Newbie from Portugal

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Mamacats

Newbie from Portugal

Post by Mamacats »

Hello from Portugal,

We are in the finale stages of acquiring our vacation home/holiday rental.
This has been a dream of ours for many years; owning a small apartment in the Algrave area of this lovely country, anticipation is high in regards to long walks on the beach, sipping expresso at the beach front cafes and candle light dinners on our sea view varranda.

We are going to wait until next year before attempting to rent during the holiday season May thru September. This year we want to fix up the apartment and meet the locals besides setting up a website, finding a cleaning crew and possibly a company to help with renting out the place.

Never did I realize how much there is to do until reading this forum.
What a find! It was strictly by chance while looking for apartments for sale/rental, but now I am hooked! Thank you all for the endless information, tips, helpful hints and stories which surely will help us towards making a successful go of our new venture.

Sincerely,
Mamacats
goosie

Post by goosie »

welcome! just a word of advice on timing (from reading more experienced home-owener's advice!). You may want to get you apartment advertised well before next year's season starts.

We started in March this year and, from what I can tell, will have missed the signficant number of people who book their summer holidays just after the Christmas break. It's not just to annoy us that big holiday firms start advertising their destinations on tv when the rest of us are slumped on the sofa stuffed full of turkey, it is that time of year when people do start thinking about their summer hols.

Even if the apartment is not actually ready, having some well thought out photos and ad could make all the difference to yoru first year of renting.

good luck
Mamacats

Post by Mamacats »

Hello Goosie,

Thank you for the welcome and the needed advice!
We had not even begun to consider when we should start to advertise the apartment for rent but in the back of my mind I would have said February or March if asked…….
So this summer will be the time to work and place an advert before Christmas, yes?
Or perhaps right before Thanksgiving?

Thanks again
Sincerely,
Mamacats
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm closing this thread and directing all replies to the duplicate thread at viewtopic.php?t=6698 .
Brooke