Image downloading query

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

A2, when we (LMH thread) were talking before about protecting images, I tried Digimarc - their website was the most frustrating I've ever visited, persistent circles of information leading nowhere and they were very difficult to deal with. The idea is great (digital traceable watermarking) but their marketing and presentation is beyond awful. Is there a free or reasonably priced version? They imply there is, but couldn't find it.

My choice was to use visible watermarking which looks terrible, but was the only solution at the time for the website I did for our photographer in Switzerland.

If anyone can help with digital traceable watermarking, at a reasonable cost would be great to know. Didn't we suggest at one time a shared subscription for LMH - a group of LMHers could use the system for a reasonable cost? In fact, that's still a good idea - say 20 of us, joint LMH subscription, around $25 each and 10k of images to protect.

MG
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Have a look at http://www.digitalwatermarkingalliance.org/

As far as I can see Digimarc is the only traceable system.

If you want protection against others using your commercial images I wouldn't have thought $500 was a lot of money.

If it's just because you don't want someone else using your images then either fork out for the full system, use a cheaper method & try to track them by yourself or forget it.

I'm not condoning the use of others copyrighted material but from personal experience you can spend a lot of time & energy or money protecting your IPR.

I also don't accept Jimbo's premise that someone who use his images are taking money from his wallet, in my experience people who steal someones copyrighted material are extremely unlikely to actually pay for it anyway, so you are not actually out of pocket.
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I'm refreshing this rather than starting a new thread as the present one makes a wonderful read, featuring as it does some fairly powerful figures of the past, and our Jimbo: still with us and very much into copyright issues - and justice in general.

After much discussion on LMH I have (I hope) made all my images on our Flickr gallery bombproof.

Yesterday, I was approached by an editor of kids' books in Japan. He is putting together one about racket sports and wondered if I would permit him to use an image I have on Flickr of "Paleta Gomme," one of a number of similar games played in the Pays Basque region of south-west France.

I was happy not to request a fee, but on Jimbo's suggestion I wrote back and said I would be pleased to assist if he would give me accreditation, and send me a copy of the book once it was published.

Not a big ask I'd have thought.

His reply:
Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid that we cannot afford to send you copies of the book because of the small budget.

Would you please let me know if it is acceptable to you to receive a PDF file of the pages?

I hope you will understand the situation.
Please let me know your answer by return.
I haven't replied yet. Any suggestions?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I would think that's probably the best you'll get from him Jane, I'd go for it, would be good to see you credited in print. :)
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I would think that's probably the best you'll get from him Jane, I'd go for it, would be good to see you credited in print.
I could paper the Great North Road with touching messages from organisations wanting to use our photographs, but claiming to have a 'restricted' or 'limited' or 'no' budget for photography. And these are by no means only small publishing houses; often they are big multi-national companies or household names. 'No budget' for a childrens' book engenders images of Dickensian grind - selfless and noble individuals working long hours for nothing in darkened rooms to ensure the education of the precious next generation. Unfortunately, the scenario is more likely to be merely that old commercial mantra - less expenses equals more profit. And these feckless organisations are laughing all the way to their banks, thanks to the misguided generosity of kindly amateur photographers.

It's not for me to suggest what you should do with your own property. But, before you decide to give away your birthright for not even a mess of pottage, you might wish to listen first to the feisty American screenwriter Harlan Ellison (apologies for the robust language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Jim
lorca

Post by lorca »

Giddy Goat wrote: I haven't replied yet. Any suggestions?
Personally I would do what you feel comfortable with. If you´re happy to let him use it with a credit, go for it. If you feel it´s "giving away your birthright" ...or you´re just not happy about it, then say sorry but no.

It might be a bit cheeky, but least he´s been honest.
If not now, when?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I am afraid that we cannot afford to send you copies of the book because of the small budget.

might be the truth but it might not. One book from the print run plus the cost of posting would not have dented their budget (or expected profits) much anyway, so I will be gently refusing on principle I think Lorca. Not that I expect to change the world by doing so!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

It might be a bit cheeky, but least he´s been honest.
You might wonder about the ethics of an organisation setting out to produce something for commercial use that relies on the generosity of strangers to provide some of its essential components? Would you manufacture a vehicle in that way? Or convert an empty outbuilding into a rental unit? If there’s a genuine reason (and there might be) for needing to source GG’s picture for nothing, why not give her the courtesy of explaining those reasons to her? Even when we’ve sold pictures to a book publisher, they nearly always send a copy (often several) of the finished book – that’s how it works and that’s how everybody who is reputable understands how it works.

It’s the mean-spiritedness of GG’s publisher that offends. Want something for nothing, want it in a hurry but not be willing to make even the smallest gesture to say ‘thank you, we much appreciate your generosity’. You also have a legal right to accreditation for your photographs (moral rights), but you may have to ‘assert’ this. Reputable publishers will usually offer a credit automatically – if they don’t, draw your own conclusions.
Not that I expect to change the world by doing so!
GG, who knows? This is a public forum and this thread will have been read by many visitors. Might even have convinced a few.

Jim