Scam, or quick-thinker who doesn't want to miss out?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Ecosse

Scam, or quick-thinker who doesn't want to miss out?

Post by Ecosse »

Hello, wondering whether I could have an opinion on this one? Something doesn't seem quite right... Mr Gmj took the phonecall today and it was uncharacteristically brief, basically: 'Just seen your advert (leboncoin, 1/2 price offer for unsold Feb week), is it still available? Yes? Great! Send me a quote for the full amount and I'll get the secretary to write you the cheque.' This is unusual for us, we tend to get people who want a lot of info and usually get back to us later with a yes or no, after they've checked with the rest of the group.

Shortly after, we get the first e-mail, so that we can send her the info:

Suite à notre discussion téléphonique j'attends votre devis par mail
afin de vous envoyer la réservation merci cordialement.
Mlle Dxxx Sxxx

Info is sent out and the following e-mail comes quickly back:

j'ai bien accusé réception de votre mail pouvez-vous cependant m'envoyer un devis incluant le tarif global en rajoutant s'il vous plaît le votre prix pour la literie avec l'en-tête de votre établissement cordialement.
Mlle Dxxx Sxxx

We ask for address to write the contract and get the following:

je vous envoie les informations pour mettre à jour le devis
Madame Mxxx Dxxx au numéro suivant portable: (3 French numbers, provided)
à l'adresse suivante (company address that exists, which matches the land line number provided above)

Finally, after the contract is sent:

J'accuse réception du devis et du contrat de location , je demanderai auprès de la secrétaire de faire dès demain le nécessaire pour la réservation.
Je me reste a votre entière disposition.
Cordialement.
Mlle Dxxx Sxxx

We're proceeding with caution, but we're just not sure if we're being over cautious? Apart from the speed of response, the oddities for us are the different name for the contract, the insistence of a contract on headed paper (she also phoned up again during this to ask this) and the 'secretary will send out the cheque'

We're half expecting an overpayment scam, or possibly an attempt to get a free holiday (thought of a way round that one), but would it be possible that she was trying to get as much info about our property, including our standard contract in order to clone our property? Anybody else had anything similar??
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

The language seems very formal for someone wanting to book a Holiday in a gite including asking for a devis. Would it not be better to ask for a bank transfer rather than a cheque?

As you have been in phone contact, did you sense anything strange in the conversation?

Can you ascertain what sort of company it is, as it seems unusual that a company can pay for someone's holiday, unless it is to reduce tax.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

We do get similar enquiries/booking from foyers and associations i would give them a call if your not sure. The only real problem we have is getting the money from them.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I think you're right to proceed with caution. The fact that you have spoken by phone and have had a continuous communication suggests it could be genuine, but your radar is already on full alert so I would tread carefully/
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I was holding off responding as I was waiting to see if a cheque arrived... but nothing.

So, we're now on the lookout for a cloning attempt... i.e. they wanted our contract to send out to people they're trying to scam so as to look more genuine. If we're right, though, we're really hoping their heart sank when they saw our surname on the contract... Irish, full of extra letters and very difficult even for your average Celt to pronounce :lol:
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

It is always good to be cautious but it does sound quite typical of bookings we have from associations/foyers or companies you have to keep chasing the money!!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

What Bassman said. A lot of admin - bills, bank cheques....but nice if you can get them as they are often in the week!