welcome packs

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

we also have a note in our info. pack we send out to "bring your own tea bags"!! becasue, alhthough we sometimes leave Irish Lyons or Barrys left over from when we are there, you can only get the Lipton-type (or herbal) at the shop in our Italian town. (we can get both Irish and English tea here in the US...but could not put it in a rental becasue of the VERY high cost) my husband can stomach Twinings Irish Breakfast or Twinings English Breakfast or their Eral Grey or Lady Grey in a pinch...if he adds a lot of bags...and it is easy to find in the US (not in Italy though!)
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Musetta

You can find Earl Grey in every supermarket here in Umbria. For those who find it expensive, which it certainly is in the supermarkets, why not buy directly from Twinnings and have it posted?

Chianti
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

How expensive are we talking here?

I don't think I even looked at the price last time I was in the Intermarche; I just bought several varieties of Twinings and Tetley and some herbals and went on my way. I figured that even if a box is expensive, it can't work out to that much per bag.

But actually, this leads me to a question I've been meaning to ask: what tea should I have at the house? I don't mind Earl Grey in a pinch, but otherwise I generally prefer herbal teas. Hubby (from Canada) drinks Tetley's "standard" tea -- whatever flavor that is, I've always thought it was Orange Pekoe. For a UK guest, I really have no idea if the house is well-stocked with tea or has everything but proper tea!
Brooke
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Our experience is that most British visitors prefer English 'Builders' tea but that some are Earl Grey fans. In self-catering I don't think they expect to find anything other than a typical regular tea (unless it is a VERY upmarket place) - if they like speciality teas they will bring their own.

In B&B it is nice to offer a selection of herbal etc but in practice they are not used much and we found we were wasting quite a lot of money on them as they quickly go stale once the box is opened and we don't use them ourselves. If someone were to do a mixed box of herbal and fruit that would be a big help and I might start doing it again.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

J & Titch wrote:Susan If it's the Tetley breakfast tea in the blue box it's disgusting!
I use it at the house in France and find it fine! With real milk of course! I really think you have nothing to worry about by offering that, particularly as the choice in French supermarkets of a regular English tea is limited and not everyone likes Earl Grey - me for instance! Let me know what you think LV!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I will try tomorrow and let you know, Jane. I like Earl Grey, but I think most of my guests are more the traditional English tea type of guest, so I either buy the Tetleys cheap stuff or buy PG Tips and forget the wine and cold beer I usually leave. I have to think of the bottom line this year.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

La Vache wrote:I like Earl Grey, but I think most of my guests are more the traditional English tea type of guest
I'm intrigued LV: Would it be very naughty of me to ask you to explain what you mean in a little more detail? I have to admit, I haven't given tea bags much thought, and having been put straight on shortcomings of Ultra Horrible Tasting milk, any guidance you can provide on tea bags, a subject which is looking trickier by the posting, would be greatly appreciated.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: I agree - it's making me nervous too RR! And you can only supply your guests from the limited choice available at your local supermarket. If they're used to Waitrose's Ceylon, they're not gong to get it in rural France!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

well I provide Earl Grey because I like it! Other than that it's PG Tips
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

What I mean is that generally, the teapot gets used more than the cafetière by UK guests. Most of them are habitual France holidaymakers, so bring their own tea as they know they won't get it over here (easily or cheaply). I don't think I get many tisane (fruit/herbal tea) afficianados here. I know that when I used to holiday in France, I happily made do with a cup of Liptons (made with 3 teabags) and a madeline as opposed to a cup of PG tips and a digestive. It's all part of the holiday experience. Now living here, of course, it's a different matter - I wouldn't give up my PG Tips for anything.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

La Vache

You and others seem to prefer PG Tips to Typhoo. Why is PG Tips better?

Chianti
A-two

Post by A-two »

I include Liptons and Earl Grey. I stopped providing herbal teas because they were not popular, except green tea. American tea bags are made to brew in warm water, English tea bags are made to brew in boiling water. That's why you can put a mug of US made Twinings tea next to a mug of UK made Twinings tea and they aren't at all the same tea, even though the box says they are the same, they are not. Which is also why I have proper English Twinings teabags shipped from the UK at twice the price, but only for little old me. Same with HP sauce. That and English chocolate are my indulgencies here and I'm sorry, but they don't get it in the rentals, because I honestly don't think most would appreciate it.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

A2

I had no idea there was a difference in brewing temperatures. I'm afraid I would rather go without than drink Liptons. Do you not buy your Twinnings directly from them?

It must cost the earth to have HP Sauce sent out unless someone brings it for you, but can see why you miss it.

I miss maple syrup. I would be a very happy bunny if I had a constant supply.

Did you know that Kraft is now selling Oreos in the UK?

Chianti
olive

Post by olive »

Chianti, What do you do with maple syrup? I'm accumulating buckets of the stuff, left by Canadians who obviously didn't need it in France.
elena

Post by elena »

I love it drizzed over ice cream or pancakes or in natural Greek yogurt.... the list is endless!!!
I find it here, usually in Carrefour but in other supermarkets too.

Elena
www.lescrouquets.net