They didn't like the washing machine?! (VENT)

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Goodness, are you sure you are in the right job Chianti? I think it takes all sorts and my list of guest annoyances is far shorter than yours, but then I'm in the hospitality business and the customer is always right.
For me, with 2 young children (one a 14mth old toddler with whom every mealtime is a battle at the moment), a washing machine and a microwave are essential. I do a wash every other day. TV is a plus if only to see the weather forecast. Even if it is in Italian.
The address on the contract may be the owners, not that of the actual property, so why shouldn't guests double check. I'd much rather they did that than end up completely lost. Those that want the address for SatNav may not be sure of exactly what to input.
La Vache

I don't think you read what Musetta wrote or you wouldn't suggest the above. The list relates to her post only and people on holiday in her rental apartment, it's not about someone's lifestyle at home. It was written tongue in cheek.

We have a microwave for our guests, but don't expect them to complain about what is not on the list, however suggestions are always invited and improvements will always be made. I've been in the hospitality business probably longer than most on the forum, worked for their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales in a hospitality capacity and the feed-back on my listings will varify my attitude towards our guests.

Having been told the address 3 or 4 times and having it at the top of your contract, but continually asking for it, is quite different from double checking. I hardly think this set of guests brought a satnav with them or would have been happy watching the mind numbingly dull Italian TV.

There is no excuse for not reading the instructions for the washing machine, they can't expect it to be like their own. I, in fact, spin on the 600 cycle to do my bit for the planet and insure that there are less creases, then use a clothes rack to dry them. If they washed their clothes in good time before they left, even using a 600 cycle they would have been bone dry. What I suspect is; that they decided to use Musetta's machine to wash their clothes so that they wouldn't have to do so on their return and left it so late they failed to dry.

Before you jump to conclusions and criticise I suggest you read some of the threads where forum members have complained about their own guests and address your comments to them for having done so.

Chianti
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Chianti,
It was you who suggested that a new thread be started for
one for writing clauses like the following in ones terms and conditions
No mention of Musetta's problems specifically. I find your opinions about guests a bit negative, that is why I posed the question about why you are in this job. We all have problems, but I don't think that the things you mentioned were particularly symptomatic of being a 'problem' guest. Well, not to me, anyway.
Do you have a link to your own property yet?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I've been in the hospitality business probably longer than most on the forum, worked for their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales in a hospitality capacity and the feed-back on my listings will verify my attitude towards our guests.
You are certainly knowledgeable and I'm sure you treat your guests with respect.

If a client who had inquired with you were to read your previous post, how do you think they would characterize your attitude toward guests?

You may have meant it to be completely tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think LV's interpretation is a fluke. It reads as a bit hostile to me too.

I'm not trying to criticize, I'm trying to point out that your post might turn off potential guests, were they to come across it.
Brooke
olive

Post by olive »

Musetta,
Your cleaner sounds like she is an angel - you are so lucky. Mine wouldn't even notice undone stitching on a cushion.
We all get problem guests: don't worry.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Brook
That's why I don't use a website address. I think you should look carefully at many of the posts in which members use theirs, as there are many in which I would be horrified for others to associate with my property. I think you should read the thread on the B&B section where the foibles of their clients are discussed openly and in jest.

The forum is for open discussion of the business of owning and managing a rental property and as long as there's no abuse, then it's important that owners can put their views across. It's up to them if they want their posts listed by the search engines under their website addresses.

Clearly many tourists/guests leave their brains at home and in the case of Musetta's I'm not so sure they had any in the 1st place. There are many kinds of tourists/guests, so far, I've been lucky not to have the problems which she has encountered. but there are some, mainly from America, even in this day and age who ask:

When being guided around Athens, when they will be taken to see the pyramids. The guide very kindly told them where they were located.

Others ask if the olives on the trees which they are passing have pimentos inside them. Their kind guide told them that; yes they did and in another part of Greece they grow with the almonds inside.

There is the famous story of the tourist who stopped the guide in her commentary on St Pauls cathedral, in which she was mentioning the dimensions, to ask how much the cathedral weighed. The guide politely asked, with, or without the tourists.

Woe be the owner who has that sort of guest in their property.

La Vache
It's a debatable point these days if one can say that the client or customer is always right. If that were the case then none of us would take safety/breakage deposits, do remember Fibi's thread about the beer drinking rowdies and a number of others where loss has ocurred. Also single sex groups are not accepted by many owners these days. Years ago that phrase could be applied, but sadly I don't think it can be any more. I'm sure you won't use it so freely after you suffer damage.

We are however, in a service industry, those of us who live on-site even more so, and as has been said, most of us aren't in this business for the money.

Chianti
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The presence of my website high in the Google searches is probably due to having a link to my property on LMH, and also on my skiing forum. A risk we all take, but most of us do like to share our properties with others on here. For example, if we take advice from someone on here, we would like to be able to see that they do know what they are talking about. If they are reviewing a website, we might like to compare theirs too.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Helen

Granted, but sharing ones website with other owners can also be done privately.

Chianti
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes, but not so easy to do. I'd prefer to be open about these things, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. We mention no guest names on this forum, and if the guilty parties choose to assume it it them that is being discussed, they must have something to feel guilty about. We have a private section if anyone wished to be more discreet. I don't think any of us overstep the mark. If you aren't badmouthing your guests then you should have nothing to hide.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Helen

It's not about being open or not, it's simply personal choice. I'm sure you're aware that one forum member recently had to change their forum name so as not to show up on searches relating to their area, which proves there are disadvantages. I recently had a forum member challenge me about not displaying my website, being on the nosey side they weren't satisfied until they found it, so went in search, then pm'ed me to say so. As I was expecting them I noticed their view on my stat counter so their nose arrived before their message. This kind of behavior from some forum members is childish, bullying and certainly not in a good spirit.

I simply don't think it's the way to publicise ones property, there are enough other methods in which to do so.

I think if you actually read many of the threads with this in mind, you will see that many comments, even about cleaning/contracts/late arrivals etc may not look good to potential clients. If as stated by La Vache; that the customer is always right, then it certainly won't look good to potential clients as they don't know who's right or wrong.

Chianti
enid

Post by enid »

I'm with Helen on this one. Also for me when someone posts on here I like to look at their website and get a rounder picture of them as a property owner - nothing sinister in that. But then we all operate differently. I have always been happy to post under my own name no need to go searching for me - there I am warts and all :)
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Enid

On most forums the users rarely have websites but the members have no difficulties in getting to know each other and make friends. I have viewed many of the websites belonging to LMH forum members but don't remember for one minute whos belongs to whom and don't relate anyone to their website, only to their posts, so find it virtually useless. I don't know how many times I've seen posts from some members asking why newer ones don't show their websites, Jaydeep was one who had to justify his reasons. Before you mention it, yes I do know his real identity as Paolo informed the forum, but that had nothing to do with displaying his property in Spain, and yes he was naughty, but nice too.

The person who pm'ed me for a snoop wasn't genuine as they stated in 1 of their pm's and I quote:

Re: Web site
Just interested - I like to see the properties of other LMhatters - always planning that next holiday

If you believe that you would believe anything!!

Chianti
enid

Post by enid »

Well you do have a property in a lovely part of the world so it could be true.

hey it was me that sent you that pm I realise - so it was true!!!!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Enid

So does Musetta and quite a few others.

Chianti
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Chianti isn't trying to recommend listing sites to us, and thus is under no obligation to post a website address or any property information. That is strictly a matter of personal choice and Chianti shouldn't be judged harshly for not providing a link.

I must say, though, that if someone kept a record of all the stupid questions I've ever asked, it would be good for a lot of laughs at my expense! :)
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

As I said above, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I simply stated the reason why I choose to put a link ot my website on my signature. If anyone chooses not to, that is their decision, provided that it is within forum rules. I don't see any problems with names either, again it is personal chioce what you choose to use.