Filming a video-clip at your vacation rental?

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
debk

Filming a video-clip at your vacation rental?

Post by debk »

Hi, all -

Just got a call from a woman looking to rent a Portuguese home for half a day in order to shoot a video-clip of a woman ("packing her suitcase") for some unknown British singer's upcoming music video. They'll pay €150 for this "half day." I told her our main rental house was booked for their dates and our apartments are pretty small... but she saw them on the site and said she liked the pics and might get back to me.

Assuming that she does, should I allow them to do this? After we hung up, I admit I had stereotypical visions of smashing guitars and grafitti-stained walls. Ah it's probably just a folksinger's video-clip, right?

Um... payment of €150 in cash up front for 4 hours, with every extra consecutive hour (or part thereof) at €50 per hour? And, of course, a €200 refundable damage deposit in cash at the start to be returned when all is back in tip-top shape?

Doing the Fine Living Channel's "Around the Home in 80 Days" show at our main property was such a no-brainer that I automatically responded rather positively to this request. But the 80 Homes program brought a lot of business... and this will bring none. Just the warm fuzzies of helping some anxious wannabe star and a little extra cash on a non-booked day.

I'm now hoping I don't hear from these people again but would still enjoy the lively thoughts and comments of the laymyhat gang. Anyone?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

My initial thoughts:

It sounds like fun to me, as long as they aren't destructive, and it could be very good for advertising if you phrase it right!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

It seems odd that they want to film in Portugal, unless they are filming there anyway. You can achieve an inside shoot like this anywhere - or is there something about your house that is quintessentially Portuguese? I'd find out the name of the singer and his record label, then you can check if it's bona fide.

Depending on the size of the crew, they could cause a lot more than 200 euros of damage. But then one clumsy person could do that too.
Paolo
Lay My Hat