HELP!! Need to choose new pool colour urgently!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
pepsipuss

HELP!! Need to choose new pool colour urgently!

Post by pepsipuss »

We have 48 hours max to choose tile colour for new pool. Out in country, don't want blue. Green looks murky :( . Love the turquoise effect you get with sand coloured Pebbletec but unfortunately too late to go for Pebbletec.
Have been searching web, asking builders and architects etc for days for info and/or pix of sand coloured tiled pool to no avail.
Has anyone ever seen a pool tiled in a sandy mix? What did it look like? Even better, do you know where I can see a picture of one? :?: :?:
Eternally grateful for any input. :D :D
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Ju

Post by Ju »

Why don't you want blue??

It is by far the best colour for a pool and the only colour that looks any good in photos.

There are lots of difference shades of blue, right through to the turquoisy kind of blue, but it has to be blue.

Our architect tried to convince us that we should go for a sandy colour, because blue was common, but blue is what people expect on holiday. I am so glad we didn't listen to him.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Hi Ju

Thanks for your input and prompt response and know what you are saying but honestly, in our environment it just isn't right. The people who have just built a house next to ours have gone for blue and it just looks odd. We are talking about our own house, not a rental, and we expect to be here for some years so we want it to be right for US as a priority not for visitors.

There is a turquoisy blue on offer but it is too in-your-face for my liking, I would like something more subtle, and that is the effect you get with Pebbletec sand. In our current house we had a turquoisy Pebbletec and it is gorgeous and I am really beginning to regret that we have not gone that route again although there are cleaning issues with Pebbletec that they don't tell you about when they sell it to you!

I fear though that I am going to end up with blue anyway because I don't have the confidence to go with the sand without actually seeing a tiled one as opposed to Pebbletec.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

PP, our pool has a pale beige liner, verging on sand colour. The visual result will be the same with tiles of course. It stands at the top of a field, with lovely countryside views surrounding it so the end result is sympathetic, and the pool still looks very inviting! Have a look at our home page, enlarge the image and see what you think! :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Giddy Goat wrote:PP, our pool has a pale beige liner, verging on sand. It stands at the top of a field, with lovely countryside views surrounding it so the end result is sympathetic, and the pool still looks very inviting! Have a look at our home page, enlarge the image and see what you think! :)
I like it and the water still looks blue. I bet it doesn't show up the sun protection stain marks as much as a blue liner, either.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Hi GG

Thanks so much.
Just visited site - what a super place! :D I think we are getting somewhere now... The pool colour looks very promising. Is it a solid colour liner or one which imitates tile?

You don't happen to have any pix about your person which show more of it do you? The OH is not proving easy to convince! :?

Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks PP! It's a solid colour: PM me your email address and I'll see what I can dig out!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I've always been partial to darker-colored pools. When I was growing up, our neighbor had a black-bottomed pool and I loved the look of it; very exotic. My parents put a pool in at the next house we moved to, and it was finished with a blue-gray color, sort of halfway between turquoise and black. It looks very natural, and unless we want to go swimming in December, it never needs to be heated!

Example: (this isn't our pool but the gunite color looks almost exactly the same)

I know you've said you want a lighter color, presumably to get that Caribbean water look... just tossing out a vote for the other side of the color palette. :)
Brooke
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Thanks for that, Brooke.
I love the look of the darker pools but heat is an issue: even our normal pool can get like swimming in soup from Mid-July in the sort of tempertures we get here! We have friends who have gone that route and lived to regret it.
Pic you posted looks very inviting.

tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Just up my street, T-P but don't think the OH will go for it somehow :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jane,

Each of your postings brings back very happy holiday memories for me. Starting from about 25 years ago Joan and I together with our son Chris took an annual three or four week self catering villa holiday in La Parata, Mojacar. A couple of years after the Pueblo Indalo was built we had our last holiday in Mojacar and we haven’t been back since. Over the years we made some special friends with people living in and around Mojacar but I think most of them have “moved on”.

I still have an “Indalo Man” on the back of my car and the story is that if you do that you will return one day. Maybe, one never knows with these things.

With regards the pool, I would go for a very light blue liner with a textured and patterned border. I know it’s boring, it may even be unfashionable, but I suspect anything else will eventually go the way of the avocado bathroom suite.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan Knighting wrote: it may even be unfashionable
If so, isn't it already dated, like avocado Alan? :)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Giddy Goat wrote:
Alan Knighting wrote: it may even be unfashionable
If so, isn't it already dated, like avocado Alan? :)
More than likely!

These are just personal thoughts but for me a light blue liner gives a clean, clear and sparkling impression whereas a pale beige liner makes a pool look as though it needs a thorough cleaning and a light green liner makes a pool look as though it’s infested with algae.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan Knighting wrote:whereas a pale beige liner makes a pool look as though it needs a thorough cleaning
Perhaps the only ones you've looked at at close quarters did need cleaning Alan! :wink: