Spanish guests

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
sue c

Spanish guests

Post by sue c »

Bit of an embarassing topic, this one. I was warned by someone who lets a property via Spanish agents not to let to Spanish guests as many 'removable' items might be removed. I find it hard to believe that this would be the case, but looking at some Spanish-owned holiday homes I did notice that they were rather sparsely equipped. As I assume most Spanish visitors would be driving, do they expect to bring their own tea-towels, coffee-makers, etc?

Does anyone have experience of what Spanish guests would expect? Hopefully, nobody has any horror stories and I can happily market to Spain. I have no experience of this as all my advertising is via UK web-sites and publications.
debk

Post by debk »

I think it might depend on your target market (eg, your rates). Maybe you could charge a bigger damage deposit, if you are concerned about this? I'd keep asking though to find out if this was just one person's (baseless) horror story.

On a somewhat related note, I recently had my first Portuguese renter. She lives right here in Lisbon but was having some extended family visit from Indonesia and South Africa. Rather than have them book a hotel, she stayed with them at our three-bedroom property. It was actually great fun to have a local here... the tourists love the location but the locals are the ones who really understand the value of where we are. Plus, she was the first (and no doubt only) guest to recognize the famous (within Portugal) actor who lives across the street. Funny.

Good luck with your bookings!
oskar

Post by oskar »

You should find Spanish guests no different from any other nationality.

Just 2 points though...........

They tend to smoke a lot more, and.........

they´re less inclined to pay the going rate! :wink:
sue c

Post by sue c »

Deb and Oskar

My apologies for not picking up your responses before now - I somehow missed them amongst the wealth of topics on the Forum! Thanks for replying - I'm quite sure now that this was just a scare story. And perhaps I should follow Oskar's example and start marketing to the locals?

Are we in for another seriously hot summer this year? Unfortunately I only seem to get to Spain out of season and when it's at its coldest or wettest - but perhaps I should get there more often, and forget about the lettings?
debk

Post by debk »

Looks like another scorcher. If this keeps up, we'll install AC in the rentals. Problem is, when weather is "normal" AC is not necessary.

No doubt, if we ever install AC, we'll bring on the coldest summer on record. :lol:
sue c

Post by sue c »

debk - please give me plenty of warning before you install your AC and Ill make sure I get over for some good weather first!
meseta

Post by meseta »

"You should find Spanish guests no different from any other nationality"

I think you are being extremely naive with this statement ! All nationalities are different, even Brummies and Geordies and different !
oskar

Post by oskar »

I think you misunderstood what I meant, Meseta.

What I meant was that there are good and bad Spanish guests just as there are good and bad British guests. Just because they are Spanish, doesn´t make them any better or worse than British guests, apart from the 2 points I mentioned. Some Spanish guests have left my villas as spotless as the day they arrived. Lanzarote is an extremely popular place for Spaniards from the mainland to holiday, and owners here have no qualms in general about letting out their properties to them, apart from the language problems.
cova santacruz

Targetting Spanish guests

Post by cova santacruz »

I've just opened my place and I have an account with owners direct but it is only in English and I also want to reach Spanish guests.

What methods have you had the most success with? So far I have an account with rentalia - which has brought me my first paying guests :D
brenda

Post by brenda »

To reach a good volume of Spanish guests place a free ad on www.niumba.com

You will get many enquiries but, the Spanish do like to contact owners by phone rather than email, and those that do send emails seldom speak English so how is your Spanish?
cova santacruz

Post by cova santacruz »

thanks brenda I'll have a look at that - my Spanish is fine so that's not a problem
bilito

Post by bilito »

Hello cova, look loquo.com and segundamano.es