There is no bacon in Turkey

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Hanorah

There is no bacon in Turkey

Post by Hanorah »

Last year we had a guest in our Villa who went in May. As the local buses run at different times in the season we said to ask at the shop at the end of our road as the women would let her know the times.

Now the name for bus is Dolmus and she dutifully went and asked. When she came back she said that the women was not very helpful and said there were no buses.

I have met the woman and she is very nice and helpful so I could not understand it. Any way the guest has booked for this year and we spoke about it again. During the conversation she said I asked if there were any Domuses and she looked a bit disturbed and said no Domus no Domus.

At this point I understood the problem. Domuz in Turkish is pig and we all know that pigs are not exactly popular in Turkey. The poor woman in the shop must have thought she had an English customer demanding pig meat to eat.

It obviously did not put her off as she has booked again but I thought it was quite a funny story and she had a giggle. I will be sure to give all future guests a lesson in the pronunciation.
Always Learning
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Oh, I love these stories.

They are just the sort of thing that endears you to your clients! "The person I'm renting from is experienced at this and has given me tips to get by with." Wonderful!

(And of course, it's funny too.) :)
Brooke