No bookings or enquiries

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I think that iowners and rentalspages are sorta websites and listing sites aren't they? Not too certain how it works ... someone will tell me I hope.
e-richard wrote:So, Pelly, things to look at may include your selection of listing sites, the advert wording and pictures, how you respond, how quickly you respond, your pricing, and so many other similar things that I don't have the right answers to, but over the years have read many useful ideas in various posts here on LMH
Pelly says she advertises on Chez Nous, and some free sites. Finding the most appropriate listing sites are fundamental to bringing in enquiries and bookings, that's always been true - and the basic principles of selling the holiday, such as have been discussed (thrashed out :wink: ) here are as important when presenting ones property in an ad for the listing sites as they are for a personal website, which we're all in agreement about too. My understanding is that Pelly isn't even getting as far as receiving enquiries, apart from a handful. So dealing with them is one step further up the learning curve. Plenty of support will be available here for that too I'm sure.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Pelly

Post by Pelly »

I personally think the rate of exchange hasn't helped neither has the airfares, although you can still get a good deal through most of the economy airlines, especially Ryanair which flies from Stanstead.
Another thing is of course the price of fuel for someone to drive down.My sister has commented on this.Also people don't know this area, it is pretty remote although there are some larger towns within easy reach.Once people come they say how lovely it is.Very French!
At the moment the weather is glorious. In fact it too hot. Its been up to 131°F in the sun.
We've had a few enquiries, but although I have got straight on to it, nothing comes of them.A couple of people have said how nice it is but as we have no garden they didn't want to know.We don't sit out in the garden, its too hot!
I used to have money now I have horses; cats;dogs & chickens; not forgetting 2 daughters!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Pelly, just a thought, do you not have anywhere that you could create a small space for even a table and chairs and a parasol? No outdoor space would definitely put me off, but somewhere to sit with a book or a glass of wine in the evenings would probably persuade me. It needn't be large or grand.I think Musetta had a simialr problem with her Italian apartment.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti wrote:Alan

You've done enough pestering me for my website. When I need your advice about it, then I will be happy to show it to you. Most on this forum have seen it.
Maybe they have seen it but I haven’t. The last thing I want to do is advise you on your website but I would like to see it. You criticize Pelly for not giving a link to her Listing Sites and yet you give no links whatever to anything to do with you.
Garri wrote:Chianti, Alan only wants to see your website, he's not asking to see your knickers ;-)
From the information given I don’t know if Chianti has a website or not and I certainly don’t know or want to know whether she wears knickers or not.
Chianti wrote:I thought Paolo ran this forum and set the rules. Were you appointed prefect?
Comments like that typify who you are and I’ve had just about enough of that sort of thing from you. No, I’m not the prefect nor am I perfect. You recently gave me a huge sob story in a PM and yet you paint an entirely different picture of yourself on the open Forum.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Pelly, as you said before, not having a garden is reflected in your prices - so the thing to do there is to push the fact that the property backs onto a public footpath, and describe the lovely walks from there plus the other opportunities to explore the local area on foot.

Have you also been checking the availability calendars of other properties in your area? Is the lack of bookings a common phenomenon there?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well :roll:
All I can say is that...
for all the rights and wrongs on this thread, and dead donkeys and such........
The resilience and perseverance Pelly has shown.
Shows me that she has a determination, that will stand her in good stead,with whatever comes her way.
Whether its trying to get her Website sorted,[which seems to be happening] or securing the enquiries/bookings that hopefully will follow.
Lesser Mortals would have skedaddled by now.........
Shes also taken on board lots of the suggestions that people have made........
I wish her well. :)

Take Carexxxxxxx
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

As do I, and I hope she sticks around.
olive

Post by olive »

I'm with MG on this one ("baying pack ").
I don't have the time to read all the posts on this thread but if Pelly is a lost cause, so am I.
Pelly, I really like your home page. I also love the animals & the bird.
(I don't have a website myself as such; I use a collection of photos on Picasa (the free google photo album) - this gets me all the bookings I can handle.)
I think that the natural environment is the way to go for the future and to that extent you're miles ahead of most people.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I agree with Helen and GG regarding the lack of garden - remember - it's not about whether they'd be foolish to want to sit out in the searing heat - it's about selling a dream week to someone sitting inside on awet afternoon in Manchester.

Helen's idea regarding a small table is something I'd definitely take on board. I really would be mortified to find I had nowhere to sit outside at all!

It seems that your property is going to appeal to a very specific type of customer who wants to get away from it all, and does not want to lounge around a pool or a garden. Almost by definition they are going to have to get out and about, and you say that your area is not well known so put yoursleves in their shoes. To seduce them you need to fill your site with all the positive things that emphasise the strengths you have, which Olive pointed out. Tranquillity, local colour, information about the region - La France Profonde, the local flora and fauna, historic sites and local history, places of interest, local vineyards to visit. Weave a compelling story around your unique strengths - you've probably got loads but you really need to put them on display. Think of yourself like a retailer of holidays - that's what we are after all. The web site is your shop window.

Seduce your visitors both with the style and content of the web site and with the way your respond to their contact. Sell them a welcoming holiday experience that will delight them.

Richard is bang on - the sales process is not down to one component but to the whole way in which the holiday and booking is all packaged up together.

How do you respond to the enquiries you get - by email or by phone? There has been some debate here on this and I think the consensus would be that neither is necessarily "right" in itself - it's a question of personal style.

If you are not very confident on the phone though (and many of us are not) then email might work better. I have to say that I prefer email as it lets me include lots of information and also gives me a valuable record of what has been agreed. You can set up simple templates that you can use over and over again, and hone them over time until they convey the right "mood".

Glad you are sticking it out here too! Nobody should feel chased away! Just ignore the rude by-chatter :wink:

John
Garri

Post by Garri »

olive wrote: Pelly, I really like your home page.
It has improved due to the advice Pelly has received, and acted upon, in this thread.
I think that the natural environment is the way to go for the future and to that extent you're miles ahead of most people.
But you still need a decent roof over your head, eh? Unless you're going to be camping, in which case you'll save loads of money and indeed save yourself from disappointment ;-)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

it's about selling a dream week to someone sitting inside on awet afternoon in Manchester.
Ooo - I've had plenty of those Windy :wink:

Just caught up with this thread...and had a thought; pelly you mentioned you had previous customers who where delighted with your place and surroundings could you go back to them for a bit of market research? Find out what delighted them, what they would suggest are the best things in the area to tempt people and finally(thinking off the top of my head here) could you include a short 'testimonial' in your replies to enquirers along the lines of...if you're undecided about the area here are some of the holiday experiences our past guests have had in this area....

Could you offer your services as a guide?

On the issue of outside space...does your house next door have any that they could use? Or perhaps the countryside at the back would be OK to erect a table and chairs plus BBQ as long as it was moved indoors when not being used?
A rug thrown over grass with a piece of muslin slung through a tree as shade might photograph well

You mentioned the stables in the caves...what do they open onto? Is there a courtyard area?
Could a roof terrace be possible anywhere?
Could you install large windows that can open out to the countryside to bring it inside (so to speak)

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Pelly

Post by Pelly »

have been considering giving a sort of mini decking area as a fenced off part of our garden , but the concern is our dogs.They stay on our balcony all day, thought this would be off putting for non dog owners.the other solution is tho build a sort of mini balcony to the other side of the gite , but would being close to the road put people off.
I used to have money now I have horses; cats;dogs & chickens; not forgetting 2 daughters!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Pelly, if your dogs are friendly it shouldnt' be a problem, as long as your guest are aware.
Windy

Post by Windy »

How noisy are the dogs - speaking as someone who loves dogs but lives next door to 2 spaniels that bark all day I would be put off by noisy dogs.

How busy / dusty is the road? Would you sit there yourselves? I know it sounds as though I am contradicting my "I have a dream" spiel, but you do have to be careful about making something look OK but then delivering something that people don't want.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Pelly

I have been watching this thread, but haven't yet contributed as I didn't feel I had anything to add.

When you said previously that there was no outside space I understood that to mean that YOU didn't have any to offer.

If you have some garden then I suggest that you set some aside for the gite as a priority.

As long as your dogs aren't dangerous then just make it clear on your site that you have dogs. As you are looking for like minded people then it shouldn't be a problem.

Do I understand correctly that you also have horses? If so then you could use this as a selling point. You need to find something you can offer that others can't, and horses may fit the bill. Even if you don't let others ride them some people just like to be near horses, and perhaps help look after them.

Ju