Bikes for kids?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mountain Goat

Bikes for kids?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Against most (sensible) LMH advice we've had a couple of adults' bikes available for guests for a couple of seasons - insured, serviced, legal etc. and they've been a success, and certainly a clincher with a number of bookings.

That's great. But this year several potential and repeating punters have asked about kids' bikes.

I know nothing about bikes for kids, but assume that would really be a non-starter? There's no such thing as an adjustable bike to cover a range of ages?

Thanks.

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We bought bikes for adults and kids late last summer and agree that they are a huge attraction. We just bought a selection of sizes. It is impossible to cater for all combinations and number of sizes so we are just hoping for the best. With 28 beds (possibly soon to go to 32), I suspect that we can't win. The only thing we got which has not been used so far is the buggy for small children to attach to the back of an adult's bikes, but we have several bookings this year which include young babies, so we shall see....
la vache!

Re: Bikes for kids?

Post by la vache! »

Mountain Goat wrote:
I know nothing about bikes for kids, but assume that would really be a non-starter? There's no such thing as an adjustable bike to cover a range of ages?MG[/color]
I have some bikes for children, the age tends to be 3 - 5, 5 - 10, 10 - 14 and after that they probably use adult bikes. I find that most people bring their young kid's bikes with them as they don't take up much room, it is my adult bikes and those for 10 - 14 years which get most use. I also have a back seat for a baby on two adult bikes.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mountain Goat wrote:Against most (sensible) LMH advice we've had a couple of adults' bikes available for guests for a couple of seasons - insured, serviced, legal etc. and they've been a success, and certainly a clincher with a number of bookings.
Presumably MG, the advice was against your supplying bikes because you're not on site to maintain them. So how have you been dealing with this? I think it would be nice to offer some, but am in the same bateau as you!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'm thinking of getting one or two one speed sit-up-and-beg type bikes with a basket on the front for people to go to the shops on - it would be really nice to have.

It needs to be something that's *impossible* to take off road though. I am really worried that people will try and ride them on the trails as they will break both the bike and themselves if they try.

I'm not convinced the risk is worth it at present, I just know that people won't listen, and think it's a cheap way to have a go at mountain biking, or at least decide that it will do to fine for a spin round the valley floor trails. Maybe if I bolt two massive baskets onto it...and then solder the bolts so they can't be removed?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hmmm yes Martha - it would be mountain bikes we'd have to supply since we're tucked away in the hills - no sit-up-and-beg bikes would get them to the bakers from there!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I don't think I would have bikes if I wasn't on site. We just put safes in the apartments and they can't manage those, so goodness knows how quickly the bikes would all be supposedly or actually damaged!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Gascony Goat wrote: Presumably MG, the advice was against your supplying bikes because you're not on site to maintain them. So how have you been dealing with this? I think it would be nice to offer some, but am in the same bateau as you!
We supply four adult bikes - They're not mentioned anywhere on my website, I leave them as an arrival surprise - along with the silver foil and a plentiful supply of loo rolls 8) . That way, if one of the bikes is unavailable or not in working order, I still get smiley faces rather than frowns. Never happened yet, fingers crossed.

If I know someone is planning to come over with bikes, I obviously let them know we have 4 adult ones available. But I make sure I point out this is a free extra, not a contractual service (in case one has been pedalled into the ground, left to rust on the beach or just plain stolen).

I also make sure guests know, on arrival, that bikes are not rigorously checked every Saturday (simply can't do it), that they are not supplied with lights (well, I used to, in more zealous days: dynamos....groan...broken every Sat :roll: ) and that if a repair is needed, the bike shop will be happy to oblige for a small fee. In return for free use, I feel I can ask my guests to take care of minor repairs (punctures, that kind of thing) for me.

Most French rental home owners think I am mad to provide this service. They are probably right.

I would only ever do adult bikes - children's bikes would be too complicated (for us). They are cheap to hire, along with all the child/baby accessories for adult bikes.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Following the train of thought on this thread, we must be completely mad!

We supply:
“Two adult mountain bikes, a child's mountain bike (7-12 yrs), a child's cycle (5yrs/14"), a trail-a-bike (4-9 yrs, attaches to an adult bike and has one wheel and pedals) and child seat (from 6 months/max. 22 Kg) are available for your use, and are stored in the stone outbuilding in the garden.
Alternatively, there is a bike shop in Josselin that hires bikes. A marked cycle trail passes through our own hamlet, and there are a variety of gravel tracks, quiet country lanes or canal cycle path to choose from. We have a good selection of cycle & walking guide books in the cottage."

We supply everything needed for the bike: lights, bike locks, pump, puncture repair kit, maps, route guide cards etc.

We are in the UK, so are not on site to undertake repairs etc, but tend to find that cycling types are not opposed to getting the adjustable spanner out when needed.

I do point out to guests that these are our personal bikes, and they can use them at their own risk free of charge. I think it would be a different matter if we wanted to charge for them.

We have not had any problems in the last two years, but have had many thankful guests who have derived great pleasure from borrowing our bikes. The way I see it, folks are on holiday, they want to enjoy themselves, and cycling is great fun.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Agreed LvT - unless you can't ride a bike!

We don't supply bikes, but point guests to hirers if they ask; one group (and possibly marriage!) literally tore themselves apart because the men wanted to go off on bikes, and some others couldn't ride bikes, and felt neglected.

Not our problem, but a bit of acrimony didn't sit well, and it got a bit hairy at one stage!

Mols :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I find that serious cyclists bring their own bikes, parents often bring their young children's bikes too, ours are just used for short outings, generally for a couple of hours max. A nice to have, not something I'd ever charge for. To be honest, for the number of weeks that school age children can go on holiday, is it really worth providing bikes for them?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I guess that being in Brittany, people are more likely to be driving across to you and are thus better placed to 'BYOB'; I suspect a higher proportion of our guests fly ... we do point them of course to the local cycle hire shop but it's still a bit of a hassle - how, for example, do they get them from the shop to our property if using a hire car? How many would request a cycle rack and do car hire companies provide them? If they do, I assume at a small charge.
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

We supply 2 adult and 2 kids bikes + helmets. Helmet use for kids is the law here so we have to add into the cottage guide that it is the parents responsibility to ensure they fit correctly etc...etc..
We are on the water and supply a pedal boat and a couple of kayaks so have to do the same with life jackets.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

You often won't know how important an item is to a potential guest until you supply it.

As if to prove the point - my wife had a phone call today from a lady who said our property had been shortlisted for their summer holidays by their net-savvy son because... we supply bikes. They needed three bikes, two adult and 1 teenager.

Unfortunately, we are already fully booked for the school holidays! So the lady is now going through the remainder of the shortlisted properties with bikes to find one that is available.

The cost of the bikes averaged over three years is now 30 Euros per bike. Next year it will be 22 Euros.
My advice to those considering buying bikes for guests would be to do it. For some people it is a deal maker/breaker.