Milk Survey

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.

UHT Milk: like or lump?

I use UHT if desperate
47%
I use UHT in preference to fresh milk
19%
I can't taste the difference, so buy either
14%
I'd rather have black tea/coffee than UHT if I had to!
19%

Total votes: 36

Giddy Goat

Milk Survey

Post by Giddy Goat »

In response to the comments about Ultra Horrible Taste milk and the real McCoy, I thought a poll would be fun. I was mildly surprised that some of you can't notice the difference, but perhaps it varies according to the manufacturer a little.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

GG

Fun idea, but I had to click: Can't taste the difference I buy either. I can taste the difference but don't care.

One can't buy pint size cartons of fresh milk here and it's no joke when it goes off after a day or 2, so I've gone native and buy UHT.

Chianti
enid

Post by enid »

Well I voted 'can't taste the difference' which isn't exactly true - but I have got used to long life milk since living here and I like the fact that I can stock up and then forget about milk - I treat it as a store cupbaord item now. I really don't mind the taste. In fact when guests leave fresh milk and we finish it off that's the only time I reflect on the milk question at all.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I will happily cook with UHT milk (bechemal sauces etc). I put it in coffee if desperate, but I never put it in tea.

If you use UHT on heavily sugared cereal (cheerios etc) then you can't really taste the difference, but if you put it on cornflakes or drink it it is discusting.

I drink quite alot of milk, and this was one of the things I was concered about being able to get. Fortunately the local supermarket stocks it (but not the local shop in the village unfortunately).

We always leave fresh for the guests.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Same as Enid. I was very snotty about UHT when we first arrived but I've learned to live with it. Certainly more convenient. Can be quite hard to get fresh milk here in the winter, many shops only stock it in the summer when the visitors are about.

Jim
pete

Post by pete »

we use uht now all the time - we dont eat cereals - you get used to the taste

pete
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Jimbo wrote: Can be quite hard to get fresh milk here in the winter, many shops only stock it in the summer when the visitors are about.
I've found fresh milk more readily available in France than a few years ago, but it's definitely still in somewhat short supply and clearly, the French do favour UHT as the supermarkets have acres of the stuff!

Is it a cost thing to an extent? I haven't compared prices ...
Ju

Post by Ju »

No difference in price - in fact often the fresh is slightly cheaper.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Stone the crows!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

What's all this about rather having black tea/coffee than with UHT if I had to, GG?

I have xxxx cups of black coffee per day, and the thought of adulterating it with milk - even glorious UHT - simply doesn't bear thinking about 8) :roll:

Fresh milk? Coffee with milk? What quaint habits you have on your island... :wink:
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

i take it the uht 'milk' is the stuff in pods used in hotel rooms in ireland and the uk? if so, i'd rather do without than drink it. i always buy a small container of real milk when staying in an hotel so that i can have coffee in the room if i want.
J&J

Post by J&J »

Boots the chemist at Stansted airport - after check in - sell fresh milk in pint bottles. I always pick up 2 or 3 bottles which survive the journey fine and get popped straight in the fridge for the week.
Judith
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I do buy fresh milk when we are in France, but also leave some UHT in the cupboard, as we often arrive late. I can take it in coffee, but hubby can't stand it in tea. Hot chocolate and cappucino are fine though I assume cos the milk is heated .
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The kids have mainly fresh milk, which is readily available here. I only drink milk in tea, so get the UHT skimmed, which tastes fine. I don't drink much coffee, but when I do it is usually filter coffee rather than instant and I agree with RR, I could never, ever add any sort of milk to it. Buerk!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Hey now, it's when in Rome...........

I'm one of those who believes in the above. UHT is cheaper than fresh milk here and easier to find, so I follow the Romans.

Who mentioned instant coffee, the shame of it :!:

I love marmite and peanut butter, but my life isn't going to change if I don't have them. I've come to a country noted for its wonderful fresh ingredients, so that's what I enjoy, oh and Pepsipuss, tiramisu without salt.

Chianti