Extra Guest (but not over max)

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Musetta

Extra Guest (but not over max)

Post by Musetta »

would you say something?

My housekeeper had prepared the house for 3 guests (that they listed in my booking contract) and text messaged me to just let me know that 4 showed up and are staying there...now...the house does sleep 4, so it's not that big of a deal...but feel maybe I should nicely point out to them when they get home that they did break the terms of my contract (that states all guests must be listed) and it wouold have been very helpful to my housekeeper to know if they were adding anotheer person at the last minute? or...do I keep my big mouth shut and let it go (seem to be having a problem keeping quiet this week for some reason...must be Spring Fever ;-) )
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I know that most people in LMH think that our system is very complicated but it does mean we have never had this situation arise and that, when guests have had someone extra in to stay, they come and actually volunteer the extra cash.
Our prices are on the basis of 2 people staying, with an extra 5 Euros per night per person above that (up to 6 in the largest apartments - 3 double/twin bedrooms).
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Margaret,
I also think it helps quite a bit that you are there onsite :-) and people know you will know who's there and who's not.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Musetta

I've had this before too. Although I'm on site I still only got to find out when they all turned up.
Although it didn't take them over the occupancy level of the house (so I wasn't bothered about money) I still hadn't prepared the correct number of beds or put out the correct number of towels - so an inconvenience.

They apologised when they saw me running round trying to sort additional bedding/towels out for them and having to delay an appointment I was going to!

I would mention it to them. Although not too heavy handed.
Also, don't you have to supply the names of people who you rent to in Italy to the authorities? If so then I'm sure thats a very strong reason why you would have to have details of all guests on the booking form.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Good point Mouse, we wer certainly registered as guests with the local police when we stayed with Casa Ciapolin.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Musetta

I too would say something and yes all of the names must go on your sheda di notifica, the notification forms for the police.

It might not be a bad idea in future to list as sleeping 2 + and make the extra charge for any over that number of guests.

They are cheeky :!:

Chianti
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

My charges are for the whole house irrespective of occupancy and as such it is prepared as though it was fully occupied, ie all the beds made up and towels left out.

So an extra person arriving wouldn't inconvenience anyone but out of courtesy I do think they should have let you know.

Just curious, but can I ask the people who make up the number of beds to match the guests on the booking form

How do you decide which beds to leave unmade? Does it mean that in effect you are deciding your guests sleeping arrangements for them?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If people have paid the full rental, the surely you should make up all of the beds, so they can choose? If I give people a reduced rate for a larger cottage, I'll ask them which beds to make up, but if they have paid the full price surely they should be able to sleep in a different bed each night if they feel like it.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

all beds were made...so that wasn't a problem...more that is just threw off my wonderful housekeeper...she usually bakes some nice goodies :-) and sets out the table for tea/coffee, etc. for the number of guests arriving...and leaves the correct amount of hand towels at the sinks, etc.

In Italy, guests must be reported...so I am sure she was then scrambling to get their info. and since her English is not good, this was probably stressful for her - I usually type up the names, etc. for her so she knows what to expect.

I'm sure they didn't think anything of it since there are 4 beds...so more just that they were cheeky really to not bother to tell me. (I also like to know who is in the house because, heaven forbid, something happened to someone on my property, I don't know how the insurance co. would handle the liability unknown people staying in the house - may not make a difference, but I think it is certainly courteous to tell an owner if there are extra people)

They emailed me from Florence the evening before they were arriving to tell me how excited they were and what time they would get in...so would have been nice if they'd have mentioned it. Won't make a big deal about it (because it's not) but thinking maybe I should nicely point out that they should, in future, disclose all guests when staying in a rental home.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I agree. Even if a couple have booked a 3 bedroom apartment, I still make up all the beds. Partly so that they can choose where they sleep and partly so that all the rooms look nice. Our extra charge is mainly for tourist tax, hot water and towels rather than bedlinen.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I used to make up all the beds, but to be honest I wasn't happy washing sheets that probably hadn't been touched, I couldn't take the risk of leaving them on - so a total waste of time, energy and the environment IMO, possibly washing and ironing clean sheets, the cost isn't an issue with me.

So I changed.
I now ask guests if they need all the beds made up. They usually know if they want singles or twins and private bathrooms - so the back bedroom (a twin and shared bathroom) rarely gets choosen if there's 6 couples.
If anyone asks for a reduction I'm quite happy to pass on the small saving - but they never have and I've had no one ask for them all to be made up.

I would never make up only one bed in a twin room tho'....as much as its a waste it would look a bit mean.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
enid

Post by enid »

What about if there was a fire and you told the fireman there were only 3 people in there!!!
Ju

Post by Ju »

I've been through both loops with this one - I started by making up just the beds that were needed, but then got a couple who wanted the extra beds as one of them snored. I thought it was a bit embarassing for them to have to ask so I then got to making up all the beds. But I do feel this is a bit of a waste - especially when there are only four people in the house which sleeps 11.

So now I make up the beds - adding one or two above the number on the booking form, (and always making up a complete room) and then leave bedlinen for the other beds folded on the beds.

This means if they need the beds the bedding is there, and if they don't I know if it hasn't been used. Given the layout of the houses it is usually easy to guess which beds won't be used.

We quite often get add-ons, usually people who were in the area and visit for a couple of nights. As long as it doesn't exceed the occupancy of the property I don't mind at all. Some people are polite enough to ask - others aren't - but if they don't ask it isn't usually because they are being cheeky, simply that they didn't want to bother us.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

When we let our house for self-catering rather than B&B we can accommodate up to 10. Three of the rooms have twins which are normally linked as doubles unless required as twins so we have the opportunity to ask people in advance how they want the beds made up. This is useful when it is booked for less than the maximum as it means we can identify which rooms not to make up.
I am with those don't want to wash unnecessarily - total waste of water, electricity and effort. We do give a discount for under-occupancy but only to reflect the washing/use of water (which is expensive as we don't have mains water). No one has ever pushed for more than we offer as they seem to recognise that they are not just paying for bedrooms but for use of all the facilities as well.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com