2 storey house in ireland.

downstairs we will have one double bedded room en suite.

upstairs at present there is:

a bathroom

- bedroom 1 - double bedroom
- bedroom 2 - double bedroom
- bedroom 3 - long narrow room with a single at each end
- bedroom 4 - double bedroom
- bedroom 5 - small bedroom for single bed.

initially we were making the small bedroom (bedroom 5) into an en suite for bedroom 4.

that would leave us with - IDEA 1:

bathroom
2 double bedrooms
2 double bedrooms en suite
one twin room

now i am thinking that perhaps the long narrow (twin) room could serve, if divided, into an en suite for bedroom 2 and bedroom 4.

that then would leave (IDEA 2):

bathroom
one single room
one double room
three double rooms en suite

it cuts out one bed (unless i used bunks in the single room which i'm not sure i want to).

so, (and sorry for being so long winded), is IDEA 1 or IDEA 2 the best for letting? ie is the extra en suite created better than the extra bed?
Ju

Post by Ju »

I would go for Idea 2 - but make the double room which isn't en-suite into a twin room. So that would give you three doubles (all en-suite) a twin room a single room and a bathroom. This would be a better choice to allow for families.

Ju
catherinedonegal

thanks ju. yes, i am leaning more toward the extra en suite and i like your idea about twin beds in the other room. :)
catherinedonegal

update on this:

renovations are now complete and we have upstairs 2 double bedded rooms and two twin bedded rooms. 2 of the rooms en suite and a separate bathroom.

ground floor we have a double room with en suite.

i hope that works out good for the holiday market but it's done now so fingers crossed.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Sounds perfect Catherine. I think that having one twin room without ensuite was the best choice (having only just found this thread) since kids can go there - they're less likely to be fussed about an ensuite! Then to have twins in an ensuite double room also gives greater flexibility for couples or friends who prefer their own beds. And of course could still be used for kids.

But I'm a little lost. Have you done something different from Plan 2 as I can't figure out how you've got room to sleep 8 upstairs still?

PM me if you think it's best, but anyway, congrats and post some pics here when you can!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
catherinedonegal

hi gg

what happened upstairs was that the builder (well his forman) decided that we had a lot of wasted hall space on the landing and took some of that to make the single bedroom into a twin.

it was a brilliant idea and although it makes the landing space smaller, it made a double where before there was only a single. landing space would be good if it were our home but for a holiday house, it was certainly the better option. the landing is still spacious and airy btw.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hats off then to your builder then Catherine! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mamacats

Post by Mamacats »

Congrats!

I looked over your website, quite interesting and will enjoy following the progress.
Best Regards,
Diane
Sincerely, Mamacats
Thimble collector and Ragdoll breeder
catherinedonegal

as it turns out after the work is done we will end up with:

3 double beds en suite
2 twins
and one bathroom

hopefully that will be for the best.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

It's looking good Catherine, I'd certainly rent your house. I love the colour the exterior is painted, and I think if I'd have been looking at a bright yellow pot of paint I may have lost my nerve, but it's so soft and warm and will glow nicely even on drizzly days.

From the description the kitchen sounds wonderful, and pics of the bedrooms would be great too to see the touch you (with the help of the dream builder) have. I am so excited for you as we are now going through a similar process (athough less changes as we will have to make it all look good with minimal structural work)

Our bed/bathroom arrangement is not quite perfect. A bathroom with separate shower and toilet downstairs next to the kitchen. Downstairs double with en suite shower (not wet room) at the other end of the house. Upstairs double with en suite bath room and no separate shower. Then a children's room sleeping 4 and a huge family double room (with two extra beds) sharing a shower room.

Trying to work out what's the best for holiday rental layout is hard, I hope we come up with some good ideas like you did!

...and congratulations on the first booking.....
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
catherinedonegal

thanks blue shutters. have to say, i was really worried about the colour but am now glad i chose it. it does look sunny even on wet day.

you sound like you have plenty of washroom facilities so all should be well. have you all your renovations done now?

we've really just to put in new stairs in the attached building for access to the games room, and possibly dry line the walls there - although i'd love to leave them as they are just stone wall but that may be too cold. we'll see.

i didn't think to add pics of the bedrooms yet as they are fairly samey - same paint colour, similar sizes etc. but i will be updating soon because the furniture is due within the next 2 weeks and the bedding then too so i will have to do the whole pic of nice bedroom thing. :D still wondering about window coverings though. :roll:
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

catherinedonegal wrote:
you sound like you have plenty of washroom facilities so all should be well. have you all your renovations done now?
LOL, not started yet.........well only from a distanc!
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
catherinedonegal

well let's just hope you don't take as long as us - i think we bought the house about 4 or 5 years ago i think and we are only going to rent this year!!!