Cheeky requests for discount!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
harcourtv57

Cheeky requests for discount!

Post by harcourtv57 »

Just had a request for our one bedroom apartment for two weeks in June, which happen to be on late availability. After many e-mails and many questions, it has been reduced to four nights (weekend break). Now have another e-mail asking if I can reduce the rate by a third 'because they are on a budget and their flights have cost more than they expected' !!!!!!!! my inclination is to ask if they would have considered asking the airline to reduce their flight costs?! Or the car hire firm - but of course in the interests of customer service I will ever so politely say its not possible . . .
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Interesting issue. I think you can certainly go back and say that 'like airlines etc. you cannot reduce prices further at the request of customers'.
I have the same issue with advance payments - they pay 100% at the time of booking for airlines and ferries, so why not for accommodation?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

".....they pay 100% at the time of booking for airlines and ferries, so why not for accommodation?"

One reason is that an airfare purchased a year in advance (and February 2009 half-term UK to Geneva is a good example) could be had for £35 each way by booking end of Feb. 2008. Booking nearer the time the punter could well end up having to pay £800 each way. Supply and demand I guess.

Hotels take credit card details for a reservation without charging - why should our accommodation be different? I really admire your strategy, Margaret, but knowing our repeat punters quite well by now, would be embarrassed to ask for it.

MG
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I did point out that the apartment still worked out considerably cheaper than what local hotels were charging for the same weeked (I checked!) and was a large spacious apartment and not just one room - and she still came back and said she appreciated all that but would like to negotiate the price! Then I started to worry whether I would get a booking for that weekend anyway and may end up with nothing - but really there is a limit. I doubt whether the hotels would have negotiated their prices either, but can afford to have rooms empty.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Saga continues! - after standing firm and saying no further discount the customer booked. However, as its less than a month away, full payment was due no later than today. Today I get an e-mail, again about how short of money they are etc etc, and can they pay a deposit now and then cash on arrival!! Needless to say I have said no and explained politely that should they then not fulfill the booking (which is looking likely) then it will be too late for us to book to anyone else.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

good for you for being firm! :-)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes - you're absolutely right to stand your ground and must remember to let us know the outcome; it's a real battle of wills with this lot, and may the best Harcourt win!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Post script - guests came back and said they definitely want to book and can they pay by credit card - explain yes and via Paypal (which was already explained on the booking form). Offer to take rental via Paypal now and security deposit in cash on arrival if that makes it easier for them , but no they insist they want to pay the whole amount via Paypal so its all done and dusted so send invoice. No response - send reminder - three days later (Sunday) get e-mail and phone message asking why the Paypal invoice is higher than the rental amount - explain again about Paypal charges, ok they will pay on Tuesday when they next get access to a computer. Have just received e-mail saying that they have decided they no longer want to rent the apartment and will be making alternative arrangements for accommodation that weekend . . . how predictable!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You just have that gut feeling that the booking just isn't going to happen don't you? Similar one last Summer, eventually ended up with no booking after almost three weeks of to-ing and fro-ing. I held the apartment for her for almost a week, then she decided she wanted a discount. I had already discounted that week, and said no. A week later, she rang out of the blue and asked could she book. I was already processing the booking, and emailing her the invoice when she asked if I could find another apartment for her friends who wanted to come too.
I have a booking today that has not managed to find their way through to the payment page, so it remains to be seen if I have to release the dates again.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Yes, its funny how you get a feeling about these things - I even said to Mike before they phoned at the weekend that I was sure it wouldn't result in a booking - I have kept the dates free in the calendar but as its only 2 weeks away may not get another enquiry. How I love those guests who phone or e-mail (having already looked at the calendar for availability and looked at the rental rates) and ask how they can book, then send the booking form straight back with payment! Bliss!